Bench Press Grip Width

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
How far is your guys grip when you guys are benching? For a while I always started with my pinkies on the silver ring to get max chest involvement, but idk if it is too far. It is definitely a little wider then it is for my military press. Should it be the same?

I mean I am thinking about switching permanently to dumbbells :patrice:, but for flat db press getting them up when I do my strength week would be annoying. Just want to avoid any potential shoulder problems.

-DMP-

The Prince of All Posters
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Brady Bunch/#Midnightboyz
I use to do wide, with elbow flaired, but then I got really bad tendonitis in my rotator cuffs, so I switched to medium width with elbows slightly tucked.

I stopped touching my chest as well to limit my ROM of my shoulders.

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
I use to do wide, with elbow flaired, but then I got really bad tendonitis in my rotator cuffs, so I switched to medium width with elbows slightly tucked.

I stopped touching my chest as well to limit my ROM of my shoulders.

I'm not really sure which one is better but I'm just changing up my grip to see how it feels for a few weeks.

Where do you stop when doing your reps?

luckyse7enz

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit/Los Angeles
PANKIES or ring finger on the rings...

Used to lift in college with my boy from high school. Huge dude...All-State DE/TE, won the state title in shot-put. We both worked at our college's gym and whenever we'd bench, he'd make it a point to line his grip up while yelling, "PANKIES ON THE RANGS!" :damn:

After all these years, it's still stuck in my head. whenever I grab a barbell... :laugh:

-DMP-

The Prince of All Posters
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Brady Bunch/#Midnightboyz
I'm not really sure which one is better but I'm just changing up my grip to see how it feels for a few weeks.

Where do you stop when doing your reps?
I use one of those neck protectors that you squat with(it looks like a black paper towel roll if you haven't seen it). I put it in the middle of the bar and let that touch my chest.

It's about 3/4 inch thick so i come down far enough to work out my chest but it's thick enough to stop my shoulders from going to far back.

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
How far is your guys grip when you guys are benching? For a while I always started with my pinkies on the silver ring to get max chest involvement, but idk if it is too far. It is definitely a little wider then it is for my military press. Should it be the same?

I mean I am thinking about switching permanently to dumbbells :patrice:, but for flat db press getting them up when I do my strength week would be annoying. Just want to avoid any potential shoulder problems.
How tall are you? Pinkies on the ring is narrow as fukk for an average dude.

I do index finger on the ring. I'm 5' 9" with slightly long arms.

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps

I'm between 5'6 - 5'7. I always did pinkie on the silver rings. Is your ohp press width the same as your bench?

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
I'm between 5'6 - 5'7. I always did pinkie on the silver rings. Is your ohp press width the same as your bench?
No, my OHP grip is way narrower. For OHP I do pinky on the ring. Feels a lot more natural. I used to go even narrower for OHP but that made my elbows flare too much.

Generally the narrower the grip the more tricep and less everything else. For you pinky grip might be the move for bench and something narrower might be the move for OHP. But play with different widths and see what u like

Dank Hill

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I put my thumbs on the inside end of the grip bumps on the bar and press from there. Its the most comfortable to me

Circle p

All Star
Daps
I'm 6'2 with really long arms and I put my pinkys on the inside of the ring..I have no issues with shoulder problems since doing it this way

itsyoung!!

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area

index finger on the ring at 5'9
tumblr_mispzkNyvk1r33r0fo1_500.gif

Zyne

Legend
Supporter
Daps
Find the grip that when the bar touches you chest, your wrist, forearm, and elbow are in alignment with each other.
bench-press-grip-width.jpg

Kano

All Star
Daps
Find the grip that when the bar touches you chest, your wrist, forearm, and elbow are in alignment with each other.
bench-press-grip-width.jpg

Was going to say this. Everyone has a sweet spot. Just think about your shoulders and what feels comfortable. I don't go to my chest. Slightly higher around 1-2 inches. Easier on my shoulders.

I'm 5'7" 170 - 165 and I can bench 225 for 3.

I hate seeing bad form. A lot of dudes just want to put on weight without thinking of the long term effects on the body.

Dips really improved my Bench as well as doing 100 push-ups every night.