Are WWE character names really that great, or are we just used to hearing them?

jadillac

Veteran
Daps
Which is it? Because when these wrestlers go elsewhere, these new names are almost always wack sounding TO ME.

Mercedes Mone sounds :scust:

I get it, Mercedes is her real name, but Sasha Banks is just a better sounding name.

Daniel Bryan sounds better than Bryan Danielson.

TO ME.

thenatural

Superstar
Daps
I think we're just conditioned. I remember everyone was and still is trashing on those ridiculous names since the late 2000s.

drifter

Superstar
Daps
I don't think it's conditioning, WWE used to have better quality control on names than they do now which is why most suck today. A major one was they needed to pass the announcer test. Now talent picks the name and then they debut with some shyt internet turds don't like and run blame to Vince lol

Mercedes Mone sounds bad because it's an awful name, it's what Kaci Lennox would name herself if she learned a Meteora and WWE replaced Sasha with her. Even CEO is generic cola status compared to The Boss. She had a chance to reinvent herself and didn't it is what it is

TL15

Veteran
Daps
It’s more familiarity than anything.

Plenty of AEW names sound fine because that’s what you know them as. Imagine calling your friend “Andy” for 5 years and then he goes to college and everyone is calling him “Drew” :dahell:

Nothing wrong with Drew, you’re just used to Andy.

CBoz

We Are NXT!
Daps
Reppin
The NXT Universe
It’s more familiarity than anything.

Plenty of AEW names sound fine because that’s what you know them as. Imagine calling your friend “Andy” for 5 years and then he goes to college and everyone is calling him “Drew” :dahell:

Nothing wrong with Drew, you’re just used to Andy.
Were they born "Andrew". If so that's not that big of a stretch. :heh:

Daps
Reppin
LDN
Some are good but nikkas love to complain for the sake of it, others suck but we’re used to them

Dolph Ziggler has always been a trash name, but names like Antonio Cesaro, Damien Priest and Alexander Rusev were shyt on just because they were a change from what their previous names were

CBoz

We Are NXT!
Daps
Reppin
The NXT Universe
Some are good but nikkas love to complain for the sake of it, others suck but we’re used to them

Dolph Ziggler has always been a trash name, but names like Antonio Cesaro, Damien Priest and Alexander Rusev were shyt on just because they were a change from what their previous names were
If I recall Damian Priest never changed his WWE name. It's always been that.

Vince was right on Cesaro and Rusev. Ain't no one want to say that long ass name.

jadillac

Veteran
Daps
I don't think it's conditioning, WWE used to have better quality control on names than they do now which is why most suck today. A major one was they needed to pass the announcer test. Now talent picks the name and then they debut with some shyt internet turds don't like and run blame to Vince lol

Mercedes Mone sounds bad because it's an awful name, it's what Kaci Lennox would name herself if she learned a Meteora and WWE replaced Sasha with her. Even CEO is generic cola status compared to The Boss. She had a chance to reinvent herself and didn't it is what it is

You go from Banks to Mone(y) (but pronounce as Monay)

I get it, but it's not good to me

jadillac

Veteran
Daps

Ziggler is an awful name just like Bron Breakker.

So wwe does have some clunkers. But that kinda proves the other names that work well are actually good, not just a case of familiarity

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
It is familiarity.

Plus wwe bias and mass fan exodus.
created from the burial based ideal.
wwe cements its workers in As standard.
To break and bury said talent.
To reach and grovel for the imaginary brass ring. While trying to master the McMahon kiss my ass club rating system. Designed around the idea.
It isn't supposed to be good.

Art Barr

Reality Check

Keepin' it 100
Daps

IMO Damien Priest > Punishment Martinez

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
Depends on the name... sometimes they're good, other times not so.

There's names people initially hated but over time, weren't bad at all. Seth Rollins > Tyler Black. Sasha Banks was a dope name. Finn Balor is dope. Cesaro was better than Claudio Castagnoli.

Really, the only time I felt they were consistently giving people bad names was that late-00/early-10s time period where they'd have these goof-ass names like "Jackson Andrews", "Atlas Ortiz", "etc. that just didn't sound like a wrestler's name, sounded like they came out of a name generator :pachaha: