hbcu-sex-ratio.png

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
It's sad but I don't think it has anything to do with the HCBUs. A symptom of how Black boys are being failed in elementary school and beyond.

Also a slight possibility - as male and black male college rates drop, I wouldn't be surprised if recruiting high-value black males has become a priority at many PWIs. So a few of the Black men who might otherwise have gone to HCBUs are being drawn into PWIs instead via better than expected offers.

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
Can't put my finger on it, but the article seems to dance around why boys don't want to go to school.

Black male students often don’t feel they are college material.

“You have the entirety of your life to spend as a minority in America, there is
something profound about choosing for four years to be the majority.”

It’s important to him that young boys have a teacher and potential role model who looks like them

The cost of attending an HBCU can also deter students.

The university is known for its STEM programs and the cost didn’t
seem worth it as a mass communication major.
That changed last year when he found out he would receive the Walsh Scholarship, a full-ride
scholarship that Xavier gives to one male,

These don't seem to be explanatory at the core, if you ask me.

This though

If being in school isn’t something you feel positively about, “there’s no reason why you would
want to continue down a track like that,”

They should have really investigated this. I think brothers that are not interested in higher ed come in a lot of flavors, and they have differing reasons for not going to college (or the military or vocational training...).

And because it's WaPo, they don't mention that most Americans 60-65% don't have college degrees. So they're already pushing this idea that having a college degree is the norm in this country.

OperationNumbNutts

Superstar
Daps
The ratio is actually consistent across the board in all types of colleges. Obviously blacks it's impact is significant. We allowed capitalism to push women ahead and men aside. Personally I think it's due to us not adopting our own norms.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
The ratio is actually consistent across the board in all types of colleges. Obviously blacks it's impact is significant. We allowed capitalism to push women ahead and men aside. Personally I think it's due to us not adopting our own norms.

I'm quite anti-capitalist, but how did capitalism keep Black boys from getting into college? Unless you mean the problems in the school system are the result of bowing to capitalism, which there's sort of an argument for.

Last edited: