Brehs that have been in the military, do you agree with this?

CrushedGroove

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I wouldn't say I miss the heat of battle situations but I do appreciate them sometimes. It helped me to actually value life more as well as put moments in my life in perspective in a way I can't explain.

I tend to not approach what would be considered extra stressful things with a knot in my stomach. I do miss the comraderie, but those people are my life long friends that I still chop it up with. Some of us died and the rest of us will always remember them and toast to their honor.

TRUEST

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Lol it’s a devilish ploy to entice the nutjobs of society. Let’s not even call them that. We need them to go put all that adrenaline to use. True warriors they are. Us civilians though, we good on that.

Son Goku

Great Sage Equalling Heaven
Daps
Sure. :ehh:

Creh might not have explained it very well, but being in them life and death situations is definitely something that bonds you to other people, even if you don't like them at human beings.

Certain situations, even training courses, can make you lifelong friends (and enemies) that you can't make on the outside. Folks you jumped outta planes with, got drowned with, was hiding in the woods or getting shot at with... :wow:

Infantry knows it. Tanker folks know it. Operators know it. Aircrew knows it.

If all you did while you were in was push papers or serve up meals or hand out towels at the fitness center, then nah, you prolly wouldn't understand.
:yeshrug:

Dirty Mcdrawz

Your girl loves em....
Daps
I don’t miss war, but it did change my outlook on life. It made me realize what’s important to me and made me cherish those things. I can’t say I miss the camaraderie because the people I bonded with are still my life long friends whom I still contact regularly. War…is violent and destructive. The people that experience it change after it. If someone misses it they were broken before or something snapped after experiencing it.

Last edited:

Superstar
Daps
To a point, but I think the “putting every ounce of focus” is exaggerating a little for most.

Simply put, it was the most fun job I’ve ever had. I’ve only ever been in combat arms (armored cavalry, mechanized infantry, light infantry, artillery, etc.). Some of that time as a line medic and some of that time as a scout. They just made shyt fun, whether training or making moves outside the wire on deployment. We even joked during contact after a while. In garrison we spent most of our days talking bullshyt or roasting each other if we weren’t chain smoking cigarettes.

Chain of command was pretty laid back because an actual war was going on, and even when they were more by the book they still made it fun. We Weren’t expected to be professional or sit in an office. They always let us hang our nuts wherever we went as long as we had our shyt together and had each other’s backs.

…On the combat side I do miss it. But I know now that the thing that I miss is the surge of brain chemicals that we get when we’re in fight or flight mode. The extreme levels and constant exposure can truly rearrange who you are as a person. The things you’re able to enjoy, the way you perceive things, the way you deal with things.

Sometimes miss the uncertainty of my next step, crossing an unimproved road, known for victim initiated IED’s. Sometimes I miss not knowing if there’s an RPK or DSHK on the other side of the rocks at the top of a valley we’re walking through. Sometimes I’m as equally disturbed and energized from intrusive thoughts of how people can smell cooked after they’ve been shot or blown up.

My heart still races when I randomly remember the dead weight and slack feeling of dragging or flipping someone’s human remains. I still laugh at how frustrated I was trying to put someone in a bag who had been laid out for hours, and was in a state of rigor mortis.

I still cringe when I think about the uncertainty I felt when I heard the “fwop” or “bang” of a recoiless rifle or RPG firing, wondering if it was going to hit me this time. I relax when I think about the relief I felt hearing those rounds explode with a loud “FWOMP!” Or “crunch” somewhere else.

we’re all adaptable. PTSD is the mind/body’s natural way of adjusting to survive traumatic experiences, combat or not.

I miss a lot of it. I don’t miss a lot of it. There’s no real way to describe to someone how it feels to miss something so unreasonable yet natural, because we’re always going to fight as long as there’s more than one of us. We’re still animals at the end of the day and slaves to instinct/nature and nurture. I don’t like the way the video kind of relates to the most dangerous reason for missing it all; allowing combat or your service to be the pinnacle of your life, the greatest thing you’ll ever do.

Life both in and out of combat allowed me to really know who I am and what I’m capable of. To get myself out of the bottomless holes, my mind fell into after war, I had to put it all in perspective for myself. That perspective is that it was a job at the end of the day. Fighting is something we just naturally do, whether fist fight or firing a .50 cal at someone’s silhouette until they fold up and catch on fire. Even trying to get to someone to render medical aid, hoping you have what you need and don’t freeze up when you finally realize you could never have imagined how fukked up they actually ended up being.

I’m here, I'm grounded, I’m alive. I know I’m not a part of it anymore and actively trying to remember is like remembering an old TV show I watched as a kid. Passively memories, the intrusive thoughts, about all the little sensory details are like 8k, 3-D, physically interactive, Christopher Nolan imax movies.

Last edited:

Superstar
Daps
Being outside of the skin of the ship on the open ocean on a windy day can not fukking be beat........that shyt makes my dikk tingle thinking about it

I know I would have despised the Navy but I bet smoking a cigarette on a ship deck at night is a one of kind experience

Richard Glidewell

Superstar
Daps
I know I would have despised the Navy but I bet smoking a cigarette on a ship deck at night is a one of kind experience
Non smoker here, but it used to piss me off how often how many smoke breaks mufukkas took and nobody said nothing I started taking smoke breaks too. I go take an extended dump and I'm getting the third degree

Daps
I wouldn't say I miss the heat of battle situations but I do appreciate them sometimes. It helped me to actually value life more as well as put moments in my life in perspective in a way I can't explain.

I tend to not approach what would be considered extra stressful things with a knot in my stomach. I do miss the comraderie, but those people are my life long friends that I still chop it up with. Some of us died and the rest of us will always remember them and toast to their honor.

fukk no. This some nut shyt

:deadrose:

Richard Glidewell

Superstar
Daps
To a point, but I think the “putting every ounce of focus” is exaggerating a little for most.

Simply put, it was the most fun job I’ve ever had. I’ve only ever been in combat arms (armored cavalry, mechanized infantry, light infantry, artillery, etc.). Some of that time as a line medic and some of that time as a scout. They just made shyt fun, whether training or making moves outside the wire on deployment. We even joked during contact after a while. In garrison we spent most of our days talking bullshyt or roasting each other if we weren’t chain smoking cigarettes.

Chain of command was pretty laid back because an actual war was going on, and even when they were more by the book they still made it fun. Weren’t expected to be professional or sit in an office. They always let us hang our nuts wherever we went as long as we had our shyt together and had each other’s backs.

…On the combat side I do miss it. But I know now that the thing that I miss is the surge of brain chemicals that we get when we’re in fight or flight mode. The extreme levels and constant exposure can truly rearrange who you are as a person. The things you’re able to enjoy, the way you perceive things, the way you deal with things.

Sometimes miss the uncertainty of my next step, crossing an unimproved road, known for victim initiated IED’s. Sometimes I miss not knowing if there’s an RPK or DSHK on the other side of the rocks at the top of a valley we’re walking through. Sometimes I’m as equally disturbed and energized from intrusive thoughts of how people can smell cooked after they’ve been shot or blown up.

My heart still races when I randomly remember the dead weight and slack feeling of dragging or flipping someone’s human remains. I still laugh at how frustrated I was trying to put someone in a bag who had been laid out for hours, and was in a state of rigor mortis.

I still cringe when I think about the uncertainty I felt when I heard the “fwop” or “bang” of a recoiless rifle or RPG firing, wondering if it was going to hit me this time. I relax when I think about the relief I felt hearing those rounds explode with a loud “FWOMP!” Or “crunch” somewhere else.

we’re all adaptable. PTSD is the mind/body’s natural way of adjusting to survive traumatic experiences, combat or not.

I miss a lot of it. I don’t miss a lot of it. There’s no real way to describe to someone how it feels to miss it something so unreasonable yet natural, because we’re always going to fight as long as there’s more than one of us. We’re still animals at the end of the day and slaves to instinct/nature and nurture. I don’t like the way the video kind of relates to the most dangerous reason for missing it all; allowing combat or your service to be the pinnacle of your life, the greatest thing you’ll ever do.

Life both in and out of combat allowed me to really know who I am and what I’m capable of. To get myself out of the bottomless holes, my mind fell into after war, I had to put it all in perspective for myself. That perspective is that it was a job at the end of the day. Fighting is something we just naturally do, whether fist fight or firing a .50 cal at someone’s silhouette until they fold up and catch on fire. Even trying to get to someone to render medical aid, hoping you have what you need and don’t freeze up when you finally realize you could never have imagined how fukked up they actually ended up being.

I’m here, I'm grounded, I’m alive. I know I’m not a part of it anymore and actively trying to remember is like remembering an old TV show I watched as a kid. Passively memories, the intrusive thoughts, about all the little sensory details are like 8k, 3-D, physically interactive, Christopher Nolan imax movies.
Have to save this as a testimonial. People that can't express themselves can make break through when they can read their feelings they couldn't verbalize