Brehs I want to move to New York or Cali. I need advice.

Daps
Reppin
Yeah
Ive been in the DMV all my life. It's time for a change. I'm done with school looking for a career broke up with my girl. I don't really have much to lose :yeshrug:

How much money do I need in order to move?

Best places to live?

Has anyone else done this?

I just want to move somewhere and start a new life :wow:

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
Depends. If you don't have a job, it will be hard to get an apartment. You'll also need money for a security deposit plus rent so that will be like $1000+. You can always try to find a room to rent or find roommates.

Best places to live? :
NYC is expensive. More than the DC area unless you want to live in the slums.

Yes. But I applied for jobs first. Did the interview thing. Got a job offer. Then, moved.

Daps
Reppin
Yeah
Depends. If you don't have a job, it will be hard to get an apartment. You'll also need money for a security deposit plus rent so that will be like $1000+. You can always try to find a room to rent or find roommates.

NYC is expensive. More than the DC area unless you want to live in the slums.

Yes. But I applied for jobs first. Did the interview thing. Got a job offer. Then, moved.

I just new a fresh start :sadbron:

I really want to move to Cali More than Ny.

How did you manage to apply for jobs and land something were taking the train back in forth for the interview process?

big bun

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Ive been in the DMV all my life. It's time for a change. I'm done with school looking for a career broke up with my girl. I don't really have much to lose :yeshrug:

Best places to live?

I just want to move somewhere and start a new life :wow:

Take that money you need for moving, etc and invest it in some stocks...fukk a move, new start at life and other bullshyt. Whatever is going wrong can be solved by investing your money.

WaveCapsByOscorp™

2021 Grammy Award Winner
Daps
yeah, you better have a job. i lucked out when i moved to NOLA because even though i didn't have a job, i had a lot of money before i did it. plus, i could make my own jobs because i'm a musician so there's a certain aspect of hustling i employed to get work. that and while i was waiting to get gigs, i worked on movies a few times a month to get money. if you're going to move to a city without a job but with some nest egg of money, you gotta know how to hustle. in fact, i would say anytime you move without an assigned job where you're going, you've got to hustle up work. it's worth it if you know what to do and how to do it, it's just that people don't know how to. it actually means a lot if you can do that. plus, i didn't have to stay at any crappy crappy jobs just to acquire a paycheck so i could live. basically, i did a lot of things people would love to do just as regular jobs, i did those things to survive and i'm still doing them...

Kilgore Trout

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Alabama
yeah, you better have a job. i lucked out when i moved to NOLA because even though i didn't have a job, i had a lot of money before i did it. plus, i could make my own jobs because i'm a musician so there's a certain aspect of hustling i employed to get work. that and while i was waiting to get gigs, i worked on movies a few times a month to get money. if you're going to move to a city without a job but with some nest egg of money, you gotta know how to hustle. in fact, i would say anytime you move without an assigned job where you're going, you've got to hustle up work. it's worth it if you know what to do and how to do it, it's just that people don't know how to. it actually means a lot if you can do that. plus, i didn't have to stay at any crappy crappy jobs just to acquire a paycheck so i could live. basically, i did a lot of things people would love to do just as regular jobs, i did those things to survive and i'm still doing them...

:myman:

to be a hustler is a to be free

WaveCapsByOscorp™

2021 Grammy Award Winner
Daps
:myman:

to be a hustler is a to be free

really it does. there's no limit to what you can do for yourself. especially when you specialize in something. and it's good to do it while you have the energy. i imagine i'll try to do something like what i'm doing now again in my mid-30's. but instead of doing that in the states, i'm going to go abroad and hustle...

ahomeplateslugger

Superstar
Daps

How did you manage to apply for jobs and land something were taking the train back in forth for the interview process?

phone interview/skype is what most ppl do. your best bet would be to save a nice stack of money up before you make the move.

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA

First, I applied to jobs online,www.monster.com and other sites.
Second, I got calls to set up a phone interview. I didn't get a lot of these.
Third, if the phone interview went well, I got invited for a personal interview. It involved getting interviewed by multiple people. They knew it was a big thing to make a trip out-of-town for an interview so they had me complete all interviews in one day.

It was not easy, but I did it. I drove to my interviews, stayed at a cheap hotel. It was the reverse of what you want to do. I went from NY state to Maryland.
To go out to California without a job offer and just take a chance, it's a big gamble. You don't want to be homeless, but if you remain unemployed long enough, that could happen. Going back to the East Coast where you have family would be unaffordable.
Since you are in DC, you should check out federal jobs. They might have jobs where you could interview in DC at an agency's main office for a job where there's an office in California. USAJOBS - The Federal Government’s Official Jobs Site