Best Genetic Testing for African Americans

King

The black man is always targeted.
Daps
Hey brehs,

I’m trying to find the best genetic testing brands for black Americans to trace their ancestry back to Africa.

My mom would like to get tested to see where her ancestry comes from, people have told her she looks Nigerian but she’s looking for a concrete answer.

I know a lot of services aren’t really accurate and that people can take the test multiple times and get completely different results. Also some doubt the accuracy of the test in general.

Has anyone had experience with and/or recommend any genetic testing services? Are there other methods as well?

GoAggieGo.

getting blitzed.
Daps
Reppin
ATL via Tre 4
My brother and I used 23andMe.

Was able to trace most of my ancestry back to the region of present day Nigeria. Also, they listed some tribes that was most likely where our ancestors began with in the area, but I forgot the names at this time. Found out on the ethnic split, I was ~87% West African and around 11% European.

Haven’t heard about any other ancestry kits, but I get emails and ads about African ancestry

1thouwow

Poster of the Year
Daps
Our history was intentionally destroyed. Now you running back to cacs for them to put your dna database and tell you some made up shyt that you’re 89% Nigerian and 11% Polish. You gonna fake attempt to make plans to visit them countries too :unimpressed:

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Our history was intentionally destroyed. Now you running back to cacs for them to put your dna database and tell you some made up shyt that you’re 89% Nigerian and 11% Polish. You gonna fake attempt to make plans to visit them countries too :unimpressed:

Too much hotepery in this post breh :mjlol:

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
My brother and I used 23andMe.

Was able to trace most of my ancestry back to the region of present day Nigeria. Also, they listed some tribes that was most likely where our ancestors began with in the area, but I forgot the names at this time. Found out on the ethnic split, I was ~87% West African and around 11% European.

Haven’t heard about any other ancestry kits, but I get emails and ads about African ancestry

If you are an African American then I would not put too much stock into the testing of 23andme and Ancesty.com, until they increase their sample sizes to include more people in places like Sierra Leone, Burkina Faso, Liberia, Guinea, etc. Right now they put more people in the Nigeria and Ghana regions of West Africa, because that is basically where they center their sampling.