BBC Olympics Commentator Corrected By Co-Host After Misgendering U.S. Shot Putter Raven Saunders

Sleepy Floyd

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Houston, Texas

A BBC Olympics commentator was corrected by his co-host live on air this morning after failing to use the preferred pronouns for U.S. shot putter Raven Saunders.

Steve Backley, a former Team GB javelin thrower, repeatedly described Saunders as “her” during coverage of Thursday’s women’s shot put qualifying in the Stade de France, Paris.

Saunders, who won a silver medal at the Tokyo Games, identifies as non-binary and uses the they/them pronouns. Backley’s co-host Jazmin Sawyers pointed this out during the output.

“The colorful character of Raven Saunders back. Good to see her back, sort of. Sort of see her, I mean,” Backley told BBC viewers, referencing Saunders’ distinctive mask.

Sawyers replied: “Well we can’t see them very well. Raven Saunders actually non-binary and wearing the mask there, we’re quite used to seeing them with interesting atire.”

Saunders, who qualified for the Olympic final, has described the mask as being part of their Incredible Hulk alter-ego after they suffered mental health issues.

“I learned how to compartmentalize, the same way that Bruce Banner learned to control the Hulk, learned how to let the Hulk come out during the right moments, and that way it also gave him a sign of mental peace,” they told Yahoo Sports in 2021.

The BBC commentary was seized upon by those who are critical of gender diversity, while others applauded Sawyers for correcting the record.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
They and them is just too confusing. Its a plural meaning for a group of people.
Better off just using the person's name anytime you want to address that person.

"its good to see her back."
"its good to see them back"

"its good to see Raven back"

VertigoKnight

Veteran
Daps
I was out at the weekend and it's funny to see people ask each other's pronouns when they meet for the next time.

I just call everyone by their name or they/them can't be offended by that

Daps
They and them is just too confusing. Its a plural meaning for a group of people.
Better off just using the person's name anytime you want to address that person.

"its good to see her back."
"its good to see them back"

"its good to see Raven back"
When they used it to describe a trans Mass Shooter at a school I thought that shyt was crazy you need to know if there’s more than one shooter not be politically correct towards a psychopath.

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
I was out at the weekend and it's funny to see people ask each other's pronouns when they meet for the next time.

I just call everyone by their name or they/them can't be offended by that

I only think you should use that ish if your name is like courtney or kelly and you're guy

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
When they used it to describe a trans Mass Shooter at a school I thought that shyt was crazy you need to know if there’s more than one shooter not be politically correct towards a psychopath.
They should use the "Tea Pot method" that i just invented seconds ago.

T-POT = That Person Over There.

Instead of "who is she?" who is that person?

basically you eliminate Gender specific or gender neutral pronouns altogether. everyone is just a person

Last edited: