Black Women and Uterine Fibroids

Malt-O-Meal

Banned
Daps
So lately I've been hearing that many black women have uterine fibroids. These are benign tumors that vary in size, from the size of a pea to the aize of a melon, that cause horrible cramps, heavy menses (for some it seems to never end as each cycle runs into the next one), and an enlarged uterus. These fibroids can make pregnancy impossible or very difficult and make it difficult to carry to term. As a result many women opt for a hysterectomy.

I have women in my family that have or had suffered from this and was looking into it. Apparently there's a link between uterine fibroids and hair relaxers as well as birth control. Those who use or used hair relaxers, especially for years, are more susceptible to developing fibroids. Likewise, birth control was found to enlarge them. Sadly, bc is often prescribed to deal with the heavy bleeding and symptoms but it only makes the fibroids worse.

I just thought I'd share what I've found. A couple articles discussing it are below. I think it's crazy that something that as used to fit into society and essentially a vanity product, that was pushed on many of us, is causing serious health problems for women. Lucky the natural hair is popular now.

New Study Links Relaxers To Fibroids

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/4116248

Paradise

Too tired to think of something witty to say...
Daps
I had a d&c to remove some back in 2010.

I'm still having problems with my menstrual cycle. The last time I went to my gyno she said she could see more. I'm not trying to have more surgery...

Birth control didn't help much. So I stopped taking them.

Address_Unknown

Jesus Loves you...Your Cat doesn't. {#Dogset}
Daps
So lately I've been hearing that many black women have uterine fibroids. These are benign tumors that vary in size, from the size of a pea to the aize of a melon, that cause horrible cramps, heavy menses (for some it seems to never end as each cycle runs into the next one), and an enlarged uterus. These fibroids can make pregnancy impossible or very difficult and make it difficult to carry to term. As a result many women opt for a hysterectomy.

I have women in my family that have or had suffered from this and was looking into it. Apparently there's a link between uterine fibroids and hair relaxers as well as birth control. Those who use or used hair relaxers, especially for years, are more susceptible to developing fibroids. Likewise, birth control was found to enlarge them. Sadly, bc is often prescribed to deal with the heavy bleeding and symptoms but it only makes the fibroids worse.

I just thought I'd share what I've found. A couple articles discussing it are below. I think it's crazy that something that as used to fit into society and essentially a vanity product, that was pushed on many of us, is causing serious health problems for women. Lucky the natural hair is popular now.

New Study Links Relaxers To Fibroids

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/4116248

One of the chicks at the Salon I go to recently had to remove some shyt from her stomach after she had to go to the doctor for pain/heavy bleeding. She couldn't remember what it was, but upon doing my own research, it's definitely this shyt, with them spheroid looking tumors and all the symptoms she had.:scust: Y'all stay safe out here.:mjcry:

Malt-O-Meal

Banned
Daps
That is so interesting about relaxers and how they have been so common in Black women for years. My best friend has one, the first thing they treated her with birth control.

Crazy right, those relaxers and other products can be dangerous for our health. I'd imagine relaxers are worse because of prolonged use, people dye their hair occasionally but most women were getting their hair relaxed at least 2 times a year, many often did it more, for years since they were children. Then you factor in that hair relaxers aren't really regulated and you don't even know what's in it.

My mom has uterine fibroids and she was put on bc but she stopped because although they sort of curbed the duration of her cycle, not by much, but it was actually making the fibroids worse. Plus it wasn't allowing menopause to kick in and finish up.

StickStickly

Superstar
Daps
Crazy right, those relaxers and other products can be dangerous for our health. I'd imagine relaxers are worse because of prolonged use, people dye their hair occasionally but most women were getting their hair relaxed at least 2 times a year, many often did it more, for years since they were children. Then you factor in that hair relaxers aren't really regulated and you don't even know what's in it.
this is scary. we don't know how many problems they're causing.

Milk N Cookies

(Self-titled) Queen of the Film Room
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Movies and tv shows
When I was diagnosed; my doctor asked me if anyone in my family had it as well. I told him my aunt did, so it seems to be genetic as well. My cousin does too. My (step)mom had her uterus removed cause hers was so bad. I used to get perms too, never been on bc. I'm always trying to find out if me having NF1 has any connection... but it's never clear

Last edited:

badtguy

Superstar
Daps
wowwwwwwwwwwwwwww:ohhh:

thats crazy i dated two chicks who had it removed i would have never thought it was cause by perms:mindblown: