Basic guide how to get shredded

diggy

Florida Man
Supporter
Daps
Taken from a thread on MD

I’ve seen many variations of diets lately – carb cycling, keto, timed carbs, intermittent fasting, 1 big meal/day diet, protein only diets etc etc while these might work to a some degree, some might drop fat faster (while losing more muscle mass too) – the basic moderate/low carbohydrate and protein with low fats worked always the best. If followed strictly and correctly – everyone can get shredded on this type diet. So where to start? Firstly you’ve to know where you’re at – if you’re 20%+ body fat you need at least 20 weeks of diet, 15-20% - 16 weeks, 10-15% – 12 weeks, 8-10% - 8-10 weeks. The best option of course is to start leaner, get shredded and then fill out up until the show. Long diets tortuous the body, flattens it out, I’ve seen only few examples when someone who started with high bf did longer diet, dieted hard up until the show all 16-20 weeks and looked better than someone who started leaner, got even leaner in 6-8 weeks and then filled out for the show for the last few weeks. It’s very rare. So firstly – you must don’t get fat in the offseason.

So the diet begins. Where to start? General rule would be 1.25g/protein and 1.5g/carbs per lean body mass, and no added fats (only take efa’s caps during the day).1.25g/lb protein per lean body mass is more than enough to start with, when carbs are still higher and never should exceed 1.5g/lb, more than that - it's waste and harder to get in shape. Carbs are needed for hard workouts, filling out the muscle glycogen and recuperation. Fats - when dieting as little as possible - 10-15g efas a day and egg yolk or few and beef meal (early in he diet) is more than enough.

EXAMPLE:

So for someone who is 225 and 10-12% and starts diet 12 weeks out, he needs 300g carbs and 250g protein (200lb lean body mass x1.25g/protein and x1.5g/carbs ) to start with, spread carbs over 5 meals, protein over 6 meals

12 weeks out diet (300g carbs, 250g protein, trace fats):
Meal1 – 75g carbs, 40g protein
Meal2 – 50g carbs, 40g protein
Meal3 – 75g carbs, 40g protein PWO
Meal4 – 50g carbs, 40g protein
Meal5 – 50g carbs, 40g protein
Meal6 –50g protein

When progress stops (usually after 2-3 weeks, continue droping carbs and up protein slightly from the dropped carb meal):

9 weeks out diet (250g carbs, 260g protein, trace fats):
Meal4 – 50g carbs, 40g protein
Meal5 – 50g protein
Meal6 – 50g protein

6 weeks out diet (200g carbs, 270g protein, trace fats):
Meal4 – 50g protein
Meal5 – 50g protein
Meal6 – 50g protein

At this point if followed correctly the athlete should be at very low bf, 5-10 pounds from contest weight, not to lose muscle mass when body fat are low, glycogen stores low too, he needs to carb up. It’s very individual things but as a basic rule once every 7 days – carb up with at least double amount of carbs you were taking on the diet so with previous example:

Carb-up (400g carbs, 250g protein, trace fats):
Meal1 – 100g carbs, 40g protein
Meal2 – 75g carbs, 40g protein
Meal3 – 100g carbs, 40g protein PWO
Meal4 – 75g carbs, 40g protein
Meal5 – 50g carbs, 40g protein
Meal6 – 50g protein

3 weeks out diet:
Again there might be 2 options:

[*]If someone already got contest ready – those last weeks is used to fill out. That mean – more carbs than he was at his lowest. Add 50-100g carbs at a time/week.

[*]If someone needs to lose more body fat diet might look like this:

Meal2 – 50g protein
Meal4 – 50g protein
Meal5 – 50g protein
Meal6 – 50g protein

Or go even as low as 100g of carbs a day (won’t go lower than that) - 50g morning and another 50g post workout.

No cheat meals, during whole prep!

Training:
When you restrict calories, you have to be careful to not overtrain. Do not do more sets than it’s required to hold on muscle and DO NOT try to burn as much calories as you can when you are weight training. Weight training is for muscle stimulations, diet and cardio for burning fat. Do no more than 12 working sets for bigger body parts (quads, back, chest) and 9-10 for smaller (biceps, triceps, shoulders, hams, calves). Workout split might look like this:

Monday: Chest / Triceps
Tuesday: Quads / Calves
Wednesday: OFF
Thursday: Shoulders / Hamstrings
Friday: Back / Biceps
Saturday: OFF
Sunday: OFF

Cardio:
Start with as little as possible. Bodybuilders are not marathon runners. Again there might be a lot of variations – if someone is lean (8-10%) I wouldn’t start him doing cardio at all and try to drop body fat with diet. So if he starts his diet 8-10 weeks out, no cardio for 2-3 weeks, if he’s dropping the fat – continue the same diet, no cardio, if stops – drop the carbs for a few weeks if the body fat drops and the stops dropping – add 30min cardio eod at about 4-5 weeks out. Another example if someone is carrying more bf – 15-20%. I would start him prep at least 16 weeks out (20 even better) by doing cardio on non training days (if he trains 4 times then cardio 3 times) by adding a session of cardio every week or two until he gets to 5 cardio session a week (no cardio on quad training days and 1 complete rest/day), when he is doing 5 cardio session/week – continue adding 5 min of cardio to each session every week or two (depending on progress) when/if he gets to 45 minutes of cardio/day if the diet is already low in cals I would add another session of cardio PWO, hard cardio session – HIIT for 15-20 minutes. Again if the diet was followed correctly and started at right time, usually 45 minutes of cardio 5-6 times a week is the most someone would need.

Last week: Coming soon!

Drug cycle: Coming soon!

Posted from my mobile device using tapatalk2

villain

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
berlin
this looks like a thread for hardcore nikkas trying get into comps

diggy

Florida Man
Supporter
Daps
There are ratios there for anyone to use as a guide line to start

Posted from my mobile device using tapatalk2

Benny P

Registered Rican
Daps
i was into carb cycling...into I realized that it really did come down to calories in vs calories out. as long as i hit my protein and fats...then my carbs aren't nearly as bad. i prefer a more high protein, moderate to high fats, and low to moderate carbs approach.

makin' all kinnnddsssaaa gaiinnnnsss

YouMadd?

Chakra Daddy
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
California
I try to keep my diet

50% Protein 30% Carbs 20% Fat

Im 5'10 180 lbs 12% bodyfat... Trying to get under 10% though...

TYBG

Ditty Dum Ditty Doo
Supporter
Daps
I try to keep my diet

50% Protein 30% Carbs 20% Fat

Im 5'10 180 lbs 12% bodyfat... Trying to get under 10% though...

You're 12%? Thought you were lower... I could've swore you had a pic showing obliques and 6pack NH.

Back to topic...that thread looks something serious.

nalej

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Seatown
This diet is way too strict. People living regular lives ain't going to follow this. Especially people that actually like to eat like me. Check out leangains, I've been doing this recently and get to eat tons of carbs on workout days and fatty foods on rest days. I get to eat good food everyday and still have managed to cut.

YouMadd?

Chakra Daddy
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
California
You're 12%? Thought you were lower... I could've swore you had a pic showing obliques and 6pack NH.

Back to topic...that thread looks something serious.

Yeah I was about 10 lbs lighter in that pic.... I gained 10 pounds trying to bulk up my chest:scusthov: