Breh talks about his experience as a black male in Corporate America

Daps
Haven't had too many issues but that's because I know how to manage em.

Talk sports, fantasy football etc., and avoid anything cultural except maybe food and liquor discussions (Chicago vs NY style pizza...single malt whisky vs fruity drinks etc.).

White women it depends. Some you connect with and some you don't. Play that one by ear.

Deafheaven

Gleaming and Empty
Supporter
Daps
I have a sailors mouth but I barely swear at work. keep it music, sports, very surface level talks. they ask for more don't share :mjlol:

I'm not under illusion that I'mma be the CEO of this bytch one day so the brown nosing shyt is not something I partake in. I'm likeable in general so if thats not enough :manny:

real talk shyt is spiritually draining. If I'm in corporate past 40 I'll be shocked.

Braman

Superstar
Daps
A lot of self fulfilling prophesies in here. At what point do you stop giving white people control over you and just live your fukking life.

Black men are tricking themselves out of their position by opting out of ‘working for the man’, even opting out of college, and instead living a scammer hustle grind life. Meanwhile black women are deebo’ing into corporate America and are statistically sailing past black men and doing better bc of it.

Ezekiel 25:17

Veteran
Daps

Talk sports, fantasy football etc., and avoid anything cultural except maybe food and liquor discussions (Chicago vs NY style pizza...single malt whisky vs fruity drinks etc.).

White women it depends. Some you connect with and some you don't. Play that one by ear.

I feel like white women are worse than white men. Maybe I'm wrong. But women be so chatty patty, while men don't care as long as you get your work done. The dude in the Op had female managers

Deafheaven

Gleaming and Empty
Supporter
Daps
I feel like white women are worse than white men. Maybe I'm wrong. But women be so chatty patty, while men don't care as long as you get your work done. The dude in the Op had female managers

White women on average are emphatically worse, and they have the pervasive victim complex on top of it.

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I only listened to the beginning but will go back and watch later. But he sounded really naive about Corporate politics. And how to read a person's true motives. Which is mandatory if you want to survive in Corporate America.

I see these young black people get so comfortable in a job role or company. And it's almost like they forget their black until getting that wakeup call. I try to warn them but they never listen.
:francis:

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Gotta play the game. I have a dry sense of humor. Can talk a little bit about everything so it's easy for me to avoid controversial stuff.

I don't kiss ass...actually had a former boss say that I don't know how to kiss ass.

But I'll say working remote the past few years eliminates that office politics nonsense. Most of my peers on my team are Indian and my direct manager is FBA.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!

This

You can be yourself more than you think in corporate America if you know how to move. You don't have to c00n/tapdance/sambo but you also gotta know not to be 5 percent militant brother either.

I'll never forget the comments I heard around the Walter Scott police shooting in South Carolina some years back. Very disappointing by some (black people included) where I worked. Then when the video dropped a few days later and witnessing the pivot. Someone finally asked me my thoughts randomly since I was from Charleston where it happened. Told em that he was my cousin and not distant either (grandad's brother son) and the same cacs and c00ns who were on that :mjpls: switched up quick. But I'm never surprised.

There's a reason you don't discuss politics and religion at work. Just stick to the subjects you said and you'll be fine. I still offer my opinions from a brotha perspective when asked and again you can do that without c00nin or being super militant

Bumblebreh

Collecting honey and money
Daps

Black women on tiktok are saying the same thing, and the clips have gone viral.

Ezekiel 25:17

Veteran
Daps
A lot of self fulfilling prophesies in here. At what point do you stop giving white people control over you and just live your fukking life.

Black men are tricking themselves out of their position by opting out of ‘working for the man’, even opting out of college, and instead living a scammer hustle grind life. Meanwhile black women are deebo’ing into corporate America and are statistically sailing past black men and doing better bc of it.

Is this really the case? I think it depends on the area you live in. I've read a lot of black men are in the corporate world in the DMV/Texas/ATL areas.

Also on that YouTube video there's numerous black men speaking up about their life in corporate America.

Last edited:

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
His first problem was looking for a corporate job he "enjoys" and working as a recuiter :mjlol:

No offense to him at all, he seems sharp, but it is a corporate job - you are there to make your money from the company and fulfill a role - the connections you make should be strong, but not overly intrusive.

I'm a person who does plenty of "side-talking" with attorneys across the board, but internally: I love to have everything in writing, from emails to Teams messages, texts, etc.

There are three reasons: 1) I document what I sent, how I said it, and when I said it; 2) an easy reference if there are any questions or someone else screws up; 3) it is good practice for controlling when people can get ahold of you.

The pizza thing was a great example of a nonsense issue that you can resolve, and use as a basis to set boundaries for work.

I know for corporate attorneys and consultants - the firm practically owns you, and anyone who isn't ensuring that their focus is displayed clearly in writing is going to be in for a bad time.

He was sharing information with the wrong people.

I will also say: as an attorney, billable hours are terrible, but there can be no claims you're not working if you're billing 60 hours a week and every email, call, message, meeting, brief, memo, and motion is accounted for.

Voice of Reason

Veteran
Bushed
Daps

This is a immigrant mentality y'all always down play white supremacy when cacs are not as threatened by you as FBA people.

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
His experience sounds a bit different than what I've experienced in tech as a developer. But I think when you get more into management, it'll be more like what he's mentioned. That talking around you instead of bringing up problems with you is common. Some white people tend to be passive aggressive, so they'll feel like addressing an issue directly would be offensive.

But developers tend to be logical, so they won't usually play those games. They'll address issues directly, with architecture or code reviews

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
I work at a major financial firm and have never had problems fitting in. In my experience personally, I haven't really met any black people who struggle in corporate however I've met plenty of Asians who do. Specifically second gen Indians and Chinese. That's part time cultural but the bigger issue is a lot of the ones I deal with have terrible social skills and don't want anything to do with coworkers. I don't think you HAVE to be super social to do well in corporate jobs but you have to at least be sociable. Know how to talk to people, work in teams, work with people of the opposite sex, talk to clients, etc. And in my experience a lot of them can't do those things on a high enough level to advance here.

I would also say I've witnessed more racism and potential racism from them than white people. I have a management position and often interview people; I don't directly hire but my thumbs up/thumbs down rules in most cases. I'll never forget interviewing a 2nd gen Chinese American guy who got flustered 10 minutes in and started asking about my educational background. Not on some "oh so you went to xyz university, cool" shyt but moreso like....why do you have this job, where did you go to school, is there someone else (ie white) that I can talk to etc. Needless to say he didn't get hired. And while that's an extreme example I've definitely gotten similar vibes from other people with that background.

:mjlol:

My advice to black people in corporate: excel at the work and be the guy people want on their team. So much corporate shyt revolves around working with a handful of people on something. You need excellent communication skills first off. In cases where you have group work, be the guy who is indispensable. Trust me, there is dead weight at many corporate jobs and none of them are black men or women. It's lazy white guys in their 40s-50s. But always remember those guys are probably the last of a dying breed of corporate rot that won't exist in 10-20 years. While they're here....they will eventually help you. Trust me lol.