As You Get Older in Hip Hop (Taste in Music, Artist Change)

Waterproof

Warrior Lifestyle
Daps
I'm a soon to be 48:mjlol:, hip hop head and I noticed lots of changes in my music and artist I like as a I get older, what changes you noticed?

Here's mines

1) I listen to Cormega music more than Nas (Nas is one of my favorite personal Emcee in my top 5, and I always listen to Nas albums and brought them. Never cared for Mega but now I'm older I started listening to Mega music for the past 5 years I play more Cormega than Nas

2) I listen to Masta Killa and Raekwon more than Ghostface Killah and Rza. Rza and Ghostface is too damn explicit to me, they are too damn grown to be emceeing like that and their older stuff, I just don't get down with some of their explicit shyt towards women. Masta Killa discography is one of the best in Wu Tang and Raekwon stay with the jewels.

3) I listen to Sunz of Man, Killarmy more than Wu Tang

4) I listen more De La Soul than ATCQ

5) I listen to Soul Assassins (Cypress Hill, Psycho Realm, Everlast, DJ Muggs, La Coka Nostra, Mitchy Slick, Rage Against the Machine, Sick Jacken) more than any crew in hip hop, they get the most burn from me

That's just some of the changes I noticed.

What about y'all

MasterThought

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I barely listen to rap now....used to be obsessed with it.

The themes in most rap music just doesn't align with my spirit any longer.....I think Benny The Butcher is a phenomenal lyricist but I can't sit through song after song about selling dope.

Heck, even down to the language doesn't align with my spirit anymore.

I'm at a point now where I don't really like profanity in the music I listen to..... especially the Nword....can't stand hearing the Nword over and over and over and over and over in rap music.

R&B, jazz and gospel is pretty much all I listen to now.

Gospel music specifically has become a huge part of my life over the past 5 years and has pretty much taken over where rap used to be.

Mac Ten

Class of 97 !!!
Daps
Reppin
B-More
1. I’ll give the new cats a chance….

I used to flat out not listen to Future, now I’ve grown to like him. He’s been consistent for a decade now

2. Lil B should be a legend in this era. He made it cool to rap off beat on LoFi .

3. I used to think Boosie was wack when I was a kid but I can see why folks down South actually fukks with him. Him and Pac made songs that could capture your emotions. No matter how these new cats don’t respect Boosie, he’ll always make a killing.

Mac Ten

Class of 97 !!!
Daps
Reppin
B-More
I have over 300 CDs so you know I’m gonna always support…

Certain CDs are becoming hard to find.

For the life of me, I can’t find a decent copy of Thug Mentality 1999 and Thug on Da Line by Krayzie Bone anywhere

Waterproof

Warrior Lifestyle
Daps
I barely listen to rap now....used to be obsessed with it.

The themes in most rap music just doesn't align with my spirit any longer.....I think Benny The Butcher is a phenomenal lyricist but I can't sit through song after song about selling dope.

Heck, even down to the language doesn't align with my spirit anymore.

I'm at a point now where I don't really like profanity in the music I listen to..... especially the Nword....can't stand hearing the Nword over and over and over and over and over in rap music.

R&B, jazz and gospel is pretty much all I listen to now.

Gospel music specifically has become a huge part of my life over the past 5 years and has pretty much taken over where rap used to be.
Yo, I agree 💯! And it's funny you mentioned Gospel, because I listen to more Gospel Rap than hip hop.

Also I'm heavy into Blues and Jazz

Waterproof

Warrior Lifestyle
Daps
1. I’ll give the new cats a chance….

I used to flat out not listen to Future, now I’ve grown to like him. He’s been consistent for a decade now

2. Lil B should be a legend in this era. He made it cool to rap off beat on LoFi .

3. I used to think Boosie was wack when I was a kid but I can see why folks down South actually fukks with him. Him and Pac made songs that could capture your emotions. No matter how these new cats don’t respect Boosie, he’ll always make a killing.
Base Gawd:wow:

Gifted one

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
I listen to more instrumental albums/Beat Tapes more than an overall rap album. Hearing the samples, the chops, the pockets they may hit, the drum kicks, the emotion you can get from hearing a beat. A beat can make you sad, mad, make you bob your head til you almost snap your neck. Plus it sounds like it's the soundtrack to your life as you're doing your day to day.

Nas, Pac, Hov, Kast and ATCQ will always be cemented in my top 5 since their music raised me, I don't see it ever changing even if I'm 80 years old.

Playaz Eyez

Veteran
Daps
I’d say since 2016 (I’m 37) I’ve seen just how important producers are in comparison to the rapper. I still listen to rap heavily but I almost hone in on the production more than anything, leading me to listen to so many off the radar rappers I would’ve never heard of otherwise.

I’ve also grown to appreciate previous eras one hit (or two hit) wonder type artists as simply fun artists that served their niche, only reminding me that a lot of present day artists with sustained careers due to social media simply don’t have the juice that those previous era artists had.

Mr. Negative

Conspiracy Weirdo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Mississippi Cotton Field
I give more new artists a chance, whereas before I was a lyrically lyrical snob. Not saying I was listening to Anticon or some shyt, but if you told young me he'd be a fan of say... Larry June, he'd prolly go on a tirade.

I also appreciate music older music that I never gave a chance.

Sonic Boom of the South

Louisiana, Army War Vet, Jackson State Univ Alum,
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Rosenbreg's, Rosenberg's...1825, Tulane
joe-biden-diary.gif