'Black Men Vote' campaign launches in Philly

UpNext

Superstar
Daps
I read the whole article, watched the video and what I gleamed from it is:

- 11% reduction in black male turner vote from 4 years ago
- Vote because it's part of the democratic process
- Vote to change policies in your favor

Cool, but no one in that article discussed how voting helped black men the last time they did it or what specific policies they wanted resolved through voting. If it's mass incarceration, what's the plan or policy? if it's unemployment what measures will be taken to induce investment in communities to create jobs? if it's violence in the neighborhoods, what policy will you take to speak with police unions, community leaders, etc?

there was nothing substantive in that article and it could have been just as pertinent last year as it is this year; the difference is this is an election year and now it matters for the next 7 months.

4 years ago:

the same stupid shyt gets trotted out every 4 years to encourage black people to vote for what, exactly? after the George Floyd protests in 2020 and police taking an knee in Philly, what changed? Philly DAO says 72% of incarcerated people in the city are black. Unemployment rate for black men, as of January 2024, is up to 5.4% from 4.6%. So what has voting done to benefit black men in Philly, exactly?

So what exactly are black men being encouraged to vote for? Again, I read the entire article. So unless the person who wrote it or the producer for the video missed something, what are these council members presenting to voters to vote? If I'm missing something, I'm more than happy to be elucidated
Folks about to run in here with pitch forks and try to claim you're right wing for actually questioning things. :francis:

Seoul Gleou

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Folks about to run in here with pitch forks and try to claim you're right wing for actually questioning things. :francis:
Let them, but they should bring receipts with the pitch forks. :whoa:

I want concrete numbers, I want facts that show me, demonstrably, that black men's lives have improved in 4 years as a direct result of voting. What policies did they vote for that positively affected their lives and which council person or statesperson spearheaded those policies.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
I read the whole article, watched the video and what I gleamed from it is:

- 11% reduction in black male turner vote from 4 years ago
- Vote because it's part of the democratic process
- Vote to change policies in your favor

Cool, but no one in that article discussed how voting helped black men the last time they did it or what specific policies they wanted resolved through voting. If it's mass incarceration, what's the plan or policy? if it's unemployment what measures will be taken to induce investment in communities to create jobs? if it's violence in the neighborhoods, what policy will you take to speak with police unions, community leaders, etc?

there was nothing substantive in that article and it could have been just as pertinent last year as it is this year; the difference is this is an election year and now it matters for the next 7 months.

4 years ago:

the same stupid shyt gets trotted out every 4 years to encourage black people to vote for what, exactly? after the George Floyd protests in 2020 and police taking an knee in Philly, what changed? Philly DAO says 72% of incarcerated people in the city are black. Unemployment rate for black men, as of January 2024, is up to 5.4% from 4.6%. So what has voting done to benefit black men in Philly, exactly?

So what exactly are black men being encouraged to vote for? Again, I read the entire article. So unless the person who wrote it or the producer for the video missed something, what are these council members presenting to voters to vote? If I'm missing something, I'm more than happy to be elucidated
The consultant in the video said that different generations might view voting and the (political) toolbox differently. Would have liked to hear the rest of his comments on that.

From my perspective , any form of political engagement starts with registering to vote. Self education about the political realities of your area and what issues are important to you are the steps after that.

We can be cousins living in the same city and can each have 3 different issues that are most important to us.
Following legislation and votes of elected officials and their effects on my issues is ideally what each individual voter should be doing.

I'm not understanding how those steps could be leapfrogged by reading an article and expecting the political histories of each of those officials to be detailed.

Black Hans

Follow Jesus. Be Beautiful
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
John 14:6
giphy.gif

Couldn't hear. The tap dancing was too loud. One star.

TripleAgent

FBA. ZayK
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
Badgering BM to vote assuming they will vote Democrat 'cause reasons like Big Mama did, likely with no tangibles or policy that directly affects them, or at least directly afects them positively. They may be playing with fire:francis:

Dr. Acula

Hail Hydra
Supporter
Daps
Vote for what specifically???:jbhmm:

And let me guess when the dems lose because theres no economic tangibles on the ballot we get blamed for yall losing anyways right???:mjgrin:
Vote for whatever you want.

You can still disagree and debate. No one knows what you do in the booth though so no can force you brehs to vote a certain way. I don't think anyone has argued anything different.

Ezekiel 25:17

Veteran
Daps
Y'all don't get tired of this?

Voting is great, but it's the absolute bare minimum. Education has a way bigger impact and if you look at our reading and math levels we aren't doing what we're supposed to

RamsayBolton

Superstar
Daps
Y'all don't get tired of this?

Voting is great, but it's the absolute bare minimum. Education has a way bigger impact and if you look at our reading and math levels it's terrible.

So then vote

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
Vote for whatever you want.

You can still disagree and debate. No one knows what you do in the booth though so no can force you brehs to vote a certain way. I don't think anyone has argued anything different.

I KNOW this :comeon:

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
I have the member you're replying to blocked, but if dudes had issues that were important to them they would surely follow and track legislation and policies relating to them.
You having to point things out indicates that the other guy is paying lip service to caring about topic x.

That's why YTers and influencers are so popular, they think and speak for people. Saves them the trouble of doing that for themselves.

Seoul Gleou

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The consultant in the video said that different generations might view voting and the (political) toolbox differently. Would have liked to hear the rest of his comments on that.

From my perspective , any form of political engagement starts with registering to vote. Self education about the political realities of your area and what issues are important to you are the steps after that.

We can be cousins living in the same city and can each have 3 different issues that are most important to us.
Following legislation and votes of elected officials and their effects on my issues is ideally what each individual voter should be doing.

I'm not understanding how those steps could be leapfrogged by reading an article and expecting the political histories of each of those officials to be detailed.
I'd like to hear more, too. Engaging politically is the bare minimum and if they want more than just registered voters, they need to make it more palatable.

Off the top of my head I can tell you 5 issues CACs care about and will vote based on: the border, national security, gun ownership, the economy, and culture wars. These 5 issues that, again, I just came up with off the top of my head, will make or break incumbents and aspirants.
Where did any of these councilmen name just 2 issues that would garner registration and voting?

It is their job to present policies that appeal to their constituents. In a clear, concise, and convincing way. Simply saying "we have to vote because that's how things change", is not enough. What change are YOU presenting?

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
I'd like to hear more, too. Engaging politically is the bare minimum and if they want more than just registered voters, they need to make it more palatable.

Off the top of my head I can tell you 5 issues CACs care about and will vote based on: the border, national security, gun ownership, the economy, and culture wars. These 5 issues that, again, I just came up with off the top of my head, will make or break incumbents and aspirants.
Where did any of these councilmen name just 2 issues that would garner registration and voting?

It is their job to present policies that appeal to their constituents. In a clear, concise, and convincing way. Simply saying "we have to vote because that's how things change", is not enough. What change are YOU presenting?

Everybody has issues that are important to them. Opting out of voting altogether gives you no say in moving the needle on those issues.

If an elected official approached me about registering to vote, I would ask what his public stances and public votes are relating to those issues.
You can't negotiate deals without first knowing in your mind what you want. The idea of an elected official getting me engaged by telling me what is important to me seems backwards.