Brian De Palma says he thinks the peak of his career period was doing Carlito's Way and then Mission Impossible. Y'all agree or disagree?

Do you agree or disagree?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nose hair

Veteran
Daps
When asked last year to name his peak career period, De Palma didn’t choose any peak from the ‘70s or 80, but, rather, a one-two punch he had in the early ‘90s.

“In my mid 50s [actually his early to mid 50s], doing Carlito’s Way and then Mission: Impossible. It doesn’t get much better than that. You have all the power and tools at your disposal. When you have the Hollywood system working for you, you can do some remarkable things.”

Link to article:

Avisible Man

S/N: 52093850
Daps
When I think of De Palma, I think of Scarface. Then Carlito's Way and The Untouchables, which are both better. Then Carrie and Mission: Impossible.

Screenshot-20221022-012939.png

Screenshot-20221022-012914.png

Screenshot-20221022-012854.png

Carlito's Way, which came out in 93, is ⭐⭐⭐ 1/2 like Carrie. It's not on TV within the week so I can't pull it up, but I know I remember the star rating. It's the same with 96's Mission: Impossible, which is ⭐⭐⭐.

He says his peak was Carlito's Way and M:I, so 93-96, a four year period. I'm taking Scarface in 83 and The Untouchables in 87. He's known for Scarface and followed it up with arguably his best movie four years later.

But it's what HE views as his professional peak. He had two mediocre movies in 1990's The Bonfire of the Vanities and 92's Raising Cain, before he bounced back with Carlito in 93. He had a nice little renaissance with Pacino and Tom Cruise and maybe he felt like that late career resurgence was him back at the top. But that wasn't his critical peak. It was his financial peak.

He got to helm a legit blockbuster in Mission: Impossible after he proved he still had it with Puerto Rican Pacino in Carlito, 10 years after he worked with Cuban Pacino. :wow: He probably looks back at that period with more reverence because he was doubted. I don't blame him. But what he considers his peak with Mission: Impossible 1, has since been surpassed by M:I 3 (my opinion) 4,5 and 6 (without question). To me, he's got the second worst Mission: Impossible (his was still good) after 2, which was poor.

Carlito surpassed Tony Montana. M:I was a hit but The Untouchables is better. Sean Connery won a best supporting actor Oscar in The Untouchables. That's the critical success.

nose hair

Veteran
Daps
With Blowout and Body Double he basically invented the thriller genre. And in-between those he made the cult classic Scarface. That's his best run IMO.

I’m not a movie head so I don’t know, but I thought Alfred Hitchcock basically “invented” the thriller genre

I know De Palma is a huge fan of Hitchcock’s movies too

Marks

as a mountain
Daps
Idk if I fully agree but I think I get what he's trying to say. Mission Impossible might be his greatest work. That first movie is a perfect blend and subversion of so many genres. All while still being playful. Its the kinda shyt you can only do when you're at the top of your game.

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky
Always felt he was hit and miss. Probably more good than bad. Carlitos Way much better shot movie than say Scarface but still had some corny tropes. But for me it's hs last great movie. MI was good. Never thought it was great tho. But a good action flick.

Blowout is considered one of his best but its been a film I never could get into and felt the plot was too just too damn dumb lol.

Thief's Theme

All Star
Daps
Always felt he was hit and miss. Probably more good than bad. Carlitos Way much better shot movie than say Scarface but still had some corny tropes. But for me it's hs last great movie. MI was good. Never thought it was great tho. But a good action flick.

Blowout is considered one of his best but its been a film I never could get into and felt the plot was too just too damn dumb lol.

Blow Out is about the visuals, damn near perfect editing/cinematography... he fukked up by putting his wife in there though, she's an awful actress