Black Motherhood

Elle Driver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
At the beginning of mean streets
So I previously made a thread about womanhood but what about black motherhood? What does it mean to be a mother? What practices do you think work for raising black children? Do you leave life lessons for your son(s) to the men, and daughters to yourself? These are questions in particular I'd like to throw at mothers cause you can say what you'd like to do but until you're an actual mother you won't know. All that shyt goes away lol.

@Raedawn07 pls keep the single mom bashing brigade away sis cause I'm really trying to gander where yall heads is at when it comes to this?

Queen

CEO of #GPB
Daps
Reppin
Truth and logic
I've learned that every child is different and needs to be dealt with as an individual. Therefore I don't tell other people what they should and should not be doing with their children. Motherhood has humbled me in that way.

However, generally speaking, I think it is important to foster a sense of pride in black children because this world will do everything to make them hate themselves. I could go more into that, but it might contradict my first point.

Raava

Staff member
Daps
Like Queen said, every child is different. There are some things you do across the board. I think for black children
especially like encourgement, and self love is important. I think this is a growning problem in our community. Telling kids they are important, they can achive goals, they are loved etc... is so important. Too many go too long without hearing things like that. Too many times our children are after thoughts. My child needs to be aware of their blackness and proud of it. My parents did that for me. I never thought another race was better than mine so when I was faced with racism it was like :heh: this person is ignorant.

Something else is while trying to provide the child with the best. How much am I sacrificing when it comes the them being around their people, and the black community? Do you move to a certain area, do you send them to certain schools because they are supposed to be better but then your kid is 1 of 10 black students in the whole school? Then if you do there is another issue and added pressure.

The pressure you are under, the question/worry is your child being treated fairly? Do you take some of their childhood innocence away by telling them to be wary and look out for things? If so, how early do you do that? How early is too early to tell them how the world really is?

I have life lessons I want to pass, I think I give good advice...I also want to keep communication between us open. I think you should try for every child. Its even more than this but I'll stop.

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I've been trying to figure out a way to answer this for a few days now. This is a great question!