Black man from Brooklyn, Arvel Marshall, spent 16 years in prison for a murder he didn't commit. They had video of the incident the whole time.

8WON6

The Great Negro
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kansas City, MO.

Man wrongly convicted of 2008 Brooklyn murder exonerated, freed after 16 years in prison​

ByN.J. Burkett WABC logo
Friday, August 9, 2024 4:47PM
DOWNTOWN BROOKLYN, New York (WABC) -- After spending more than a decade and a half behind bars for a murder he didn't commit, a 52-year-old man was freed from prison on Friday, after video showing the real murderer was finally presented in court.

Arvel Marshall waited 16 years in an upstate prison for the moment that unfolded on Friday.
He says he never lost faith that it would come.

"They knew I was innocent. They knew I could prove my innocence," Marshall said. "So, they tried to keep it under the table. They were hoping I'd just shut up and just accept everything that they did to me. And I said, 'nah, I'm going to fight.'"

Marshall was accused and convicted of murder, for shooting his neighbor in the head outside the man's home in Crown Heights in July of 2008, but a grainy surveillance video from the street appeared to tell a different story, indicating the killer was one of two teenagers who fired just outside of frame.

According to the district attorney's follow-up investigation, "the prosecutor was unable to play the video in court, making several attempts to do so. It appears that no one actually watched the entire video."

Marshall proclaimed his innocence throughout the trial, believing the video would prove it. Current Brooklyn District Attorney Eric Gonzalez re-opened the case, based largely on the video.

"They didn't have the technology or the ability to play it. And what was provided were still photos that did not show the entire incident. And that's just unacceptable," Gonzalez said.:duck:

What's more, the DA says, before the trial, an anonymous tipster contacted the defense claiming, "The shooting was arranged by a drug dealer who lived next door to the victim and ordered a hit against a man he believed to be encroaching on his drug territory."

It went on to claim that "the deceased was killed by a 16-year-old in a case of mistaken identity."

But none of that ever came up during the trial. Marshall insists he's not bitter. He was not up for parole until 2033.

"Let bygones be bygones," Marshall said. "Whoever did it, you know, I just hope they get justice for the victim and his family."
15166083_080924-wabc-conviction-overturned-img.jpg

These stories get to me, because i could just imagine myself being randomly picked up and blamed for something like this back in the day and basically not having any resources to fight it.

General Mills

More often than not I tend to take that L.
Daps
Reppin
Piffsburgh, PA

15166083_080924-wabc-conviction-overturned-img.jpg

These stories get to me, because i could just imagine myself being randomly picked up and blamed for something like this back in the day and basically not having any resources to fight it.
This is one of my biggest fears. Getting locked for something I had nothing to do with and sitting in a cell rotting away

Windows 91

Unreleased Operating System
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
C:\
This is one of my biggest fears. Getting locked for something I had nothing to do with and sitting in a cell rotting away

It's probably a top 3 fear for me. I can barely even read articles like this. Getting your best years stolen from you for something you didn't do is worse than death to me. No amount of money can give you your life back.

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
It's probably a top 3 fear for me. I can barely even read articles like this. Getting your best years stolen from you for something you didn't do is worse than death to me. No amount of money can give you your life back.

Yup, in that time friends and family probably die. You may go in with kids who you never saw grow up, people forget about you after a while your case gets buried.

Its crazy to think of how many innocent folks are just languishing in jail.

Esp knowing some smug prosecutor and dirty cops who didn't do their due diligence are out there living life

The Half-Blood FKA Prince

Avada Kedavbreh!
Daps
Could happen to any one of us at any given time. These prosecutors dgaf its just a job to them at best. A calling to lock up innocent brehs ar worst.

Calling it the justice system is a slap in the face to lady karma. Justice got nothing to do with it. These prisons are little more than socially acceptable legal slavery.

In no way shape or form are they there to serve or protect anyone but the wealthy. And even then u had better be a damn cac cause rich or not ur black or non white ass is certainly
not safe. Word to :what:

:francis: