• Attack on Titan

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Game of Thrones

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters

CW_1991

Banned
Daps
Which series do you think overall is better?

Both are fairly long running, have an ensemble cast of interesting characters who are not necessarily protected by plot armor, have deep well thought out stories with tons twists and turns throughout, rich lore, etc. They're also both pretty violent and gritty with a bunch of gray morality.

I feel like they're both definitely comparable. Attack on Titan is easily The Game of Thrones of anime.

Curious to hear thoughts. Assuming you've seen both.

MischievousMonkey

Gor bu dëgër
Daps
And both have ass endings :lolbron:

I prefer Attack on Titan but despite the similarities you cited, I think they are very different in several aspects and the distinct nature of their media (TV show adaptation of a book and anime adaptation of a manga) makes them all the more hard to compare.

Some examples :

Twists:

There might be twists in both but they're of a different nature. The appeal of GoT surprises, I think, is that they're unpredictable, in that they defy TV tropes and the expectations people built from knowing them.

AoT got some of that, but most of the surprises are actually predicted in that most of them are part of a big secret the show/manga tasks the viewers and characters with solving. I don't remember huge, fundamental secrets in GoT. Looming important events, yes. But no fundamental mysteries like in AoT. And AoT builds a lot anticipation on the back of the interest for these secrets, that get peeled back layer by layer with surprises accompanying each one.

Set and costume design:

GoT excels with it
, but there is no equivalent in AoT. I guess you could maybe put AoT character design or artstyle as a stand in, but it gets very janky.

Animation quality:

No equivalent in GoT. Camera work maybe?

World building:

GoT has a much larger world it spends time exploring. But AoT's premise is straight up descendants of survivors trapped in a world with no culture. That's the point. Should AoT lose points for that?