Bombs Away: R.I.P.D. getting a sequel

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
A critically reviled comic book movie, released in the 2010s and starring Ryan Reynolds, is getting a sequel -- and no, somehow, it's not Green Lantern.

As reported by ComicBook, notorious commercial flop and critical failure R.I.P.D. is getting a sequel. R.I.P.D. 2: Rise of the Damned, the decade-late sequel to the infamous 2013 film, was rated by the MPAA, and a few unofficial details have surfaced on IMDB.

The first R.I.P.D. film, based on a Dark Horse series of the same name by Peter M. Lenkov, was released in 2013. It was a dramatic box office failure, grossing just $78 million worldwide on a budget of more than $130 million. Reviews for the film were not kind, either. At the time, CBR's Josh Wigler said of the film, "within minutes, I just wanted it to end -- peacefully or otherwise." That sentiment was echoed among other critics, and the movie has since languished in more-or-less complete cultural obscurity.

R.I.P.D. came at a rough time for Reynolds' career as a comic book superhero. It arrived in theaters just two years after the similarly poorly-received Green Lantern, in which Reynolds took on a considerably more iconic character to more-or-less disastrous effect. Green Lantern was closely preceded by X-Men Origins: Wolverine, another critical failure in which Reynolds plays a guy who is apparently called "Deadpool" despite not acting very much like Deadpool. Eventually, of course, Reynolds would earn a bit more respect with the critically acclaimed and wildly financially successful film Deadpool (this time starring a character who actually seems to be Deadpool) and its sequel. The merc with a mouth is expected to cross into the Marvel Cinematic Universe with Deadpool 3.

According to ComicBook, Reynolds will not be returning for R.I.P.D. 2: Rise of the Damned, and co-star Jeff Bridges is also out of the picture. The two have been replaced by a cast featuring Richard Fleeshman, Jake Choi, Kerry Knuppe and Stephanie Levi-John. R.I.P.D. director Robert Schwentke is also absent from the crew, replaced by Paul Leyden. Also missing is any indication of a sequel to the bizarre tie-in video game released alongside the original film, which was published by Persona and Shin Megami Tensei developer Atlus.

shyt felt like an M.I.B. ripoff. It flopped and now it gets an unnecessary sequel. :snoop:

Json

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Central VA
Jeffrey Donovan is the only person I’ve heard of.

They must have filmed this on the Rust set after that lady died because it was a discount