Black Geek Stockholm Syndrome

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.

Black Geek Stockholm Syndrome... It's real...

Stockholm syndrome
noun Psychiatry.
an emotional attachment to a captor formed by a hostage as a result of
continuous stress, dependence, and a need to cooperate for survival.
Contrary to what many people in the geekscape believe, there's a very, very large population of Black geeks in the U.S. and abroad. There are roughly three generations of Black media consumers who've grown up with a steady diet of Star Trek, Star Wars, BSG, video games, Marvel and DC Comics, D&D role playing modules and novels, Shaw Bros. Kung-Fu flicks, Japanese animation, Asian monster cinema, old school science-fiction and fantasy literature and the smorgasbord of speculative TV programming of the last 50 years.

Geoffrey Thorne
In a "classic" episode of my WRITING FOR ROOKIES podcast - Star Trek: Titan author Geoffrey Thorne muses that the explosion in Black geek fandom and creators is a direct result of the boom of middle class Black communities of the 1960s - 1980s.

Kevin Grevioux

This idea is substantiated by UNDERWORLD franchise co-creator Kevin Grevioux who believes that the lack of Black sci-fi creators in Hollywood is because the Black lower class is more concerned with survival and therefore does not have the time to invest in imagination cultivation and unreliable creative career paths.
They are both correct - although I disagree slightly with Kevin's assessment about the lack of Black sci-fi creators. The truth is that there are PLENTY of Black sci-fi creators, the problem is Black geeks refuse to support them.

Before anyone gets all riled up, understand this: WE (as in Black sci-fi creators) don't have the marketing budget of Marvel, DC, Sony, Warner Bros., Disney, Universal, Paramount, Microsoft, Nintendo, Harper/Collins, Scholastic or any of the ubiquitous media giants in the pop culture landscape.

http://foolscrusade.blogspot.com/2014/02/black-geek-stockholm-syndrome-its-real.html?m=1

Wargames

One Of The Last Real Ones To Do It
Daps
Reppin
New York City
I actually want to learn how to write and self publish comics/scripts but I have no idea where to start.

I feel a lack of a common blueprint for starting down these career paths is the biggest obstacle

Mr. McDowell

The Brotha's Got His Own Money
Daps
Reppin
Jamaica Estates
Hollywood black people (i.e. actors) do not support these endeavors at all. All they do is complain that white people aren't giving them chances. What can you do? Gotta keep grinding, till an opportunity presents itself.

Mr. McDowell

The Brotha's Got His Own Money
Daps
Reppin
Jamaica Estates
They have no power

And no desire either. Taraji P. Henson is a perfect example of this, but getting into the exact reasons why is probably not even worth it. Here is a person with a following, who could get behind a project and produce more, but all she does is complain that Hollywood isn't treating her like her white counterparts.

To that I would say... "well, duh." That's why you have to get creative here. Stop waiting for them to hand you shyt, especially once you've already made it.