Black Valedictorian Picks Howard over Brown, so he can major in film. Good Idea? Bad Idea?

Do you agree with his decision?

• He should go to Howard, and keep his major

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • He should go to Howard, and pick a different major

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • He should go to Brown, and keep his major

• He should go to Brown, and pick a different major

• Should get his CDL or get into HVAC. These young bloods don't want to work these days...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
Last summer, before his senior year of high school, Campbell Johnson had settled on Brown University as his top college choice. Then he tagged along on a visit to Howard University, in Washington, D.C., with an uncle who was considering its law school, and he had a change of heart.

This coming fall, Johnson is beginning his freshman year at Howard, planning to major in film. It’s not that he would have felt out of place at Brown, with its predominantly white and Asian enrollment. After all, he was one of few Black students in the graduating class of his small private high school, Oakstone Academy in Westerville, Ohio, where he was Valedictorian. But, he says, ‘’I was completely captivated by Howard. The sense of community and the diverse opportunities it offered were simply irresistible.”

1st 2 paragraphs from this article.

Why Applications To Historically Black Colleges Are Surging​

I think it's a bad major (all art is long odds, music, film, visual art, etc), but is he more likely to pull a Spike Lee at Howard (surrounded by Black creatives) or at Brown (surrounded by white creatives, some of which have money and connections)?

That's a toss up.

• Dap
Reactions: No1

Geek Nasty

Brain Knowledgeably Whizzy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Kakalaka
His resume is going to open doors regardless. I dont anything about their film programs but he gets a good internship, maybe makes a small project himself, and he’s in.

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
His resume is going to open doors regardless. I dont anything about their film programs but he gets a good internship, maybe makes a small project himself, and he’s in.
As a card carrying member of the talented tenth, he will disappear into the ether like most of us. I pray to Jah that I'm wrong though.

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
why is this a problem there are schools that do NOT have what your looking for its not on the student that's on the school for not having the program... :what:

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
why is this a problem there are schools that do NOT have what your looking for its not on the student that's on the school for not having the program... :what:
Both schools have RTF programs. It's not the knowledge of the craft that gets you the job. Film school is not medical school.

I'm totally against Black Youth pursuing self indulgent dreams.

A lot of the people on The Coli are totally okay with young people getting arts degrees or liberal arts degrees, and following their passions.

I am not one of those people.

If my position bothers you, I don't know what to tell you.

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
Both schools have RTF programs. It's not the knowledge of the craft that gets you the job. Film school is not medical school.

A lot of the people on The Coli are totally okay with young people getting arts degrees or liberal arts degrees, and following their passions.

I didnt know that they both had film degrees... i remember when picking when i wanted to go to college and CUNY schools didnt have NO computer science web deisgn building courses at all... :pachaha: so I had to make the choice and went to a private computer school... It is what it is. he made his choice...:manny: if he love films and wants to make them that's on him.

Robbie3000

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Do you know how ridiculous you sound? Getting worked up over what a perfect stranger decides to do with his life. :camby:

2Quik4UHoes

Why you had to go?
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast groovin…
I’ll probably run into him through my line of work. That’s awesome especially if he’s looking for the HBCU experience but HU definitely isn’t perfect.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Brown is obviously the better school but I don't think it matters. Howard is no slouch on a resume and more importantly he sounds smart/talented so it's going to work out as long as he puts the work in (which he will). Grats to the young breh.

Kooley_High

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Da South
For A lot of those Liberal Arts majors you gotta be well connected and know how to network to get most of those opportunities tbh. I feel Brown wouldve been a better option but if hes a natural self starter and charismatic then it shouldnt matter as much.