Black artists are creating an open-source database of 3D-modeled Black hairstyle

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
set to launch on Juneteenth 2023

Black hair has been bad forever in games—from the worst box braids to the raggediest of dreads to even messing up naturals at this point," said Kahlief Adams, host of the Spawn on Me podcast, which highlights people of color in the gaming industry. "Like, you'll see a character and think, 'Sure, you got a close fade, but I don't know where your hairline is fam.'"

Last year, Oakland-based artist and UC Santa Cruz assistant professor A.M. Darke had had enough. She started recruiting Black artists for the Open Source Afro Hair Library, the industry's first free database of 3D-modeled Black hairstyles. The library, slated to launch on Juneteenth 2023, will function as a source for usable 3D assets for gaming, animation, and other ventures as well as an online gallery to inspire and normalize Black inclusion.

By recruiting all Black artists and making the database free, Darke plans to create an anti-racist, anti-capitalist, and feminist approach to the portrayal of Black hair as well as a sense of unified ownership and investment in how the hairstyles are used.

"All of us can be caretakers, all of us can be stewards, all of us can look at the work and think about how to use it ethically and point out unethical practices," said Darke, 36, who teaches Digital Arts, New Media, and Performance Play and Design. "I want to create a space that's open for all Black folks to have this conversation about what we want this to be."

Womb Raider

movin' thru the city streets
Daps
Reppin
Fo Nem
Bruh

I always say there are zero black hairstyles in GTA besides dreads…I tried other shyt and looked GOOFY

This should be a goldmine, shouldn’t be giving it away for free

breakfuss

#SHAMBLES
Supporter
Daps
Man, character creation is the WORST and usually puts me in a state of paralysis:sadbron:. And it isn't even just available hairstyles but the complexions as well. Forza Horizon 5 is the most recent example for me. So I applaud this but agree with yall that they should be licensing it out for a fee.

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
Naw cause then you won’t see it
We don't know that. Could have licensed it to unreal and had it downloaded from the store with all the other packs.

Don't act like because it's black it's worthless or can't be sold.

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Man, character creation is the WORST and usually puts me in a state of paralysis:sadbron:. And it isn't even just available hairstyles but the complexions as well. Forza Horizon 5 is the most recent example for me. So I applaud this but agree with yall that they should be licensing it out for a fee.

The character creator in Forza Horizon 5 is a fukking crime. How the fukk am I able to have a prosthesis on any combination of my limbs, but can't get a decent haircut?