Blogger gets deep about Bonds 2002 World series HR off Percivall

NYC Rebel

...on the otherside of the pond
Daps
The Pete Myers Rules: The Home Run MLB Doesn't Want You to Remember

What happened next was akin to someone telling you that your life had been make believe for the previous 5 years. Everything you thought to be true you found to be a lie in one dramatic moment.

Barry focused intensely on Percival as he prepared to face the second pitch. His eyes unblinking. The bat gently waving behind his back shoulder. Arms in perfect position to uncoil a swing on any mistake over the plate. On the second pitch from Percival, during the 9th inning of an almost out of reach game, that mistake came and the steroid era was finally exposed.

Bonds turned on the fastball and caught it right on the sweet spot of the bat. Arms fully extended. Hips, shoulders and wrists all working in perfect synch to create the most viscous swing ever unleashed in the 130 year history of baseball.

The ball rocketed off of the bat unlike anything seen before. It was unnatural. Bonds had sent the ball into orbit. The ball behaved like a golf ball hit by an aluminum bat swung at a humanly impossible speed. It rose so quickly that Fox camera’s couldn’t pick it up as it soared into the exosphere. The herky jerky camera shot gave the impression that Bonds had hit the ball so far and so hard that it had left the ballpark too fast for the human eye to detect it. As of 2010 NASA scientists have never confirmed that the baseball ever landed. It most likely still orbits the earth
Bonds started towards first watching the ball disappear into the distance. His typical home run trot began with him walking the first several steps. On this night it was different. He broke out into an almost sheepish jog as if he was thinking,

“Whoops, didn’t mean to show them that. Now they might think something is up”.

Percival turned and scanned the upper deck for remnants of the ball. Fox microphones picked up Angels outfielder Tim Salmon gasping in horror and saying “That’s the furthest ball I ever saw hit”. Tim wasn’t the only one.

Incredible moments during sporting events often make me stand. A running back breaks 5 tackles and out sprints the defense to the endzone. A basketball player makes an acrobatic layup. A golfer chips in for eagle. I stand for these things. I stood for Bonds but this time was different. I stared back at the TV as Bonds rounded the bases with a questioning scowl. Something wasn’t right. A baseball isn’t supposed to fly off the bat like that. I’d seen hundreds, let’s say thousands of batted balls during my 20 years and up to that point none of them looked like a racquet ball hit with a metal bat. A baseball is dense and weighted down. It would take incredible strength and bat speed to propel a ball like that. The kind of strength not seen until the previous 5 years. Mark McGwire had similar strength. Sammy Sosa had incredible bat speed. But Bonds? What I just witnessed was supernatural. Something fishy was amidst.

Bwahahahahahahahaha

jadillac

Veteran
Daps
Great moment in sports for me.

I'd gotten back to my apt from the library right before he hit that, turned the game on just in time. When i saw it I was :ohmy:

Absolut

Legal Bookie
Daps
Reppin
Las Vegas
"during the 9th inning of an almost out of reach game"

the shyt was a 2 run game in which the giants scored double digit runs, and a 1 run game after that moonshot. :wtf:

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
all I know is that I still have not seen a ball hit as far as that.

And I am pissed off I cannot find it.

Thinking about that home run makes me go :wow:

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
anyone got the video?
no video

its this generation's Babe Ruth calling a HR in the World Series.

You had to see it to believe it. If the video still doesnt surface, it will be one of those tall tales those that a lot of us saw and will be telling our kids.