Bad first gimmicks

Alaskan
Daps
Inspired by a conversation with a friend after watching GOTG 3 about how far Batista has come from being a Deacon for D-Von Dudley's dumb and short lived preacher gimmick to star of a billion dolar franchise. What other wrestlers had shytty gimmicks early in their career and ended up being huge in spite of them? Nash as the fictional land of OZ immediately comes to mind. Three count too, although none of the members went on to have main event level careers, Shane Helms did pretty well for himself and will probably be in the HOF eventually. I'd say maybe Hollywood Blonde Steve Austin, but he actually seemed cool at the time. Aldo Montoya the Korean manowar would be a good example if Justin Credible didn't also fukking suck. I'm sure there's plenty I'm forgetting, who you got?

Daps
Reppin
LDN
Oz
Ringmaster Steve Austin
Isaac Yankem
Max Moon
Spirit Squad Nicky
Diamond Studd Scott Hall
Sexual Chocolate Mark Henry
Dingo Warrior
Master Blaster Sting
Rockabilly
The Roadie

Alaskan
Daps
Oz
Ringmaster Steve Austin
Isaac Yankem
Max Moon
Spirit Squad Nicky
Diamond Studd Scott Hall
Sexual Chocolate Mark Henry
Dingo Warrior
Master Blaster Sting
Rockabilly
The Roadie

Hall is basically my GOAT, but I thankfully never had to see him as yhe Diamond Studd. As far as Road Dogg and the Assman, I'd argue that they always sucked. shyt, my favorite Billy Gunn run is his current one in AEW. Isaac Yankem is a great pick that I somehow forgot, maybe because it's so far removed from what he ended up becoming with Kane. Max moon? Nah I disagree, Konan was never over pre joining the NWO. Take away the Wolfpac association and his catchphrases and dude would have been a Saturday Night midcarder/ Thunder jobber/ Nitro security guard.

JQ Legend

Veteran
Daps
Before Kane was Isaac Yankem, he was the fake Diesel when WWF made a fake Razor and Diesel after Hall and Nash went to WCW :sas2:

Wild how Gorilla was name dropping Kevin Nash on WWF tv like that :ohhh:

Alaskan
Daps
Rocky Maivia.

I'd argue that Rocky Miavia to The Rock was more tweaking an existing gimmick on the fly over time than a whole ass different gimmick (same deal with Corporate Rock to Hollywood Rock), but I definitely can't argue that one worked and one didn't. He was still using Miavia after he joined the NOD though, and basically narrated the change himself week by week. Most wrestlers, at least the ones I'm thinking of for this thread, had to pretend to be a whole ass different person. It's not like Diesel came out and clowned the OZ gimmick, or The Godfather acknowledged being Papa Shango or Kama the ultimate fighter or whatever his name was. shyt, even DX Billy Gunn was presented as a different dude than Smokin Gunns Billy was, same with "The Roadie" Jesse James. They may have kept the names, but their entire presentation changed instantly and their past work in the fed was never mentioned, as far as I remember.

Daps
Reppin
LDN
Hall is basically my GOAT, but I thankfully never had to see him as yhe Diamond Studd. As far as Road Dogg and the Assman, I'd argue that they always sucked. shyt, my favorite Billy Gunn run is his current one in AEW. Isaac Yankem is a great pick that I somehow forgot, maybe because it's so far removed from what he ended up becoming with Kane. Max moon? Nah I disagree, Konan was never over pre joining the NWO. Take away the Wolfpac association and his catchphrases and dude would have been a Saturday Night midcarder/ Thunder jobber/ Nitro security guard.
Konnan is/was a megastar and royalty in Mexican wrestling

Alaskan
Daps
Konnan is/was a megastar and royalty in Mexican wrestling

Fair, I guess I was thinking about his runs on TV in the states.

Is he really that big down there though, or is that who he portrays himself to be? I've spent time in Mexico and talked wrestling with a couple dudes I bought Lucha masks from, his name never came up when we talked Mexico's GOATS.

Wolfpac

Don't Turn Your Back....
Supporter
Daps
When Taker signed with WCW and wrestled as “Mean Mark” Callous. :wow:

Like what the fukk is that? HE’S MEAN!! WATCH OUT!!! :damn: :damn:

• Haha
Reactions: 907

Tres Leches

Empire Business
Daps
Before Kane was Isaac Yankem, he was the fake Diesel when WWF made a fake Razor and Diesel after Hall and Nash went to WCW :sas2:

Wild how Gorilla was name dropping Kevin Nash on WWF tv like that :ohhh:

Na I think Isaac yankem was before fake diesel but not 100% sure