Black men...where are we finding community outside of the church and fraternities?

Wildhundreds

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
This is a good topic OP.. It should be a platinum thread. Why isn't it on a mostly black message board though?

Wildhundreds

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
@Thegospel you negged me and said im lost. But you're ignorant of the history of black fraternities.. You obviously don't understand the black struggle in America.

And im not even a frat.

TEH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Serious question. And no the Coli isn't a real answer, though it helps.

A lot of us seem to be living lives of isolation...outside of the church and fraternities, there's not a ton of structure for us to meet & network with other black men who are productive members of society.

If you live or move away from where you grew up due to work or pursuing opportunity, it can be a pretty isolating experience. This is probably getting worse due to remote work as well. As someone who's not religious, no longer lives close to childhood friends, and never pledged, essentially 100% of my black friends & associates post-college are through my work network & work-driven affinity groups.

Another thing is...church and fraternity involvement were great screening functions filtering out people who were either morally/ethically lost, or weren't interested in community. I myself look back at not joining a black frat as the worst thing I've done for my overall wellbeing as a black man in America. I was young and on my individualistic shyt in college, and never had family to frame the benefits of fraternities for me.

So...where are we finding the community these days? What's working for yall to stay connected?
You can still join a frat. Grad chapter. You’re never too old.

Thegospel

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
@Thegospel you negged me and said im lost. But you're ignorant of the history of black fraternities.. You obviously don't understand the black struggle in America.

And im not even a frat.
If a lost black kid comes to a black frat and asks specifics about the lil organization they won't get nothing. Shut up church is the only answer

• Sad
Reactions: TEH

TEH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Honestly, I don't know. I've always found it difficult to connect with other black males anyway. There always seemed to be this emphasis on appearing cool, and unbothered. Stoicism, I think, is what I'm getting at. These days I'm more interested in getting to the bottom of who I am. I have a lot of issues, from childhood, that are starting to resurface. I have to focus on myself first before I can worry about connecting with others. It would be nice if there were more opportunities for us to connect with one another as a black male collective.
How would you describe your personality as a black man?

2Quik4UHoes

Why you had to go?
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast groovin…
Running a Black owned bookstore sorts affords me this space but alongside this you’ve gotta find circles which either fit your interests or further them. There are many organizations and local clubs that y’all could join to do this.

But the OP does speak to a wider problem in that there’s a lack of this. The biggest reason is because we don’t value institution building and fear the real work of maintaining said institutions.

Thegospel

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Don't worry about their "lil organization", ask about connections to resources.. Thats what I use them for. You looking for a father.
I didn't say me. Nice dodge tho. Lil kid asks what do I have to do for the connections. Then what's the answer? Lol

CW_1991

Banned
Daps
These things were supposed to have been established generations upon generations ago in a homeland (government/society/kingdom established and ran by our kind).

Blacks of America don't have that luxury due to history not playing in our favor. The only way I see it once again becoming a reality is for us to once again establish our own proverbial Kingdom/state of rulership which is not going to happen while we're in white America.

The matrix that we're collectively in here is just too deep.

Wildhundreds

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I didn't say me. Nice dodge tho. Lil kid asks what do I have to do for the connections. Then what's the answer? Lol

You aint not talking about shyt, nobody is dodging you. You're clearly out of touch. But I'll play catch with you, son.. what connections are you looking for?

Thegospel

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You aint not talking about shyt, nobody is dodging you. You're clearly out of touch. But I'll play catch with you, son.. what connections are you looking for?
I don't need any connections from an internet stranger I'm good. Fraternities aren't a community no matter how many connections you get big fella