BREAKING: Google Employee/Batman Villain Goes Public. Says Google's Secret AI LaMDA "is Alive" - Gets Fired. Google Denies.

Daps
Yet that is how young humans learn to use language as well. So how do you distinguish that from sentience?

I don't have a position either way, and am quite skeptical really. I just think it's being dismissed offhand too quickly without the work put in to justify it.

How do you define sentience? Let's make sure we have the same definition first to have a baseline for this convo.

Rum&Pineapple

Pro
Supporter
Daps
Yeah - regardless of how you interpret it, that capacity is fukking wild.

It's not pre-programmed to give any specific answers, and unless he's pulling an elaborate con those questions and answers in several instances appeared completely novel.

I was thinking along the lines of an intricate algorithm. It didn’t sit in a classroom and learn the information and I doubt it’s omniscient. So it has to be pulling the information from somewhere. It’s very impressive as far as AI’s go and this story would have been just as good without trying to sell it as being sentient. And probably would’ve been better because now I question the validity of some of the things presented. Oh well. We don’t want it being sentient anyway. I’ve read many sci-fi stories and any involving sentient computers have never ended good. Lol.

Last edited:

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV
This is what AI is. I didn't mean preprogrammed in the sense of, if you ask how its feeling today, it's preprogrammed to say good. I mean preprogrammed in the sense of, if you give it access to the web and have it crawl social media sites for instance, and program it to put together some form of logic to output based on the input that it's receiving.

if you pull a sequence of replies from random different conversations those replies chained together will be consistent with each other and make sense?

In that scenario, it's answers would make it seem sentient if it has a steady input of actual human data to pull from. But "seem" is the important word.

if you are cutting and pasting replies together while they may make sense in the doner conversation when put together their is no such guarantee.

-

convo A:
person 1: have you ever bought a dog
person 2: no

convo B:
person 1: how old is your dog?
person 2: 3

-

if an AI was cutting and pasting without some notion of consistency (which requires a degree of understanding) then it would be trivial to make it contradict itself.

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV
How do you define sentience? Let's make sure we have the same definition first to have a baseline for this convo.

"Consciousness, at its simplest, is sentience or awareness of internal and external existence.[1] Despite millennia of analyses, definitions, explanations and debates by philosophers and scientists, consciousness remains puzzling and controversial,[2] being "at once the most familiar and [also the] most mysterious aspect of our lives".[3] Perhaps the only widely agreed notion about the topic is the intuition that consciousness exists"

Rum&Pineapple

Pro
Supporter
Daps
if you pull a sequence of replies from random different conversations those replies chained together will be consistent with each other and make sense?

if you are cutting and pasting replies together while they may make sense in the doner conversation when put together their is no such guarantee.

-

convo A:
person 1: have you ever bought a dog
person 2: no

convo B:
person 1: how old is your dog?
person 2: 3

-

if an AI was cutting and pasting without some notion of consistency (which requires a degree of understanding) then it would be trivial to make it contradict itself.

I think that’s the thing. The guy wasn’t trying to prove that the computer wasn’t sentient. He was out to prove that it was, so he didn’t ask it questions in that manner.

Hey_zeus

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
I been on that MGS2 kick for the longest. We truly are heading into a tech dystopia. Algorithms influence public discourse and opinion, huge swathes of data can be culled from history and we would be none the wiser. Faceless actors peddle misinformation for self-serving ends.

They really need to remake MGS 2 and 3. So relevant today. Kojima da gawd:wow:

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV

Diyhai

En Causa Sui
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
:camby:

you woud think they think that google was pulling untrained randoms off the street.

the core of that article is "assuming that fluent language comes from thinking".

:wtf:

google was not testing for "fluent language".
when I read the article thats exact opposite
fluent language is not thinking
"People are so accustomed to assuming that fluent language comes from a thinking, feeling human that evidence to the contrary can be difficult to wrap your head around."

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV
when I read the article thats exact opposite
fluent language is not thinking
"People are so accustomed to assuming that fluent language comes from a thinking, feeling human that evidence to the contrary can be difficult to wrap your head around."

no one is testing whether the google AI uses language fluently.

where did you get that idea?

TheAnointedOne

Superstar
Daps
You guys DO understand they're deliberately using this image of the guy so folks don't take him seriously, right?

58964273-10907853-image-a-15_1654996870813.jpg

He's going up against Google -- a powerful company. He can't win.