Brehs, I got two questions about squats

Soundwave

No Known Weaknesses
Supporter
Daps
1. How many of you do squats without shoes? I've seen some people do it and I wonder how it feels. Do you feel it's more comfortable? Does it help you push off your heels more?

2. Since I've crossed the three plate plateau, I've been wondering if I should warm up with higher weight. I usually start off with a 135x6 set before I get into the heavier stuff. Do you brehs think I should be warming up with a higher weight? I worry if I use too much warm up weight, it will tire me out for the real stuff. Or should I even be warming up at all? :lupe:

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
When I was hittin 3x5x325-335 I would warm up over 40-50lb increments

So my shyt would look like 4x135, 3x185, 3x225 and I would either get to work from there or hit 1-2x275.

Def wanna get warmed up, blood flowing and your body acclimated to the weight. Jumping up too fast cold is a traditional old world recipe for injury

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
I squat with no shoes. It just feels natural and you don't have that heel shifting

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I dont...i'm willing to try it after I can dominate 3 plates, thats my first goal

I dont see it that frequently...tho, the people I do see perform it, seem like they know what theyre doing

hypo666

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Everyone wears trainers in my gym as there is a weird footrot shyt going round. It's not athletes foot either, my gym is an underground pit under a bar, so fukk knows what is living down there. When squat I myself use a small piece of wood to put my heels on, this is because Iam flat footed, and squating without the wood actually knocks me off balance. I found out about using a block of wood, (not too high in height just enough to rest your heels on to give you an arch) after seeing pictures of arnold doing the same with the wood, so he must have had the same problem.

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
1. How many of you do squats without shoes? I've seen some people do it and I wonder how it feels. Do you feel it's more comfortable? Does it help you push off your heels more?

2. Since I've crossed the three plate plateau, I've been wondering if I should warm up with higher weight. I usually start off with a 135x6 set before I get into the heavier stuff. Do you brehs think I should be warming up with a higher weight? I worry if I use too much warm up weight, it will tire me out for the real stuff. Or should I even be warming up at all?
You can always try it out with lower weights and see how it feels.
I've lifted in wrestling shoes. I do prefer a bit of heel lift so I like to lift in indoor soccer shoes.

Daps
Reppin
Dallas

2. Since I've crossed the three plate plateau, I've been wondering if I should warm up with higher weight. I usually start off with a 135x6 set before I get into the heavier stuff. Do you brehs think I should be warming up with a higher weight? I worry if I use too much warm up weight, it will tire me out for the real stuff. Or should I even be warming up at all? :lupe:

1) I deadlift without shoes occasionally but not with squats. You want to be as close to the ground as possible. I would just get some Chuck's instead of going barefoot, but that's just me.

2) Yes - warm up with a higher weight. Since youre going heavier your reps will be dropping anyways so I think a heavier warm up will be a plus.

Soundwave

No Known Weaknesses
Supporter
Daps
1) I deadlift without shoes occasionally but not with squats. You want to be as close to the ground as possible. I would just get some Chuck's instead of going barefoot, but that's just me.

2) Yes - warm up with a higher weight. Since youre going heavier your reps will be dropping anyways so I think a heavier warm up will be a plus.

Now that you mention it, my roommate does wear Chucks when he's squatting, I may have to look into it :patrice:

Food Mane

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

I warm up with up 135x10 and then do 3x8 of whatever I am at. One time I went in cold and missed it on the bottom and lost the bar. Thank god for pins :to:.

I wear chucks. Def helps with deadlifts. Squats too, I assume

Soundwave

No Known Weaknesses
Supporter
Daps
I warm up with up 135x10 and then do 3x8 of whatever I am at. One time I went in cold and missed it on the bottom and lost the bar. Thank god for pins :to:.

I wear chucks. Def helps with deadlifts. Squats too, I assume

I got them ankle socks on deck when I do squats. :blessed:
iwPWpObE0xfGA.gif