BLACK EXCELLENCE: Haben Girma is the first deaf-blind student to graduate from Harvard Law School

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
Haben Girma is the first deaf-blind student to graduate from Harvard Law School
Posted on April 19, 2017 by THEYOUNGEMPIRELeave a comment

BREAKING BARRIERS: Harma Grima

THIS IS Haben Girma, a disability rights graduate and the first deaf-blind student to graduate from Harvard Law School.

The 28-year-old was honoured by former President Obama at the White House last year on the the 25th anniversary celebration of the Americans with Disabilities Act.

She gave a moving speech about her journey and her work to push for increased accessibility and acceptance for disabled Americans.

Born in the U.S. after her mother escaped Eritrea as a refugee, Girma grew up in California learning Braille.

Growing up in the US school system, she benefited from accessible technology, such as a digital Braille device – something her elder brother, who is also deafblind, was denied in Eritrea.

Haben, who graduated in 2013, said she decided to go to law school to have the “flexibility to do a variety of things”.

She told WUNC: “A lot of my friends who were ahead of me in college — graduating seniors — were struggling to find work. So I realised I needed to further my education and a law degree would give me the flexbility to do a variety of things.”

She said that her limited vision and hearing allowed her to “develop strengths” in “analysing and problem-solving.”

Now she is working as a lawyer to try to challenge expectations of people with disabilities.

Haben Girma is the first deaf-blind student to graduate from Harvard Law School

Tim Dripcan

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Shout out to Ms. Girma and her accomplishments. What an inspiring story.

Not going to lie but this put a smile on my face.

Now I can't make any excuses for why I'm not going after my goals in life. Unfortunately, the coli will ignore an empowering story like this.

Plus she's not a bad looking woman. She's quite attractive.

Thanks for sharing, breh.

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
This is bizarre, I distinctly remember reading about her graduating from Harvard Law School when I was in high school, why are there suddenly a flurry of articles being written about her?
Nonetheless, she's an inspiration and absolutely brilliant. :whew:

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I'm saying for her to have a concept of language and words and be able to study and interpret concepts that had to be communicated to her in some way, she can't be what I thought deaf and blind was.

I read up on deafblindness after looking at this, which was my point.
I read Helen Keller's book and it still makes no sense to me.
Just extraordinary people I suppose.