Best/Favorite Teachers...

Daps
Reppin
404bywayof305
Not that the two are always the same (maybe even rarely), but what did your best teachers do that made them good? What did your favorite teachers do that made them your favorite?

Do you maintain those relationships over time?

Anothergirl

Goat ™
Daps
high school drama\theater arts teacher. i credit him with bringing a shy young AG out of her shell...making her take uncomfortable risks..making her step out of her comfort zone and ultimately creating a last confidence in me that i still have now. :obama:

when you can stand up in front of 45+ people and do a self written monologue putting yourself completely out there at their mercy (and actually manage to make those same laugh in the process) you realize there's nothing you CAN'T do in life and that people don't bite. :yeshrug: thank you Mr. B. :to:

intruder

SOHH Class of 2003 and CASUAL sports fan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
Dr. Morris Johnson - History professor at FIU and Miami Dade College.

Classes taken
  • American History
  • World History
  • Religion
Dude taught me a lot about history and life overall. He doesnt just make you read and ask you questions. He'll make you read a chapter and have you write him a 3 page essay about it. Unless you have the patience to read and write this is not the professor for you.
Because of him i love history and read and watch anything related to it that i can get my hands on. History teaches you a lot and makes you a better person. Helps you accept all human beings for who they are when you know their plight. Key thing I learned: CRITICAL THINKING OF EVERYTHING INCLUDING YOURSELF

Dr. Walter Thain - SPSU School of Engineering

Classes taken
  • Circuits II
  • Electronics I and II
  • Data Communications
  • Telecommunications Management
  • Advance Telecommunications
  • Telecom Project

Dude failed me in Electronics I. He told me he failed me on purpose because he felt i had the smarts but lacked the work ethics. Made me work some of my labs without a partner on purpose. I was mad then but i see what he was doing now. I realized I can be a lazy bum when im allowed to be so he isolated me to make me work. Made me a better student in the end. Learned a lot.

Daps
Reppin
404bywayof305
high school drama\theater arts teacher. i credit him with bringing a shy young AG out of her shell...making her take uncomfortable risks..making her step out of her comfort zone and ultimately creating a last confidence in me that i still have now. :obama:

when you can stand up in front of 45+ people and do a self written monologue putting yourself completely out there at their mercy (and actually manage to make those same laugh in the process) you realize there's nothing you CAN'T do in life and that people don't bite. :yeshrug: thank you Mr. B. :to:

I wonder if people's best teachers are in content courses but their favorite teachers are in electives. The content courses seem to force teachers to push through material in effective ways making them good. The electives, without that constraint, seem to allow for children to explore other ideas about themselves or the world, making them well-liked. I guess the best teachers do both?

Daps
Reppin
404bywayof305
Dr. Morris Johnson - History professor at FIU and Miami Dade College.

Classes taken
  • American History
  • World History
  • Religion
Dude taught me a lot about history and life overall. He doesnt just make you read and ask you questions. He'll make you read a chapter and have you write him a 3 page essay about it. Unless you have the patience to read and write this is not the professor for you.
Because of him i love history and read and watch anything related to it that i can get my hands on. History teaches you a lot and makes you a better person. Helps you accept all human beings for who they are when you know their plight. Key thing I learned: CRITICAL THINKING OF EVERYTHING INCLUDING YOURSELF

Dr. Walter Thain - SPSU School of Engineering

Classes taken
  • Circuits II
  • Electronics I and II
  • Data Communications
  • Telecommunications Management
  • Advance Telecommunications
  • Telecom Project

Dude failed me in Electronics I. He told me he failed me on purpose because he felt i had the smarts but lacked the work ethics. Made me work some of my labs without a partner on purpose. I was mad then but i see what he was doing now. I realized I can be a lazy bum when im allowed to be so he isolated me to make me work. Made me a better student in the end. Learned a lot.

How did he get you to think critically about history? Examples?

intruder

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
How did he get you to think critically about history? Examples?

Simple things really like the Founding fathers of the U.S.A. for example: He gave us some background on most of them and then had us read a few chapters about the beginning of the american revolution paying special attention on key things that each individual focused on in their part. Then asked us to dismiss the notion of freedom and taxation without representation for the sake of argument and give him what was in it for THEM personally to separate from the British.

When all the students were done reading their opinions you realize that this was more about greed than it was about freedom. I dont remember all the details since this was a long time ago but a lot of interesting stuff.

I loved that man's classes but they were rough and a lot of people dropped out because he was so demanding. Most semesters his classes would start with about 30 students and come finals time there would barely be 15 left if that.

Oh.. and he was one the first person that made me aware of how lazy I was for my intelligence. Then years later Thain roasted me for it at SPSU

DreadHead P

lettin em hang and swang
Resting in Peace
Daps
Reppin
Deep in the south kickin uptop game
Had a teacher in the 7th grade named Ms. Linnette , it was a real small private school so we had her for more than 1 class but she was really more of a temp mom than a teacher, she kept it real wit us, wasn't afraid to talk to us on our level, she just took her job way passed the doors of the school, her fiance was a record producer so she made a deal wit me, for every test I scored over a 90 on she would take me to his studio and let me sit in on session, only teacher I've ever had tell us she loved us at the end of every day. Haven't heard from her in years, last thing I heard was she got a job teaching English at a university in Korea

intruder

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
I googled and found him too. LMAO. Thats my homie right there. I've learned so much from this dude. All the crap in the background are donations from students that he collects to take to schools in small countries.

Project%20Office%20008.jpg

I miss my homie. R.I.P.

MR. SNIFLES

**** YOU THUNDAAAAAAAAAAH
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
THUNDER BUDDIES
MY FAVORITE TEACHERS WERE MY BIOLOGY/CHEMISTRY/PHYSICS TEACHERS IN HIGH SCHOOL. THEY WERE HARD BUT THEY MADE YOU REALLY FIGHT FOR THOSE GRADES. THEY BOTH RETIRED. THE SYSTEM LOST 2 GOOD ONES.

MY MOST HATED TEACHER WAS MY SPANISH TEACHER. SHE HATED THAT I SLEPT THROUGH HER CLASS EVERYDAY AND STILL KILLED HER TESTS.

cleanface coney

Superstar
Daps
I googled and found him too. LMAO. Thats my homie right there. I've learned so much from this dude. All the crap in the background are donations from students that he collects to take to schools in small countries.

Project%20Office%20008.jpg

I miss my homie. R.I.P.

DAMN WHEN HE DIE MAN!!

intruder

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
LMAO @ people on ratemyprof.com killing my homie

student1 said:
"He single handedly makes Miami Dade College look like s***t. All the selections on his tests are trick questions. At the end he tears your extra credit down to give you as little points as possible. He is rude, disrespectful, and you will always feel like beating the **ap out of this little sinister old scruge who calls himeself a professor"
:laff:

student3 said:
"Dr. Johnson is probably the worst professor I've had while attending any educational institution. Tests are very tricky, he's extremely rude to his students and could care less whether you do well or not. He also showes up to all of his classes late and has the nerve to get upset when you're let. If he is still teaching I don't advise you take him."

Yup.. thats him alright :laff:

student3 said:
"Very good professor. Great orator. Took him for summer A and it was a great class. Pay attention and study. He is not easy, but if you study you can make a good grade. "

Finally someone with an actual STUDENT

student4 said:
Excellent class. Dr. Johnson expects a lot from his students, if you keep up with the textbook reading, you will do well. He also offers a ton of extra credit work. This class requires a lot of hard work and dedication, but it's possible to do well

There you go

student5 said:
I hate this guy. I would rather drink a warm glass of vinegar and pierce my nipples with a wooden spoon, then take this professor again.
:dead:

ThumpDaddy

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Birmingham, AL
My favorite teacher was Mr. Powell, my 11th Grade Chemistry teacher. He was the goofiest white dude that I had ever met. When you see him, he put you in the mind of Jim Carrey doing a skit on "In Living Color". What I liked about him is that he never did work out the book. Every day we came into Chemistry class he an experiment to do. The only time we did work out of the book was when he was mad at us for doing something stupid and when we had to learn how to balance out equations. Other than that, we was doing something with water, fire, electricity, we made beer thru fermentation, but he poisoned it so we wouldn't drink it. He was also one of our academic bowl coaches too. But overall, he was a cool teacher and since I blew up stuff in the class a lot he used to always talk about me messing something up. I don't know where he's at now but I wouldn't mind talking to him just to see what's going on with him.