B.Dot's criticism of Hot97's playlist gives birth to Social Media Mondays

Newark88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Newark, NJ
On Twitter this weekend, B.Dot of Rap Radar chastised Flex about putting too much of his energy on the radio beef with Power 105.1 instead of breaking new artists/songs on his show. Flex then told B.Dot to make a list of 10 artists/songs that he feels that are overlooked, and he'll spin them. B. Dot called Flex show and every Monday night at 10:15, Flex is gonna have "Social Media Mondays". It's kinda like how they use to have Battle Of The Beats back in the day. He's going to play a song from an up and coming artist each Monday and bloggers will call up to the show and give their 2 cents to which rappers they think should be played (which in itself can be political). Tonight, Flex wound up dropping bombs on the Queen's rapper 360 track "Own Thing" [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrgeF-v_lyQ"]360 - Own Thing - Everywhere And Back EP - YouTube[/ame]. Here's the list B.Dot gave to Flex.

In Flex We Trust » RapRadar’s B.Dot Picks 10 Songs He Feels Are Being Overlooked

Honestly, I feel there should be more of representation of NY artists on NY radio period. Just like I noted in my New NY thread http://www.the-coli.com/booth/15487...oc-marciano-coke-boyz-harry-fraud-thread.html There are dudes out here like Action Bronson that have potential to balance the line between "commercial" and "underground" and deserve as much or more airplay then people on that list. No diss to those artists on B.Dot's lists but I feel people up here are putting out heat too. So I decided to compile a list of my own that I personally feel needs to be shown love on all the mixshows, right along with the hits being played. In order for terrestrial radio to survive in the next 10 years, they have to broaden their playlist. Getting paid by the labels to play the same 5 songs each hour and handcuffing the DJ's on the station to follow a set playlist is not going to cut it anymore.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y56d5naXfS4]TROY AVE FREE BASE [OFFICIAL VIDEO] BRICKS IN MY BACKPACK 3 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rkGXfq2eec]A-MAFIA "TED DIBIASE" [MUSIC VIDEO] - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_XseD4oQTI]Troy Ave - Home T.E.A.M. Ft. Action Bronson, Mr Muthafukkin' eXquire & Maffew Ragazino [2012 New] - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:

tremonthustler1

aka bx_representer
Daps
Reppin
My Pops Forever RIP
first of all, I agree. The song selection is off on B. Dot's list. If I was gonna play Big K.R.I.T. or Mac Miller, I'd use different songs instead of the singles. That's how songs used to get broken onto radio and eventually spreading elsewhere.

I don't have much of an issue with your list other than the hesitance to make it an Action Bronson marathon. I'd probably put a Smoke DZA song or two from Rugby Thompson like Playground Legend or Ashtray (Turnbuckle Music is cool too but that's another track with Action Bronson).

even though he's from LA, Dom Kennedy got some singles in that Yellow Album he got. They could play a song of two like My Kind of Party or We Ball

Newark88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Newark, NJ
first of all, I agree. The song selection is off on B. Dot's list. If I was gonna play Big K.R.I.T. or Mac Miller, I'd use different songs instead of the singles. That's how songs used to get broken onto radio and eventually spreading elsewhere.

I don't have much of an issue with your list other than the hesitance to make it an Action Bronson marathon. I'd probably put a Smoke DZA song or two from Rugby Thompson like Playground Legend or Ashtray (Turnbuckle Music is cool too but that's another track with Action Bronson).

even though he's from LA, Dom Kennedy got some singles in that Yellow Album he got. They could play a song of two like My Kind of Party or We Ball

Yea I didn't wanna turn it into an Action Bronson selection, but I strongly feel that him, Joey Bada$$, and maybe Troy Ave have the most potential to blow up if pushed properly. Dom Kennedy is a good choice from Cali. I'm not really feeling DZA's latest material like that.

Newark88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Newark, NJ
Alright, well there's some good that has come out of this lol B. Dot just called Flex and every Monday night at 10:15, Flex is gonna have "Social Media Mondays". It's kinda like how they use to have Battle Of The Beats back in the day. He's going to play a song from an up and coming artist each Monday and bloggers will call up to the show and give their 2 cents to which rappers they think should be played. The concept is cool but I still stand by what I said on my original posts. So we'll see where this goes.

Daps
Flex gets paid to spin certain songs so he's not spinning anything unless something crispy and green is going in his pocket.

Firefly

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I felt B Dot for what he said but he def copped out. U have to remember these people all sleep in the same bed. At the end of the day Rap Radar is a deeply industry run site. They get paid to post things by labels.

Looking at the artists he picked with his "BS" excuse of picking songs "that would appeal to a radio audience" should set off a RED FLAG.

Dude you have time to break "New" artists who don't have Paid Promotions and Marketing teams and labels going for them. That eliminates most of his list.

B Dot doesn't like "underground" music as he's said alot on twitter. His taste in music is actually pretty corny. I shuddered when he said he was gonna make a list. These people are all in bed with ea. other at the end of the day. Flex ratings are not good. That's why he's gotta try new things. 105 is killing them, hence why he's still keeping the battle alive because at least it's giving him attention.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
It's a shame NY radio don't support NY rap. If you don't like hard drums and grimy samples get the fukk out the city.

I can think of a few NY tracks that might appeal to folks on the radio. I see no problem with adding some shyt like this to a night radio playlist, come the fukk on

Last edited by a moderator:

HoLLaBaCK

SOHH ICEY
Daps
Reppin
New York
I only listen to Funkmaster Flex for the rants and the occasional freestyles...not to break new artist.

IM gonna find the new dope shyt myself.

Akademiks

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This was very backwards IMO.

BLOG SITES like rapradar onsmash and other outlets are the actual placesto break new artists...... Hype on BLog Sites >>>>> Radio stations playing new artists.

Radio is where it usedto be ... now the only thing radio can do is drive home a song u already know of.. and to make u feel like its the hottest thing ever on the planet.

Blog nyggas need to do blog things and stop tryna get flex to stop going off on his rants.

His rants are the only reason we tune in nowadays.. sad to say lol.

If i ever wanted to listen to music i plug my ipod into the car. Flex is a radio character like how reality shows them ppl are tv actors ... only to entertain me

Dump Gawd

Im Exactly What You Think
Daps
Reppin
The 6ix
this is dope

i'm with newark on this one the ny movement and songs he posted are all fire