Black Female Engineer Creates Job Matching App Designed To Remove Bias From Tech Hiring

Daps
Black Female Engineer Creates Job Matching App Designed To Remove Bias Out Of Tech Hiring

Black Female Engineer Creates Job Matching App Designed To Remove Bias From Tech Hiring
Views: 21,303

At the young age of 13, Stephanie Lampkin learned to code. By the time she was 15, she was fluent in computer programming. Graduating from Stanford University with an engineering degree and from MIT with an MBA, she remembers still being told her background wasn’t “technical enough” when applying for a position at a well-known tech firm in Silicon Valley.

“The recruiter told me a sales or marketing job might open up,” she said.

Luckily for Stephanie, she ended up landing a position at Microsoft, where she would spend five years working in a technical position. But Stephanie continued to wonder if her earlier job denial could have had something to with the fact that she is a Black woman.

With this doubt looming in the back of her mind, Lampkin decided to create a job matching tool that is aimed at removing the race and gender factor from the tech sector job hunt.

The app is called “Blendoor.” It allows people searching for employment in the tech sector, to upload their resumes and then hides their name and photo from potential employers. Lampkin says the idea is to avoid bias by removing gender and ethnicity from the equation.

During her research, Lampkin found that, according to a National Bureau of Economic Research study, a “white sounding” name can return as many job callbacks as an additional eight years of experience for someone with an “African-American sounding” name.

“It’s quantifiable,” Lampkin said. “We realized that hiding names and photos created a safer space.”

Blendoor is scheduled to go live on March 11th, at this year’s SXSW digital festival for public beta testing. So far, Lampkin has had buy-in from 19 large tech firms. She aims to have 50 on the app in the near future.

EpicStoryTeller

Blazé Blazé
Daps
Reppin
Morioh
:salute: To sis, I had this same thing happen when I worked my first tech job after graduating. Recruiter on the phone was all:

Recruiter: Pleasure speaking with ya Epic, we can't wait to meet you, you "sound really articulated" and a perfect fit for the job:smugdraper:

Me: Right on, I look forward to meeting the team :myman:

Monday rolls around and it's

Me: How's it going, I'm here for the briefing :jawalrus:

Recruiter::ohhh: are you epic?

Me::troll: yes

Recruiter : Didn't expect you to look so young :lupe:

Me: I hear that a lot:mjpls:

PAWG recruiter walks in since both were giving me a briefing

PR: is this Epic? :ohhh:

Recruiter::francis: yes

PR: the pleasure is mine:shaq:

Me: Nice to meet you :takedat:

Point is the first recruiter assumed I was white based off speech and my name alone, but the minute he saw I was black I "wasn't what he expected". What happens when they still turn you down for the job after seeing you though?

Ohnoits

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
so, she has an engineering degree from stanford and an MBA from MIT, and she taught herself how to code. yet tech firms talkin bout she ain't she ain't qualified to get a foot in the door for a technical position??? :aicmon:

VERY common. Have been through it and see it happen.

In fact--there was a piece on NPR just a few weeks ago about how even if you DO get hired, you are more likely to churn out because of cultural "fits". White colleagues more likely to want to have an Asian on their team for perceived usefulness but are less likely to include a Black on teams because of a feeling that you just won't fit. It's the reason why you see a lot of Blacks in white dominated environments will do their best to fit in--it affects their ability to even move up in the organization because certain people will think they "just won't fit in".

PortCityProphet

Follow me to the truth
Daps
Reppin
Bama ass DC
I'm down for it, and proud for her but with background checks and googles being so easy I don't really see this changing the companies that have racist hiring practices anyway.

MewTwo

Freeing Pokemon From Their Masters Since 1996
Daps
Reppin
Cerulean Cave
I don't see how this helps. Eventually the employer has to see you face to face. Once they see that you're black they could just kick you out the door.

Rarely-Wrong Liggins

Name another Liggins hot I'm just honest.
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Staff
so, she has an engineering degree from stanford and an MBA from MIT, and she taught herself how to code. yet tech firms talkin bout she ain't she ain't qualified to get a foot in the door for a technical position??? :aicmon:

America y'all :blessed: