Blade’s ambitious PC game streaming platform finally launches in the US today

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston

The Shadow service is trying to be the Netflix for games we’ve all been waiting for
By Nick Statt@nickstatt Feb 21, 2018, 12:00pm EST
Photography by Vjeran Pavic
Share Tweet Share
This tiny box is the equivalent of a $2,000 gaming PC.

Posted by The Verge on Wednesday, February 21, 2018
French startup Blade announced today that its Shadow game streaming service is launching in California, marking the first time the company will be making its product available in the US. Blade has been operating in France since July 2016, where it opened its first data center operation. (The service only works at low latency if a user is physically near their dedicated machine.) After a launch in the UK last month and a round of live demos ahead of this year’s CES back in January, Blade is ready to bring its service Stateside, thanks to a partnership with San Jose’s Equinix Datacenter.

The Shadow service costs $34.95 a month with a one-year service commitment, $39.95 for a three-month one, or $49.95 a month with no commitment. For that subscription fee, users are given access to what Blade says is a $2,000 remote Windows 10 PC, with access to the device streamed over the internet. Blade says it plans on expanding US access beyond California later this year.

Blade says Shadow users get the equivalent of a $2,000 Windows 10 gaming PC
To access Shadow, users can rent a streaming box from the company that’s essentially a video decoder. Blade says it houses an AMD Falcon CPU and mostly handles complex changes in resolution and frame rates. The box also handles peripherals, so you can plug in a monitor, mouse, keyboard, and headset, and all of it works together as the desktop component. In addition to the Shadow Box, Blade has apps for Mac, Windows, and Android, with iOS coming soon.

This arrangement allows you to keep the box hooked up at home and use Blade’s Shadow app for playing on the go with your phone, tablet, or standard laptop, so long as your connection speed is at least 15 Mbps. The Shadow Box works only if it’s connected to the internet via Ethernet, and Blade says it costs an additional $10 per month to rent or $140 outright.

We have a Shadow Box and access to the cloud service at The Verge’s San Francisco office. In our brief time with it, we were able to play Fortnite Battle Royale, Playerunknown’s Battlegrounds, and The Witcher III: Wild Hunt, with a few connection, latency, and peripheral hiccups here and there but a mostly stable experience overall while using the Shadow Box.

The Android and Mac apps, however, worked very inconsistently and caused huge headaches. For instance, it took dozens of reboots just to get elements like on-screen touch controls and functioning sound on the Android app, when just a day earlier, it worked perfectly under the same networking conditions.

We’ll be spending a little more time with Shadow before judging the overall efficacy and quality of the product next week.

vpavic_180218_2319_0067.jpg

Blade’s Shadow can stream PC games playing on a Windows 10 virtual machine to an Android phone, so you can play games like Fortnite Battle Royale on a Google Pixel 2.
Founded in 2015, Blade is just the latest company trying to make the dream of a cloud-based gaming PC a reality. Sony currently offers PlayStation Now for $19.99 a month, which lets you stream more than 500 PS3 and PS4 games on compatible hardware. It now includes only the PS4 and PCs after Sony discontinued support for older console hardware and smart TVs last year. To build its footprint in the burgeoning market, Sony bought two game streaming startups — Gakai and OnLive — and folded the technology and talent into its own streaming division.

Chipmaker Nvidia, with its GeForce Now service, and New York-based visualization company LiquidSky offer beta services aimed at making PC games available without the use of expensive physical hardware. LiquidSky works by charging users by the hour for access to server time, with 80 hours of server time per month for $19.99. GeForce Now is free, but you must request beta access and the service works best only with a list of supported titles.

Blade is best described as a competitor to GeForce Now and LiquidSky, yet its business model is slightly different. Blade charges users more money per month with its subscription but gives customers unfettered access to a single, dedicated Windows 10 PC with no apparent restrictions on games. You simply load up Steam, Blizzard, or any other game portal or download service, log in, and you have full access to your existing library of titles. Competing services often use what are known as shared resources, distributing multiple workloads across single components like multi-thousand dollar Nvidia Tesla graphics cards. Blade says every Shadow user gets their own machine.

Another benefit Blade says its service provides its upgradability. Right now, Shadow provides 1080p gaming at 144Hz or 4K at 60Hz, 12GB of DDR4 RAM, a Xeon processor that’s equivalent to an i7 chip, and 256GB of storage. Over time, Blade says it will upgrade those specs without the user having to do anything. The company says right now its machines are using a high-end Nvidia Quadro P5000, with 16GB OF VRAM. That’s a nearly $2,000 GPU, but the added benefits are mostly in memory management and not raw rendering power. For graphics purposes, Blade says the Quadro gives customers the equivalent of a GTX 1080 card.

vpavic_180218_2319_0017.jpg

The Shadow Box is a video decoder for handling changes in frame rate and resolution while streaming. Shadow users can plug in a monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, and ethernet to effectively create a desktop Windows 10 gaming PC.
Understandably, we’re quite a ways away from a true “Netflix for games.” Streaming a high-resolution piece of interactive media is technical intensive, difficult, and expensive. It’s also complicated by the fractured nature of the industry, which is divided between console, PC, and mobile, with even more subdivisions within those categories between Sony, Microsoft, iOS, and Android. So right now, consumers are mostly paying for access to the servers being used and must foot the bill for their own content on top of that, whereas video streaming apps are free to download and use and the content is available for a low monthly fee.

Blade is no different with regards to this arrangement, but it does promise a more universal PC game streaming service, albeit with a high price, in a package we haven’t quite seen before. It’s unlikely the economics of the game industry will ever allow for an à la carte streaming service that also includes new games from every popular platform. But at the very least, the technology is inching closer to making that business model more feasible.

If you don’t own a gaming PC but have always wanted to try playing PUBG or big-budget single-player games, Shadow might be a good option, though it would obviously be cheaper just to buy your own hardware. It’s also unclear right now if the rig can hold its own with titles where latency is more important, like Overwatch or other competitive shooters. And if you do already own a gaming rig, you’re likely already deep in the PC ecosystem and don’t have any qualms about upgrading your components.

But Blade thinks that game streaming is closer than we think, and it’s now got an offering for people who want to put one foot toward that future.

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
Oh look. Yet another article that says PSNOW has PS3 games while Sony stans claim it would be impossible to make PS4 backwards compatible. :DAIGOCOFFEE:
Anywho...
@Ciggavelli yeah this is part of what I was talking about. I don't think the streaming platform is ready for gaming for a bunch of reasons, but subscription based content is definitely going to affect the quality of content. To what degree in the long run remains to be see but if DLC/Microtransactions/Patches are any indication, it doesn't look good IMO.
The faster we consumer content, the more pressure there will be on content creators. Compensation structure is still a mess and as creators focus more on putting something out there ASAP it'll leave them with less time and resources to fight the real battle which is in forcing streaming services to pay their fair share.

The more I think about the more I feel like the long term answer is going to be companies creating their own exclusive services.
Something like:
If you want to play an EA game, you have to have an EA sub.
Want to play a naughty dog game? You have to have a Naughty Dog sub.
Want to listen to the new Kendrick Lamar album? You have to have the Interscope sub.
So on and so on.

I actually don't blame these streaming companies the more I think about it. If artists aren't happy with the compensation they can take their content elsewhere, or invest in their own infrastructure to launch their own platform. That's the way capitalism works. Spotify, Apple, Pandora, Netflix, etc. etc. all put up millions in infrastructure to launch these services. This doesn't take away my concern about us as consumers being hurt by all of this, but still, creatives need to either negotiate better or launch their own platforms.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Oh look. Yet another article that says PSNOW has PS3 games while Sony stans claim it would be impossible to make PS4 backwards compatible. :DAIGOCOFFEE:
Anywho...
@Ciggavelli yeah this is part of what I was talking about. I don't think the streaming platform is ready for gaming for a bunch of reasons, but subscription based content is definitely going to affect the quality of content. To what degree in the long run remains to be see but if DLC/Microtransactions/Patches are any indication, it doesn't look good IMO.
The faster we consumer content, the more pressure there will be on content creators. Compensation structure is still a mess and as creators focus more on putting something out there ASAP it'll leave them with less time and resources to fight the real battle which is in forcing streaming services to pay their fair share.

The more I think about the more I feel like the long term answer is going to be companies creating their own exclusive services.
Something like:
If you want to play an EA game, you have to have an EA sub.
Want to play a naughty dog game? You have to have a Naughty Dog sub.
Want to listen to the new Kendrick Lamar album? You have to have the Interscope sub.
So on and so on.
I mean, this has already happened in the PC world (pc master race is always ahead of consoles).. I mean we have steam, origin (for EA games), windows store for M$ games, and u play (for Ubisoft games). I gotta admit, having to be subscribed to all 4 pusses me off. I want it all in one place. We had that for years with steam, but steam started fukking up dlc. EA dropped steam for it (and they said they would go back on steam, if they could sell dlc. fukking Valve wasn’t having it :francis:)

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
I mean, this has already happened in the PC world (pc master race is always ahead of consoles).. I mean we have steam, origin (for EA games), windows store for M$ games, and u play (for Ubisoft games). I gotta admit, having to be subscribed to all 4 pusses me off. I want it all in one place. We had that for years with steam, but steam started fukking up dlc. EA dropped steam for it (and they said they would go back on steam, if they could sell dlc. fukking Valve wasn’t having it :francis:)
I would imagine in a world with multiple competing streaming giants, the price would have to be relatively low for the subs.
$20 a month might be the breaking point. Either way even at $30/$40 a month, creatives that put their content on these services will still get raped financially.
A consumer will be able to stream the content 100 times before the creative sees a single dime.
The answer is going to be all those things I mentioned in my other thread: Ads, DLC, microtransactions, etc.
The experience of getting uninterrupted, high quality, 100% complete content, will very soon be a thing of the past.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
I would imagine in a world with multiple competing streaming giants, the price would have to be relatively low for the subs.
$20 a month might be the breaking point. Either way even at $30/$40 a month, creatives that put their content on these services will still get raped financially.
A consumer will be able to stream the content 100 times before the creative sees a single dime.
The answer is going to be all those things I mentioned in my other thread: Ads, DLC, microtransactions, etc.
The experience of getting uninterrupted, high quality, 100% complete content, will very soon be a thing of the past.
Blade says they can stream 4K games with only 15mbp. Most can do that, if they have good internet. It's the future in my opinion. I don't know how I feel about it though...:jbhmm:

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
Blade says they can stream 4K games with only 15mbp. Most can do that, if they have good internet. It's the future in my opinion. I don't know how I feel about it though...:jbhmm:
That's one aspect. (The ability to stream high quality)
The other is the compensation is still a mess, so content creators will have to use DLC/Microtransactions/etc. to make up the loss.

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
I don't think game streaming is ever going to take off for a variety of reasons.

I got pretty annoyed with all the services I tried such as onlive, PSNOW (which is trash) and I don't have high hopes for this. Latency is still a problem and even the slightest input lag annoys me. I know this is primarily because I am a PC gamer, but can you really imagine playing a fighting game serious like this? I can't. How about joining a competitive racing league in where the sharpest of turns can make a difference? A split second could mean a lot.

Anything over $20 a month is destined to fail. People don't care if they have a dual xeon pc on the other end of it. The way Microsoft is doing it with game pass is the way to get it done.

Netflix of gaming is a bad way to view this. It is annoying to download something that is only 2 hours long. Then manually go back to delete the file of something you just downloaded...to watch once. That's why Netflix, Hulu and everything else beat traditional optical media. The management of the files was infinitely more annoying than managing a 40+ hour experience you would get in many games.

Bundle all of that shyt up for $100 a year. Download a rotating list of games and keep it moving.

Last edited:

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
I don't think game streaming is ever going to take off for a variety of reasons.

I got pretty annoyed with all the services I tried such as onlive, PSNOW (which is trash) and I don't have high hopes for this. Latency is still a problem and even the slightest input lag annoys me. I know this is primarily because I am a PC gamer, but can you really imagine playing a fighting game serious like this? I can't. How about joining a competitive racing league in where the sharpest of turns can make a difference? A split second could mean a lot.

Anything over $20 a month is destined to fail. People don't care if they have a dual xeon pc on the other end of it. The way Microsoft is doing it with game pass is the way to get it done.

Netflix of gaming is a bad way to view this. It is annoying to download something that is only 2 hours long. Then manually go back to delete the file of something you just downloaded...to watch once. That's why Netflix, Hulu and everything else beat traditional optical media. The management of the files was infinitely more annoying than managing a 40+ hour experience you would get in many games.

Bundle all of that shyt up for $100 a year. Download a rotating list of games and keep it moving.
I mean you make a lot of sense. (Side note: you’ve been awol in the forum. Come back. Me and others appreciate your thoughts...:obama:

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Man, this should be Titan Xp (the best cards you can buy). If they got a few thousand, that should be the best experience out. If you’re into this shyt, it sounds cool. But, “the gpu being GTX” is not enough for 4K. We’ll see if they up the quality

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
step your internet service up :ufdup:

Streaming ain't even that terrible. A $2K PC isn't saying much, but the majority of people won't care. :manny:
b-b-but can you beat Super Meat Boy (pause) with the input lag?

llt23

All Star
Daps
PSnow is trash for one and the lack of backward compatibility is a joke for a 400 dollar machine that struggles to play modern games.

Secondly not a fan of leasing video games. Theres games I own from over 20 years ago that I still play.

The reason why netflix is successful is cause once u watch some shyt, its done. Theres no reason to own the shyt really. With games theres a lot of us that wanna keep the classics and replay them.