Bodybuilding Then And Now (documentaries)

2 Up 2 Down

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Pumping Iron (1977)
http://www.sharesix.net/cca7077f1678

I watched this docudrama a number of times and I still find it every bit of entertaining, and motivative as the first time I saw it.

Compare that to this

Generation Iron (2013)
http://www.hdlord.com/item/396/generation-iron-2013/

I found this one damn near depressing. Look at how moody and unhappy they seem. Also, they are just too damn big, IMO.

Bonus
Raw Iron (making of Pumping Iron)

Pumping Iron 2: The Women

AJW

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Berkshire, England
Watched Generation Iron last night for the first time (signed up to Amazon Prime Instant Video free month trial and it's on there so if you want to watch it, sign up and eat for free).

Completely agree with what you said. They all seem very depressed and hold so much animosity. A little competetion between the competitors is good and makes for a more interesting contest but they just seem bitter, pathetic and like you say very depressed. A complete contrast to Pumping Iron, where they are all training together, hitting the beach together, look healthy and in proportion (most of the guys look horrendous IMO in Generation Iron - Rolly Winkellar :scust:) and have so much personality. Even the rivalary (Arnie/Ferrigno) was serious but not malious in anyway - Kai/Phil just look like two spoilt school kids out there fighting. Something needs to change - I'm actually more interested in the natural physique competetitors these days (Shaun Stafford, Steve Cook) as these guys have personality and look aesthetically pleasing. Don't get me wrong, I can completely understand and appreciate that it takes a hell of a lot of effort and talent to be in Olympia condition but fact is it's not aesthetically pleasing for the majority of the population - I really hope bodybuilding takes a step back but I can only see it getting bigger and bigger. Their guts are the worst - there was a clip of Dennis Wolf sat down after the show and his gut looked like he had eaten a Ninja Turtle :scust:

Usually whenever I watch anything bodybuilding related it motivates and inspires me like nothing else. Sometimes it can be something as simple as watching a 10 minute Flex Lewis training video. However, after watching Generation Iron I was left with no motivation at all. Perhaps it was just a poorly put together documentary that didn't paint a good image of the sport.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Watched Generation Iron last night for the first time (signed up to Amazon Prime Instant Video free month trial and it's on there so if you want to watch it, sign up and eat for free).

Completely agree with what you said. They all seem very depressed and hold so much animosity. A little competetion between the competitors is good and makes for a more interesting contest but they just seem bitter, pathetic and like you say very depressed. A complete contrast to Pumping Iron, where they are all training together, hitting the beach together, look healthy and in proportion (most of the guys look horrendous IMO in Generation Iron - Rolly Winkellar :scust:) and have so much personality. Even the rivalary (Arnie/Ferrigno) was serious but not malious in anyway - Kai/Phil just look like two spoilt school kids out there fighting. Something needs to change - I'm actually more interested in the natural physique competetitors these days (Shaun Stafford, Steve Cook) as these guys have personality and look aesthetically pleasing. Don't get me wrong, I can completely understand and appreciate that it takes a hell of a lot of effort and talent to be in Olympia condition but fact is it's not aesthetically pleasing for the majority of the population - I really hope bodybuilding takes a step back but I can only see it getting bigger and bigger. Their guts are the worst - there was a clip of Dennis Wolf sat down after the show and his gut looked like he had eaten a Ninja Turtle :scust:

Usually whenever I watch anything bodybuilding related it motivates and inspires me like nothing else. Sometimes it can be something as simple as watching a 10 minute Flex Lewis training video. However, after watching Generation Iron I was left with no motivation at all. Perhaps it was just a poorly put together documentary that didn't paint a good image of the sport.

"Natural Competitors"
:russ:

I enjoyed this more than Pumping Iron

AJW

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Berkshire, England
"Natural Competitors"
:russ:

I enjoyed this more than Pumping Iron

Them physique dudes not natty? Damn, I'm too naive when it comes to that. Steve Cook and them dudes just don't come across as guys that use gear :manny: So even the comps that claim natty are not natty? :lupe: