ATG vs slightly below parallel. with squats

hypo666

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
At my gym, which is a real bodybuilding /powerlifting gym I have had numerous people tell me to stop going ATG,now in my squats as I am loading up far too much weight, on the rack and due to this I should only go slightly below parallel, as going ATG with the weight Iam using will fukk up my knees/ lower back etc etc. Apparently ATG is fine for lighter weights, but at my level I need to stop it.

So today I had someone watch my form,. and I went down to just below parallel,using the same weights, and did the same reps/sets, yet after I had knee pain for the first time, in ages, it was my right knee. It's gone now, it didn't stop the rest of my leg training, but obviously that concerns me a bit.

Just wondered what others thought about what I have been told in my gym,should I listen to them and perserve with doing heavy squats the 'right way', or go back to ATG, . , I do wonder whether because Iam six foot 3,which for bodybuilders especially these days is quite tall, maybe ATG squats suit me better. Now the peoplle advising me, aren't just regular gym goers, they have competed in bodybuilding or powerlifing competitions, one won a mr universe back in the seventies, If it was just random people who might have tead the latest mens health article on squatting I would ignore it.

semtex

:)
Daps
At my gym, which is a real bodybuilding /powerlifting gym I have had numerous people tell me to stop going ATG,now in my squats as I am loading up far too much weight, on the rack and due to this I should only go slightly below parallel, as going ATG with the weight Iam using will fukk up my knees/ lower back etc etc. Apparently ATG is fine for lighter weights, but at my level I need to stop it.

So today I had someone watch my form,. and I went down to just below parallel,using the same weights, and did the same reps/sets, yet after I had knee pain for the first time, in ages, it was my right knee. It's gone now, it didn't stop the rest of my leg training, but obviously that concerns me a bit.

Just wondered what others thought about what I have been told in my gym,should I listen to them and perserve with doing heavy squats the 'right way', or go back to ATG, . , I do wonder whether because Iam six foot 3,which for bodybuilders especially these days is quite tall, maybe ATG squats suit me better. Now the peoplle advising me, aren't just regular gym goers, they have competed in bodybuilding or powerlifing competitions, one won a mr universe back in the seventies, If it was just random people who might have tead the latest mens health article on squatting I would ignore it.
Do what feels right fam

MMS

Intensity Integrity Intelligence
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Auburn, AL
id say it depends on height. Its harder for taller people to go lower.

also depends on flexibility/femur length

parallel is all you need imo

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA

I would have to see a video of your performing a squat, no homo.

EA

A Pound & A Prayer
Daps
Reppin
London, UK
id say it depends on height. Its harder for taller people to go lower.

also depends on flexibility/femur length

parallel is all you need imo

This. I tried ATG when I started and I came to the conclusion that I'm too tall to do it consistently with good form. My knees were on fire as soon as I started putting more plates on the bar.