BLACK ANARCHISM

Taharqa

Superstar
Daps
A-BLACK-ANARCHIST-READER-188x300.jpg
Black Anarchism: A Reader – PDF

In the expansive terrain of anarchist history, few events loom as large as the Spanish Civil War (1936-1939). Countless books, films, songs, pamphlets, buttons, t-shirts, and more are rightfully devoted to this transformative struggle for social revolution by Spanish workers and peasants. But digging through the mountain of available material, little can be found on black militants in the Spanish revolution, like the one featured in the powerful photo on the cover of this reader — a member of the Bakunin Barracks in Barcelona, Spain 1936, and a symbol of both the profound presence and absence of Black anarchism internationally.

For more than 150 years, black anarchists have played a critical role in shaping various struggles around the globe, including mass strikes, national liberation movements, tenant organizing, prisoner solidarity, queer liberation, the formation of autonomous black liberation organizations, and more.

Our current political moment is one characterized by a global resurgence of Black rebellion in response to racialized state violence, criminalization, and dispossession. Black and Afro-diasporic communities in places like Britain, South Africa, Brazil, Haiti, Colombia and the US have initiated popular social movements to resist conditions of social death and forge paths toward liberation on their own terms. Given the anti-authoritarian spirit of these struggles, the time is ripe to take a closer look at anarchism more broadly, and Black anarchism in particular.

The deceptive absence of Black anarchist politics in the existing literature can be attributed to an inherent contradiction found within the Eurocentric canon of classical anarchism which, in its allegiance to a Western conception of universalism, overlooks and actively mutes the contributions by colonized peoples. In recent years, Black militants, and others dedicated to Black anarchist politics, have gone a long way toward bringing Black anarchism into focus through numerous essays, books, interviews, and public talks, many of which are brought together for the first time in this reader.

Our hope is that this reader will serve as a fruitful contribution to ongoing dialogues, debates, and struggles occurring throughout the Black diaspora about how to move forward toward our liberation globally. “Anarchism,” noted Hannibal Abdul Shakur, “like anything else finds a radical new meaning when it meets blackness.” While this reader brings us closer to “a radical new meaning” for anarchism, there are glaring gaps that need to be filled to get a fuller picture of Black anarchism, particularly the vital contributions of black women, queer militants, and more folks from the Global South.

In struggle,
Black Rose Anarchist Federation / Federación Anarquista Rosa Negra
Black Anarchism: A Reader - Black Rose Anarchist Federation

JahFocus CS

Get It How You Get It
Daps
Reppin
Republic of New Afrika
:salute:

A lot of former Panthers became anarchists. I will edit this post a bit later with some examples.

I used to identify as an anarchist, that's where I first gravitated towards when I got into leftist politics. I don't any longer (I'd call myself a libertarian Marxist), but the anarchist tradition and aspirations should be held up high.

videogamestashbox.com

Hotep
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
When I win I bring we with me
Black Anarchism

:snoop:

Black folk folks kill me with this incessant looking at themselves through the ideological lens of Europeans. It's like the only place some people feel free to be creatively adventurous and non reliant on European thought form is in music ....and food:patrice:. As soon as mofos go into any other arena especially intellectual they refuse to add any kind of significant independent additions. The philosophical output just drops and damn near bottoms out.:what: ....at least take the raw intellectual materials and do something unique with it.

That's why I really appreciate.....

aas_logo.png

&

6291399.jpg

When the Africologist broke away from traditional white lead African studies(Africanist) the entire framing of the study of Africa changed and opened up African people to view & study themselves on/of their own terms. Like wise when black psychologist broke away from main white psychologist the same thing happened.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Black Anarchism

:snoop:

Black folk folks kill me with this incessant looking at themselves through the ideological lens of Europeans. It's like the only place some people feel free to be creatively adventurous and non reliant on European thought form is in music ....and food:patrice:. As soon as mofos go into any other arena especially intellectual they refuse to add any kind of significant independent additions. The philosophical output just drops and damn near bottoms out.:what: ....at least take the raw intellectual materials and do something unique with it.

That's why I really appreciate.....

aas_logo.png

&

6291399.jpg

When the Africologist broke away from traditional white lead African studies(Africanist) the entire framing of the study of Africa changed and opened up African people to view & study themselves on/of their own terms. Like wise when black psychologist broke away from main white psychologist the same thing happened.

Lets face it most blacks in the west relate only to europeans and we try to force relationships with blacks from around the world because of skin color.

Majority of the black people on this planet, even in continental africa do not know what it is to be "An african" in the same line as their ancestors.

Cynic

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
And how is capitalism working for blacks? Blacks need an alternative to capitalism bit I don't think anarchism is the answer...

Works great for me and other brothers and that's all that matters right now...

I'll deal with philanthropy for 3rd world blacks once I have enough to give back

The Odum of Ala Igbo

Hail Biafra!
Daps
Reppin
The Republic of Biafra
Interesting. But since we will likely always live in a world filled with states, I prefer strong, rich Black states to Black anarchism as a model of development. I don't think you can get that out of anarchism.