Bill that would mandate speed warning tech in new cars heads to Gov. Newsom's desk

bnew

Veteran
Daps

Bill that would mandate speed warning tech in new cars heads to Gov. Newsom's desk​

Lauren Martinez Image

ByLauren Martinez
KGO logo

Tuesday, September 3, 2024 2:27AM

Senate Bill 961 which would mandate speed warning technology in cars is heading to Calif. Governor Gavin Newsom's desk.

Senate Bill 961 which would mandate speed warning technology in cars is heading to Calif. Governor Gavin Newsom's desk.

SAN JOSE, Calif. (KGO) -- Speeding-related traffic deaths are on the rise in California. State Senator Scott Wiener hopes his bill will change that.

"When we have the level of death on our roads - more than 4,000 people in California and escalating, it's gone up in the last five years, that's a policy choice," Wiener said.

Senate Bill 961 is heading to Governor Gavin Newsom's desk. San Francisco Senator Scott Wiener authored the bill. It would mandate speed warning technology in cars.

"It requires that for new cars starting in 2030 to have to be equipped with existing technology that exist now, that alerts people just one alert if they are going more than 10 miles an hour over the speed limit," Wiener said.

If this bill is signed by the Governor, California will be the first state in the country to enact this kind of safety equipment.

Opponents say there are a lot of problems with it.

Jay Beeber is the executive director of policy for the National Motorists Association.

"Speed limits are often 10 miles an hour or more lower than what they roadway is built, so this is a system that would be constantly beeping for people all day long as they're driving," Beeber said.

Members of the National Motorists Association feel imposing safety requirements for cars should be left to the federal government.

"Because of the interstate commerce clause - really should be something which is done at the federal level, that's where it should be debated, that's where it should be decided on," Beeber said.

We spoke with drivers to get their thoughts. Would an alert system encourage them to slow down?

Erica Godoy just drove up from Los Angeles with her family.

"I would think it's something that's kind of annoying if you're on the highway because we just drove from L.A. and no one is driving the speed limit that's up right now. I mean, everyone's going probably about 80-85. I think it would work in like residential areas or by schools," Godoy said.

SB 961 is supported by the NTSB and Triple AAA.

"We're not physically stopping them, if people choose to speed that's their choice and it creates risk and they might get a ticket for it, but the least we can do is make sure people are aware if they are driving 10 miles per hour over the speed limit," Wiener said.

The Governor has until the end of the month to sign or veto the bill.

bnew

Veteran
Daps

Lifesaver or freedom killer? Gov. Newsom will decide if new cars give speed alerts​

A car drives by a speed limit sign

(Tim Berger / Burbank Leader)

By Ryan Fonseca Staff Writer
Sept. 5, 2024 6:30 AM PT

Good morning. It’s Thursday, Sept. 5. Here’s what you need to know to start your day.

Lifesaver or freedom killer? Gov. Newsom will decide if new cars give speed alerts​

Imagine you’re running an errand in your car when you hear a beep. You glance at your dash display and see that you’re exceeding the speed limit. Do you ease off the gas pedal or just ignore the warning and keep speeding?

More California drivers could face that choice if Gov. Gavin Newsom signs a bill state lawmakers passed last week. Senate Bill 961 requires that new cars and trucks come equipped with a warning system alerting drivers any time they travel more than 10 miles over the speed limit.

“This would mark the first law of its kind in the U.S. and would rely on existing ‘intelligent speed adaptation’ technology to try to curtail traffic fatalities and injuries,” my colleague Colleen Shalby reported this week.

The bill would mandate the technology, also called intelligent speed assistance (ISA), in new vehicles sold in the state by 2030. Several vehicle types would be exempt, including emergency vehicles, motorcycles and cars that already have built-in GPS or a front-facing camera.

State Sen. Scott Wiener (D-San Francisco), who authored the bill, said it’s one part of a broader effort to curb traffic violence, which has been surging in California.

An officer runs a driver's license

California Highway Patrol Officer Troy Christensen stops a motorist who was suspected of speeding on Interstate 5 in Anaheim.

(Chris Carlson / Associated Press)

Over the last five years, more than 18,700 people died in traffic crashes, according to state data compiled by researchers at UC Berkeley. Tens of thousands more were seriously injured. Speed-related crashes account for nearly a third of traffic deaths across the nation each year.

“It doesn’t have to be this way,” Wiener told me this week. “We know how to make our roads safer.”

Iterations of the technology have been around for years. Maybe you’ve noticed speed limits displayed when you’re using Google or Apple’s navigation apps. Waze has a feature for users to set up speeding alerts. Toyota is including the technology in all its new models next year. As of July, all new cars sold in European Union countries are required to have ISA technology.

The bill also ignited yet another ideological battle between those championing individual freedom and those advocating for collective public safety. So let’s unpack it.

From speed governors to passive warnings

Wiener’s initial bill called for mandated speed governors in new cars, which physically hinder a vehicle from going more than 10 mph over a posted speed limit.

But shocker: A policy that would force drivers to slow down — especially in California — was not popular. Wiener said it quickly became clear his bill would not gain momentum, so he opted for a “lighter touch.”

His amended bill describes the alert as a “brief, one-time visual and audio signal” that activates when a car exceeds the set threshold, rather than a constant beeping.

“It provides people with information instead of forcing them to stay below a certain speed,” Wiener said. He believes the alert will be enough to slow down most drivers, many of whom may not realize how fast they’re going — especially in newer cars that perform more quietly and smoothly.

A man gets out of a truck

Fireball Tim Lawrence arrives for another Ghost Tire memorial in February, bringing the number to 59, in honor of every person killed along Pacific Coast Highway in Malibu since 2010.

(Wally Skalij / Los Angeles Times)

Damian Kevitt, executive director of Streets Are for Everyone, is a longtime safety advocate based in Los Angeles who co-sponsored the legislation. He and fellow supporters worry that Newsom will veto the bill because of pressure from the auto industry, which he noted has a long track record of opposing safety regulations.

“As soon as you have a single state that starts doing this, the automobile industry is going to be pushing to get federal legislation,” he said. “We’re really looking at something that would help improve [safety] across the entire U.S.”

Why the auto industry and Republican lawmakers oppose the bill

The Alliance for Automotive Innovation, composed of major automakers, vehicle component suppliers and other auto industry players, opposes SB 961, contending that it should be left to the federal government to decide.

“Automakers developed technologies like intelligent speed assist to help improve roadway safety, but the right forum to debate new vehicle technology requirements is with the federal regulator,” an alliance spokesperson said in a statement. “We can’t have 50 states setting 50 competing sets of vehicle technology and safety rules.”

That regulator is the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, or NHTSA, which is known to move slowly in implementing vehicle safety rules. On the agency’s website, officials note that intelligent speed assistance “has been found to lower speeding among drivers using the systems,” citing research in Europe and the U.S. from a decade ago.

“Based on relationships between speed and safety, substantial crash savings are expected,” the agency wrote. But NHTSA has not yet started on any regulatory framework.

In an email, an agency spokesperson said NHTSA has proposed adding ISA to its 5-Star Safety Ratings program and is “initiating new research this year … specifically focusing on ISA capabilities and limitations, as well as consumer acceptance of the technology.”

The bill did not receive any Republican support, with some members in the Senate and Assembly contending that the state should leave the decision to NHTSA.

But they made other arguments against the safety feature, including:

GOP lawmakers also cited concerns about what it would cost car buyers if technology became mandated in new cars. And there was the common accusation levied in the face of many proposed government regulations: that requiring the technology would be an assault on personal freedom.

“This is just another step towards making California a nanny state,” Assemblymember James Gallagher (R-Yuba City) said. “This bill is about control. It’s not about safety.”

Let’s check some of those arguments

First, audible alerts in cars are not some strange new thing. Many cars let us know if our seat belts aren’t fastened or if our door is ajar or if we’re too close to an object while backing up. These features are designed to encourage safer behavior and avoid collisions.

As for the claim that safety regulations are freedom killers, it’s worth noting that similar arguments were made when regulators moved to require seat belts and airbags in new cars — and when states began to crack down on drunk driving.

We know seat belts and airbags save lives. Criminalizing drunk driving saves lives. Safety advocates say the research is clear that this feature will do the same.

“There’s freedom, but there’s also the right to live,” Kevitt said. “Right now, dangerous driving is costing people that freedom.”

And although some lawmakers cited concerns about the financial consequences for consumers, there’s another cost that didn’t come up. Traffic violence is estimated to cost Californians over $29 billion annually in the form of medical expenses, property damage, lost productivity, insurance payouts and more. That’s according to a NHTSA report from 2019.

To be clear: There’s no single magic bullet that will stop people from driving dangerously and hurting or killing others with their cars. Traffic safety experts say it’ll take dramatic shifts in street design, enforcement and vehicle regulations to meaningfully reduce the carnage on our roads.

east

Screwed up... till tha casket drops!!
Daps
Reppin
The Bronx ➡️ New England
bs legislation like this which nobody wants can only pass in undemocratic places like the eu and cali - far from the public's knowledge and involvement, in lands where voters don't matter

implementing this with gps will require that your whip permanently track your location, i'm sure this data would never find its way into a stalker/criminal's hands, or the gov't's (sorry for the redundancy)

i remember when cameras were mandated, statist simps were adamant that our loving gov't would never demand they be used for isa or anything else, now they're being used to prosecute people. they're either gullible, or evil and think we're all as dumb as the proverbial boiling frog.

Last edited:

Ezekiel 25:17

Veteran
Daps
These new cars are smooth...but folks still know when they're speeding. Seems unnecessary. I initially thought this was a governor they were putting in all California cars which is ludicrous.

It definitely is unnecessary, think of how many alerts you'd get too just driving around town.

I use my cruise control everywhere I go, so no problems over here.

B86

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Da Burgh
This is needed. My wife just got a 2024 Outlander and that Mi Pilot shyt makes it ti where it's almost impossible to crash. You almost forget you're supposed to be paying attention. I turned on the setting to where it regulates the speed based on whatever traffic sign it most recently read and I think every car on the road should have that shyt

east

Daps
Reppin
The Bronx ➡️ New England
This is needed. My wife just got a 2024 Outlander and that Mi Pilot shyt makes it ti where it's almost impossible to crash. You almost forget you're supposed to be paying attention. I turned on the setting to where it regulates the speed based on whatever traffic sign it most recently read and I think every car on the road should have that shyt
like you and pretty much every study on the topic said, assists encourage distracted driving and are deteriorating our collective skill. yet the solution's supposed to be to introduce more complexity, more automation, and more alerts to be mindful of? :dahell:

B86

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Da Burgh
like you and pretty much every study on the topic said, assists encourage distracted driving and are deteriorating our collective skill. yet the solution's supposed to be to introduce more complexity, more automation, and more alerts to be mindful of? :dahell:
Do you do any automation yourself? If you do, you know that if programmed correctly, machines are hundreds of times more efficient than humans can ever be, so it literally doesn't matter if you're distracted if the programming is fool proof. Its exactly why we are at the point that "technology" can replace humans in so many scenarios.

My point was that it doesn't even matter if I'm not paying attention because the car is still gonna attempt to save my life in everyway possible (assuming it's programmed correctly)

east

Daps
Reppin
The Bronx ➡️ New England
Do you do any automation yourself? If you do, you know that if programmed correctly, machines are hundreds of times more efficient than humans can ever be
sure, my main biz is at the intersection of cybersecurity/data fusion/automation

i wasn't talmbout efficiency tho, obv a front facing camera ocring signs is always gonna perform better than a human driver. i'm talking bout people wrongly thinking adas technology in its infancy is equal to full fsd, then throwing caution to the wind. you've never been in a car where the lka goes berserk when you dodge a pothole, or the lca detects traffic that isn't there and doesn't let you switch lanes? when the error's a false positive it's just an annoyance... but when it's a false negative with smth like aeb/pedestrian detection and a driver is distracted, or doesn't know/has forgotten how to avoid an accident, or just doesn't care cause they're used to ignoring false positive alarms, someone's gonna get killed. shyt breh, the first fatality involving an automated vehicle was cause of a driver who was relying on its assists: Uber car's 'safety' driver streamed TV show before fatal crash

ppl even drive drunk now cause they think the skill floor for an adas-equipped car is THAT low and that the assists will save them :francis:
when the tech becomes more mature i can see myself buying adas-outfitted whips for relatives who have lost their skill due to age, it's just not there yet and shouldn't be mandated imo :manny:
it literally doesn't matter if you're distracted if the programming is fool proof.
"nothing is idiot-proof, you just need the right idiot" :pachaha:

Last edited:

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
sounds like a measure that will cost a lot of money, but ultimately change nothing in practice. People will ignore it.
in fact whenever i used my old gps on road trip it would give me speed warnings. still drove however i wanted.

B86

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Da Burgh
sure, my main biz is at the intersection of cybersecurity/data fusion/automation

i wasn't talmbout efficiency tho, obv a front facing camera ocring signs is always gonna perform better than a human driver. i'm talking bout people wrongly thinking adas technology in its infancy is equal to full fsd, then throwing caution to the wind. you've never been in a car where the lka goes berserk when you dodge a pothole, or the lca detects traffic that isn't there and doesn't let you switch lanes? when the error's a false positive it's just an annoyance... but when it's a false negative with smth like aeb/pedestrian detection and a driver is distracted, or doesn't know/has forgotten how to avoid an accident, or just doesn't care cause they're used to ignoring false positives alarms, someone's gonna get killed. shyt breh, the first fatality involving an automated vehicle was cause of a driver who was relying on its assists: Uber car's 'safety' driver streamed TV show before fatal crash

ppl even drive drunk now cause they think the skill floor for an adas-equipped car is THAT low and that the assists will save them :francis:
when the tech becomes more mature i can see myself buying a whip equipped with this stuff for relatives who have lost their skill due to age, it's just not there yet and shouldn't be mandated imo :manny:

"nothing is idiot-proof, you just need the right idiot" :pachaha:
I hear you but no, I've never encountered what you're talking about. You can switch lanes flawlessly everytime as long as you use a turn signal. You also have to have your hands on the steering wheel at all times or 5 seconds later it's vibrating the hell outta the steering wheel, vibrating the buttons on the dashboard, and flashing warnings that its going to turn off the self driving. But you're correct in the sense that maybe nothing is "fool proof". But that goes back to me trusting machines/programming more than any human

Geek Nasty

Brain Knowledgeably Whizzy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Kakalaka
NEVER trust these gateway laws. They said that seatbelt laws wouldn't be a justification for traffic stops or the sole reason to ticket someone. Soon as they got it on the books they started removing all restrictions on them.

Soon as they get this tech *legally* in cars the next step will be quietly reporting that info to law enforcement and your insurers then just using your car's blackbox to ticket you based on GPS data.

B86

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Da Burgh
NEVER trust these gateway laws. They said that seatbelt laws wouldn't be a justification for traffic stops or the sole reason to ticket someone. Soon as they got it on the books they started removing all restrictions on them.

Soon as they get this tech *legally* in cars the next step will be quietly reporting that info to law enforcement and your insurers then just using your car's blackbox to ticket you based on GPS data.
What is the issue with following the speed limits or wearing a seat belt? You're literally saying "I'm willing to put my life and everybody else life on the road at risk because I want to do what I want to do"... makes ZERO sense