Basic MMA class?

jadillac

Veteran
Daps
@Mowgli @THEREALBRAND Other brehs on here...

I am in good shape already gym-wise, but I want to take some sort of self-defense class.

What should I start off with?

I want to take something where say if I get into a fight with some dude bigger than me and he throws a punch or lunges at me, I want to be able to use his momentum/size against him and get him in an arm bar or choke to diffuse the situation quickly.

What do y'all suggest?

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
@Mowgli @THEREALBRAND Other brehs on here...

I am in good shape already gym-wise, but I want to take some sort of self-defense class.

What should I start off with?

I want to take something where say if I get into a fight with some dude bigger than me and he throws a punch or lunges at me, I want to be able to use his momentum/size against him and get him in an arm bar or choke to diffuse the situation quickly.

What do y'all suggest?
Mma-jiujitsu

And Or boxing - kickboxing

From accredited boxing gym part of some boxing association.

From official school with jiujitsu lineage to Carlos gracie-mitsuyo maeda.

If you want to be manhandling big dudes like @blackzeus you're going to need to be training jiujitsu 3 days a week for at least a year while maintaining your gym regiment.

Daps
I'm in the same situation. I plan on doing boxing because it seems like one of the only disciplines where you can get some real world experience by stepping in the ring and fighting other amateurs. After 100 rounds of fighting nikkas in the ring there isn't going to be to many people on the streets who can fukk with you. From my research it didn't seem like a lot of other fighting disciplines regularly had matches where you could go all out on somebody like in boxing.

Daps
MT for striking clinch work and some nice trips
Judo/Wrestling if you want pure stand up grappling loading up a fool and slamming a skilled opponent is very satisfying on a primal level
Jits or some for of sub grappling for ground work. Jits is field tested and has the best quality control so go with that.

Gyms are always cool with new cats trying to learn just don't go hard general unspoken rule is hit as hard as you want to get hit. Although when you first start you'll be drilling mostly technique.

I think all brehs should have some kind of martial training good luck in your quest for a gym. Make sure you shop around and find one with dudes that you vibe with I've left gyms with decent instructors because the other dudes were weirdos.