Birmingham police officer sentenced to 100 years in prison for arson convictions

Banned Account12

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

:ufdup:

BIRMINGHAM, Alabama -- A former Birmingham police officer this morning was sentenced to 100 years in prison on arson convictions related to [URL='http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2013/06/former_birmingham_police_offic_8.html']six fires last year in Warrior and the Ensley area of Birmingham.

Curtis Jeffrey Thornton, 28, was found guilty June 13 of four counts of second degree arson and one count each of attempted second-degree arson and first-degree criminal mischief in four fires in Warrior and two fires in western Birmingham during April and May 2012.

Jefferson County Circuit Court Judge Clyde Jones sentenced Thornton to 20 years each on the four second degree arson charges and 10 years each on the criminal mischief and attempted second-degree arson charge.

Thornton indicated he will file a notice of intent to appeal his conviction and sentence.

Before sentencing Thornton, the judge listened to a July 15 jailhouse recording of a telephone conversation Thornton had with another man in which he told the man that he would "tell everyone to kiss his a..." before apologizing or asking for mercy.

A few minutes later when Jones asked Thornton if he wanted to say anything before pronouncing sentence, Thornton declined.

Deputy Jefferson County District Attorney John Geer sought the maximum sentence on each of six counts to run consecutively for a total of 100 years. Thornton continues to be in "complete denial" and that his behavior was escalating and the fires getting more serious.

Thornton started fires while he was in uniform and on duty, Geer said. "His behavior was brazen," he said.

Geer said there may be a question about the requested 100-year sentence being longer than a murder sentence. It is rare for a person who commits murder to commit another murder. "This defendant was a serial arsonist," he said.

Thornton's grandmother, grandfather, and father asked the judge for leniency.

Sue Thornton, his grandmother, told the judge that Curtis had always been a good child and was respectful. "I can't believe that it has all come to this ... I just can't see him doing all of this," she said.

His grandmother said they have custody of Thornton's two sons, ages 7 and 8.

Thornton's attorney, Brett Hamock, told the judge that Thornton had no prior criminal history, was living in Tuscaloosa when his home was destroyed by a tornado on April 27, 2011, and that Thornton had been through a divorce and was awarded custody of his two children.

Thornton has always held a job, Hamock said.

Godfrey Chrysoverges, the father of Thornton's former fiancée and owner of house where one of the fires was started, told the judge that Thornton hurt his family. "But I think the people he hurt the most was his children... he took himself out of their lives," he said.

Chrysoverges said after the sentencing that Thornton also has a child with his daughter.

Indictments handed down last year charged Thornton in connection with these 2012 incidents: second-degree arson, related to a fire at a house at 478 Dana Drive, Warrior, on April 11; second-degree arson related to a fire of a house at 480 Dana Road, on April 19; attempted second-degree arson connected to a fire at 470 Dana Road on May 1; second degree arson for a May 8 fire at 1577 Martin Avenue in Birmingham; first-degree criminal mischief for a fire that destroyed a shed May 16 at 478 Dana Road; and second-degree arson for a fire at a house at 1708 29th Street in western Birmingham on May 21.

Thornton also was indicted in May on seven counts of possession of obscene material containing images of children under the age of 17. He has not been tried on those charges, which stem from a review of his computer following his arson arrest.

Deputy Jefferson County District Attorney Joe Roberts also prosecuted the case.

Prosecutors during the trial said that at some point Thornton stopped caring about the laws he was to enforce and began setting fires in Birmingham with another officer, Jason Arnold.

Arnold, of Hoover, and a third man, Anthony Weaver, 48, also were charged with arson in connection with the two west Birmingham fires. Court records show that Weaver's trial is set to begin June 17. Arnold's is set for Oct. 7.

Weaver filed a federal lawsuit against Arnold, Thornton, claiming that he burned down seven to 10 houses at the direction of Arnold May 2012. Weaver claims Arnold told him he and other officers were responsible for burning down one structure. He states that Arnold threatened him if he didn't comply with his request to burn down houses.

[/URL]

Former Birmingham police officer sentenced to 100 years in prison for arson convictions | al.com

Banned Account12

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Birmingham police officer charged with robbery "betrayed the public trust," chief says
Held on $1 Million dollar bond

13141654-large.jpg

BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - A Birmingham police officer robbed the same citizen twice in four days, and now is in jail and without his job.

Police Chief A.C. today announced the arrest of 27-year-old T'Derek Trimayne Luster on charges of robbery and ethics violations. The chief said Luster resigned today just before he was to go before top police officials to answer to the administrative charges. He is charged with two counts of each charge and will be held in the Jefferson County Jail with bond set at $1 million.

""We're extremely disappointed by the actions of this former officer. As the leader of this department, I will not tolerate illegal behavior by any of our personnel,'' Roper said. "Luster betrayed the public trust which is critical to successful police community relations."

Luster was assigned to the evening shift at the city's West Precinct. He joined the department in December 2008. His brother is also a Birmingham officer, and remains on the force.

The robberies happened in the pre-dawn hours last week while Luster was off duty. The first took place on July 13 at 1:30 a.m. on 51st between Terrace M and Court M. The second happened July 17 at 3:30 a.m. in the 5100 block of Terrace M.

The chief said the male victim was robbed of cash, but authorities declined to say how much. The officer and the victim appear to be acquainted in some way. "It's our understanding that they did operate in similar circles,'' Roper said. "We have not been able to identify the specific relationship yet."

It wasn't disclosed whether Luster was in uniform when the robberies happened. Asked if the officer was armed, Roper said, "We wouldn't say a weapon was used but the fact that he was a police officer, we would say that implies force even if not intended,'' he said.

Roper said police officials were notified of the victim's claims on July 17. Detectives launched parallel investigations - criminal and administrative. The officer was put on administrative duty pending the outcome of both. "We wanted to keep an eye on him,'' he said.

Police officials said they are thankful the victim felt comfortable and confident coming forward with allegations against an officer. "I appreciate the fact that the victim recognized the fact that this illegal behavior would not be tolerated by the Birmingham Police Department,'' Roper said. "So he trusted us to investigate and bring this suspect to justice. We will not tolerate crime or corruption from anyone at any time."

Asked if any other police officers are under investigation in connection with Luster case, Roper said, "Since this is an ongoing investigation, I really can't respond to that question,'' he said. "We will simply say we will follow the evidence wherever it leads."

The announcement of Luster's arrest came just hours after another former Birmingham police officer was sentenced to 100 years in prison on arson convictions related to six fires last year in Warrior and Ensley.

Curtis Thornton, 28, was found guilty June 13 of four counts of second-degree arson and one count each of attempted second-degree arson and first-degree criminal mischief in four fires in Warrior and two fires in western Birmingham during April and May 2012.

Roper said officer ethics is so important to him that he personally teaches the ethics class to all new recruits. "They hear from me what the expectations are and what the code of ethics means to this department,'' he said. "That way no one can say they were confused about the accountability and the expectations."

The majority of his officers, he said, heed the warnings. "I do understand some people have a tendency to stereotype all police officers based on the action of a few, but the bottom line is we do a good job of policing ourselves," he said. "So when somebody loses their way, it's disappointing to us but we also keep heart in the fact 99 percent of our officers are doing the right thing."

Birmingham police officer charged with robbery "betrayed the public trust," chief says | al.com

PrinceDeeDer

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
They also give out 100 years for identity theft, rape, and drugs shyt makes no sense but i don't feel sorry for him.

NotaPAWG

Banned
Daps
meanwhile, bullies and killers with badges get let off on suspension with pay.. makes sense.

NoMoreWhiteWoman2020

RIP Kobe, the best
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CTE
This is what happens when the city government itself is corrupt. That city needs a total restructuring, the whites wanna see it die as it is today

Daps
Reppin
Birmingham, Alabama
Birmingham police officer charged with robbery "betrayed the public trust," chief says
Held on $1 Million dollar bond

13141654-large.jpg

BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - A Birmingham police officer robbed the same citizen twice in four days, and now is in jail and without his job.

Police Chief A.C. today announced the arrest of 27-year-old T'Derek Trimayne Luster on charges of robbery and ethics violations. The chief said Luster resigned today just before he was to go before top police officials to answer to the administrative charges. He is charged with two counts of each charge and will be held in the Jefferson County Jail with bond set at $1 million.

""We're extremely disappointed by the actions of this former officer. As the leader of this department, I will not tolerate illegal behavior by any of our personnel,'' Roper said. "Luster betrayed the public trust which is critical to successful police community relations."

Luster was assigned to the evening shift at the city's West Precinct. He joined the department in December 2008. His brother is also a Birmingham officer, and remains on the force.

The robberies happened in the pre-dawn hours last week while Luster was off duty. The first took place on July 13 at 1:30 a.m. on 51st between Terrace M and Court M. The second happened July 17 at 3:30 a.m. in the 5100 block of Terrace M.

The chief said the male victim was robbed of cash, but authorities declined to say how much. The officer and the victim appear to be acquainted in some way. "It's our understanding that they did operate in similar circles,'' Roper said. "We have not been able to identify the specific relationship yet."

It wasn't disclosed whether Luster was in uniform when the robberies happened. Asked if the officer was armed, Roper said, "We wouldn't say a weapon was used but the fact that he was a police officer, we would say that implies force even if not intended,'' he said.

Roper said police officials were notified of the victim's claims on July 17. Detectives launched parallel investigations - criminal and administrative. The officer was put on administrative duty pending the outcome of both. "We wanted to keep an eye on him,'' he said.

Police officials said they are thankful the victim felt comfortable and confident coming forward with allegations against an officer. "I appreciate the fact that the victim recognized the fact that this illegal behavior would not be tolerated by the Birmingham Police Department,'' Roper said. "So he trusted us to investigate and bring this suspect to justice. We will not tolerate crime or corruption from anyone at any time."

Asked if any other police officers are under investigation in connection with Luster case, Roper said, "Since this is an ongoing investigation, I really can't respond to that question,'' he said. "We will simply say we will follow the evidence wherever it leads."

The announcement of Luster's arrest came just hours after another former Birmingham police officer was sentenced to 100 years in prison on arson convictions related to six fires last year in Warrior and Ensley.

Curtis Thornton, 28, was found guilty June 13 of four counts of second-degree arson and one count each of attempted second-degree arson and first-degree criminal mischief in four fires in Warrior and two fires in western Birmingham during April and May 2012.

Roper said officer ethics is so important to him that he personally teaches the ethics class to all new recruits. "They hear from me what the expectations are and what the code of ethics means to this department,'' he said. "That way no one can say they were confused about the accountability and the expectations."

The majority of his officers, he said, heed the warnings. "I do understand some people have a tendency to stereotype all police officers based on the action of a few, but the bottom line is we do a good job of policing ourselves," he said. "So when somebody loses their way, it's disappointing to us but we also keep heart in the fact 99 percent of our officers are doing the right thing."

Birmingham police officer charged with robbery "betrayed the public trust," chief says | al.com

Dude name deserves a hundred year sentence. You cant be a productive member of society named T'Derek Trimayne Luster. nikka should have slapped his moms

ChiefQueen

HBIC
Daps
I don't get these 100 years, 280 years prison convictions. :wtf: I mean just say life in prison without the possibility of parole and let's get it over with.

Banned Account12

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
you nikkas don't understand how fukked up the court system is in Birmingham

i know nikkas that got 3 years for murder cases and nikkas that have got 30 to 40 for dope cases

just this week they overturned a death penalty case this week , i forgot what his new sentence is but i kno he got to do like 5 or 6 mo years

Daps
Reppin
Birmingham, Alabama
you nikkas don't understand how fukked up the court system is in Birmingham

i know nikkas that got 3 years for murder cases and nikkas that have got 30 to 40 for dope cases

just this week they overturned a death penalty case this week , i forgot what his new sentence is but i kno he got to do like 5 or 6 mo years

Man I feel you. but I'm just happy to see Birmingham on a message board.