Black entrepreneur starts $50 million VC fund for minority businesses

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
A Black Whiskey Entrepreneur Will Help Bankroll Others Like Her
Fawn Weaver, the founder of Uncle Nearest Premium Whiskey, has amassed a $50 million venture capital fund to seed minority-owned spirits businesses.

01black-distillers1-articleLarge.jpg

“I am looking for the brands that have the ability to be the next Uncle Nearest,” said Fawn Weaver, the whiskey company’s founder and chief executive.Credit...Jason Myers

June 1, 2021
In 2017 Fawn Weaver began bottling Uncle Nearest Premium Whiskey as a passion project to honor Nearest Green, the formerly enslaved distiller who taught Jack Daniel how to make whiskey. Four years later, her bourbon has sold nearly 1.5 million bottles, according to a recent report in The Spirits Business.

Cooking: Feast on recipes, food writing and culinary inspiration from Sam Sifton and NYT Cooking.

Uncle Nearest is now the nation’s fastest-growing whiskey brand, according to the drinks-market analysis firm IWSR. It’s a testament not just to the quality, but also to the power of an inclusive brand with a compelling story.

On Tuesday, Ms. Weaver, the company’s founder and chief executive, went a step further toward diversifying an industry long dominated by white men, as the company announced the creation of a $50 million investment fund aimed at helping minority-owned spirits businesses grow. The announcement was timed to mark the 100th anniversary of the Tulsa Race Massacre, in which a prosperous Black neighborhood in Tulsa, Okla., was destroyed and hundreds of residents were killed by a white mob.

“I am looking for the brands that have the ability to be the next Uncle Nearest,” she said during a recent video conference call with her staff. “What that means to me is, they are not building to flip, they’re not building to sell. They’re building to create generational wealth.”

Ms. Weaver said she expected to close the Uncle Nearest Venture Fund to investors by the end of June, with at least 50 percent of the capital coming from Black investors. Uncle Nearest, which is privately owned, will also invest.

The fund already has two investments in the pipeline. One is a $2 million stake in Jack from Brooklyn, which in 2012 became the first known Black-owned distillery to open in the United States since Prohibition, but ran out of money and closed. The money will go toward a relaunch of Sorel, a sweet, spiced hibiscus liqueur with Caribbean roots developed by the distillery’s founder, Jackie Summers.

A second $2 million investment is for the Equiano Rum Company, a British rum brand named for Olaudah Equiano, a prominent figure in the abolition movement who was born in Africa and enslaved in the Caribbean, and bought his way to freedom in 1766.

The Uncle Nearest Venture Fund will be overseen by a board of seven directors, including Ms. Weaver; Carolyn Feinstein, the former chief marketing officer of Dropbox; and Mark McCallum, the former chief brand officer for Brown-Forman, the company that owns the Jack Daniel Distillery.

Black-owned spirits brands will be the first investment priority, Ms. Weaver said, but the fund will consider any brand founded or led by a woman or a person of color.

“We are constantly pulling as we climb,” she said. “It’s been part of our ethos from Day 1.”

merlin_123865700_efb20fef-3f2d-46e1-9eef-e6012497f9b4-articleLarge.jpg

By Ms. Weaver’s count, she collected 10,000 documents and artifacts related to Daniel and Green, which will be housed at the Nearest Green Distillery.Credit...Nathan Morgan for The New York Times

In the summer of 2020, Uncle Nearest and Jack Daniel’s announced a joint $5 million initiative intended to bring more Black entrepreneurs into distilling, in part by offering resources and mentorship to one Black-owned spirits company each year. So many Black entrepreneurs reached out for help that Uncle Nearest began its own side project, the Black Business Booster program, to help 16 companies at once.

Ms. Weaver said she quickly realized that no amount of support with branding, strategy and publicity would make a difference if these entrepreneurs continued to be shut out from capital. “Fund-raising is all about relationships,” she said. “If you don’t have those relationships, only a tiny fraction of people pitching investors will see funding.”

Micah McFarlane, the founder of Revel Spirits, the maker of a high-end agave spirit called Avila, has experienced that struggle firsthand. Mr. McFarlane, who is Black, said he has successfully funded his young company by pounding the pavement with persistence and determination — he calls it “working the hamster wheel” — while watching as white founders easily rounded up money from family and friends.

“The reason why there aren’t more Black-owned spirits companies is really simple: It’s the sheer cost of entry in this business,” Mr. McFarlane said. “I would say access to capital, having those connections, is the No. 1 thing holding back Black entrepreneurs.”

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

Sorel liquor is back, wants to lift up more Black distillers
610d80da5f3ab.image.jpg

• Aug 10, 2021

Jackie Summers keeps a photo of a bottle of Sorel, the liquor brand he founded in 2012, on his phone. In the image, it sits beside bottles of Averna and Campari, beloved Italian spirits that trace their origins to the 1800s.

He's been thinking about the future of his product as he prepares to relaunch it this month following a five-year hiatus. Summers sees it living on for centuries, like its Italian forebears, being mixed into cocktails he's never thought of, in bars he can't possibly imagine, long after he's gone. "There is a culinary firmament where Sorel belongs," he says.

Like the monks who crafted spirits centuries ago, Summers figures he will be forgotten, a humbling thought. But he's not modest about Sorel, a version of the hibiscus-steeped "red drink" that accompanied enslaved people from West Africa to the Caribbean, where his ancestors made it. His concoction wowed craft-cocktail makers before his company, Jack From Brooklyn, folded in 2015.

Summers, who says he was the first Black person in the country to hold a distiller's license since Prohibition, says one thing sets his product apart from well-established brands: "Mine is even higher rated."

He can back his century-spanning ambition with numbers: 100,000 bottles will be available online and in 10 states by the end of the month, and his projections show them selling out by year's end. He plans to launch in another 20 markets next year.

The brand got a major boost this spring with a $2 million investment from a fund designed to grow Black-owned spirits companies. It was founded by Fawn Weaver, founder and CEO of Uncle Nearest, a company named after the Black distiller and formerly enslaved Nathan "Nearest" Green, who taught Jack Daniels the art of whiskey-making. The infusion of cash also put Summers under the tutelage of Weaver, a former real estate investor who has made Uncle Nearest the fastest-growing whiskey brand in the nation.

She saw Sorel's potential to be the next Uncle Nearest. But it can be hard for White investors, she says, to imagine a Black-owned liquor company succeeding, partly because there are so few examples of them. "Uncle Nearest can't be the only one," she says. "I want to make sure that every single person who passed on him regrets it for the rest of their lives."

Sorel is a crimson-hued global tour: the hibiscus is from Morocco, clove from Brazil, cassia (sometimes called Chinese cinnamon) from Indonesia and ginger from Nigeria.

The liquor is based on sorrel, the red hibiscus tea ubiquitous in the Caribbean. Summers notes the exact recipe of the drink varies depending on where it's made, and that it often comes spiked. "People serve the tea to the kids, and when they go off to bed, the adults add some rum," he says. He's careful to say he didn't invent the drink; he was just the first one to create a shelf-stable version.

The process, Summers says, took exactly 624 tries, each iteration tweaked a little. Hibiscus can be astringent, and many temper its puckery qualities with sugar to a cloying effect. Summers instead uses botanic notes for balance.

I see what he means: The garnet-red liquid is shot through with baking-spice warmth and juicy floral notes, all cut with the zing of ginger, with just a touch of sweetness.

I can appreciate its appeal to bartenders, who prize versatility, all the better to create their own signature concoctions. Like a kid with a gold-star sticker, Sorel plays well with others.

I mix it with good ginger beer and a thick lime wedge for a spritz-like quaff that leaves a pleasant tingle on my lips. I stir it into my favorite cocktail, a Negroni, per a recipe on the company's website, where it lends depth but politely doesn't hog the spotlight. That drink's orange-peel garnish makes me think of clove-studded citrus, and I'm suddenly picturing Sorel in cold-weather drinks, from party punches to hot toddies, where the spices would take on a festive holiday character. Maybe in an Old-Fashioned in place of bitters.

And I try it the way Summers likes it best: neat with a single ice cube for what I can imagine as a low-key (it's 15 percent alcohol) after-dinner sip where its flavors shine.

The drink is nearly as complex as Summers, whose biography reads like a movie pitch: Raised in Queens by a scientist mom and a jazz musician dad whose own parents immigrated to Harlem from Barbados and Nevis, respectively, he initially took to the corporate world, with stints in finance and publishing. In between was an interlude as an underwear model.

A cancer diagnosis in 2010 shook him. After having a tumor removed from his spine and beating long-shot odds of survival, Summers decided to make a career from the things he loved - spending time with people he liked and drinking great drinks.

Despite zero experience in the liquor industry, he envisioned a commercial version of the drink he'd long made for friends. After perfecting his recipe on his home stove, he scrounged for funding, got a distillers' license, and set up shop in his adopted neighborhood of Brooklyn.

Sorel was an immediate hit with bartenders and critics. Liquor writer F. Paul Pacult gave it five stars. Now-folded Lucky Magazine touted it as the 2012 holiday gift to give in multiples.

Hurricane Sandy destroyed his facility in 2012, and although he was able to rebuild without insurance money, a few years later, he ran out of money and steam. Next came what he calls "the pause." "I basically had a nervous breakdown," he says.

Summers, who was briefly homeless, recalls waking up one day in 2017 in a pile of garbage to the sensation of snowflakes falling on his cheeks. Later, he secured an apartment and recovered with the help of meditation and prayer (he says he is a practicing Taoist). He started teaching, writing and speaking about cocktails - and making plans to revive his company.

When the deal with an investment group he was working with fell through this spring, he emailed Weaver, whom he had met on the speaking circuit, to ask for advice.

Send over your "deck," she told him, referring to the PowerPoint slides start-ups use to pitch to funders. Within days, Weaver was on board.

"She was willing to see me for me and not what I represent," Summers says. "When you are a large Black man who walks into a room with confidence - me being me intimidated people."

Weaver agrees. "I truly believe his funding fell through because he has this Brooklyn bravado, and the bandanna, and all that - and people aren't used to that."

She sees it as part of her job as a successful Black woman in an industry dominated by White men to help other people of color get a foothold.

Within few weeks, Weaver helped put the relaunch of Sorel into motion, using her relationships with suppliers and distributors to get the product back on shelves.

Production is being handled at Laird & Company, the distillery known for its applejack, a family-owned company Summers felt shared his values and standards. He keeps a control batch whipped up in his kitchen on-site to compare to the large-scale batches. Bottles are coming from China. Distributors have been locked down.

And while his ambitions for Sorel stretch through the generations, Summers has more immediate plans for it, and for himself. He wants to be a role model for other Black people and people of color in the beverage industry - and serve as an ambassador of the spirits world.

"We need these living avatars," he says. "Food has had James Beard and Julia Child and José Andrés - all who occupied positions because of their passion and their goodwill to men. There are no living avatars in liquor."

He's looking into creating an import company for the Moroccan hibiscus he uses, because he says he's on track to be that country's biggest buyer of the flowering plant. The government of Barbados has invited him to set up a manufacturing facility there, and he's drawn to the idea of helping the economy of his grandparents' homeland become less tourism-dependent.

And he knows he doesn't want to sell out to a big beverage conglomerate, something that's important to Weaver, whose goals include creating generational wealth for Black business owners.

"The only thing better than making a company that someone wants to pay $100 million for," Summers says, "is making a company they can't afford to buy

Last edited:

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

Sorel is the Most Awarded Liqueur of 2022​

September 14, 2022
NEW YORK- Sorel, the hibiscus liqueur inspired by sorrel, the ancestral Afro-Caribbean beverage, is the most-awarded liqueur of 2022. Sorel returned to shelves in October 2021 with the support of Fawn Weaver and the Uncle Nearest Venture Fund, which invests in BIPOC/minority-founded spirits businesses. The spirit swept every major beverage award this year with Gold honors or higher, and as Sorel approaches the first anniversary of its relaunch, founder Jackie Summers–acclaimed author, activist, entrepreneur, and self-taught distiller–reflects back on the last year to acknowledge the forces that brought this reincarnation to life.
Founder Jackie Summers drinking Sorel (Photo: Sorel Liqueur)
Founder Jackie Summers drinking Sorel (Photo: Sorel Liqueur)

"With Sorel's second iteration, I've learned the importance of finding the right partners–whether financial backers, business consultants, or bartenders–and letting them do what they do best," says Jackie Summers, Founder of Sorel. "The key to our success has been about putting values over valuations, which is an atypical approach, but it works every time. Our relationship with Uncle Nearest has been fruitful because it's not just a transactional investor relationship–we share the vision of honoring heritage and history through spirits."
Sorel earned a collection of coveted accolades during the 2022 spirits awards season, including top-ranking honors and distinctions from the industry's most important spirits awards:
  • ADI International Spirits Competition - Best of Class (Bottled & Blended Spirit - Liqueur), Best of Category (Bottled & Blended Spirit - Herbal/Botanical/Spice Liqueur), Double Gold (Spirit Excellence)
  • American Craft Spirits Association - Innovation Award
  • Chilled Magazine - Chilled 100 Spirits Awards - Breakout Brand, 97 Points
  • Craft Distillers Spirits Competition - Best of Class; 93 Points
  • Distiller Magazine - 5/5 Star Rating
  • Distillery Awards - Diamond Certification
  • Finger Lakes International Wine & Spirits Competition - Gold Medal
  • Great American International Spirits Competition - Best in Show; Platinum Medal
  • John Barleycorn Awards - Double Gold (Bottle Design), Gold (Packaging Design)
  • Micro Liquor Spirit Award Competition - Triple Gold (Spirit), Triple Gold (Packaging Design), 97 Points
  • New Orleans Spirits Competition - Best in Category, Gold Medal
  • New York International Spirits Competition - Double Gold, 96 points
  • San Francisco World Spirits Competition - Gold Medal
  • Singapore World Spirits Competition - Gold Medal
  • Sip Awards - Platinum Medal
  • Ultimate Spirits Challenge - Chairman's Trophy, 96 points, Top 100 Spirits, Extraordinary Ultra Recommendation
  • Wine Enthusiast - Spirit Brand of the Year finalist (2021), 94 Points (2022)
  • World Liqueur Awards - Best American Herbal Liqueur
  • Craft Competition International Awards - Gold Medal
Sorel is currently sold in retail shops, hotels, bars, and restaurants across the country, with distribution in 20 states planned by the end of 2022, and nationwide availability in 2023.