Are Weightlifting/Powerlifting Shoes Practical?

QuintessentialBM

GoldenAgeGamer82 - PSN ID
Daps
Reppin
Gamers Paradise
I'm more of a minimalist person who values practicality, so I never made a legitimate effort to validate the usefulness of these types of shoes over lifting in running/tennis shoes. I'll admit... Price is a big concern only because I'm kind of cheap/stingy by nature. I don't see the point in dropping $200+ for any shoe(never owned a pair of J's either). I have a hook up, so cost is less of a factor, however, I'm not sold on usefulness.

So what is your opinion on the practicality of weightlifting shoes?

semtex

:)
Daps
I use chucks but I've never used PL shoes so I can't make a comparison

QuintessentialBM

Daps
Reppin
Gamers Paradise
I think they are very practical

If your ankle flexibility sucks or you have very long legs any bit of help counts. Hell those things help even if you don't have those issues. I dig what they are about... they've just never been enough of a priority for me to jump

I feel you on the priority issue. That's how I feel. I have one small, but important ankle issue. I have a surgically repaired left ankle that I would like to give it whatever support/protection it needs. That ankle does lack the original flexibility it had. I may break down and cop some joints for the low.

better buy some chucks and call it a day

I use chucks but I've never used PL shoes so I can't make a comparison

I've heard multiple people mention Chucks. I've also heard dudes use church shoes and steel-toed boots. Why are Chucks so preferred?

brother walt

GOOD AND CHEAP PODCAST
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
GOOD AND CHEAP PODCAST
I feel you on the priority issue. That's how I feel. I have one small, but important ankle issue. I have a surgically repaired left ankle that I would like to give it whatever support/protection it needs. That ankle does lack the original flexibility it had. I may break down and cop some joints for the low.

I've heard multiple people mention Chucks. I've also heard dudes use church shoes and steel-toed boots. Why are Chucks so preferred?

because of the flat bottom and they light

QuintessentialBM

Daps
Reppin
Gamers Paradise
Well I'm gonna check out these second-hand retailers and see if I find a reliable PL shoe that is compete priced with CT's. I'll keep the CT option on the table.

Daps
Reppin
The Last of the Outlaws
I own Reebok Crossfit lifter plus 2.0's and a pair of Chucks. eBay is a goldmine for Olympic kicks.

Since I'm a tall low bar squatter I'm not seeing as much of a difference as a high bar squatter would seeing as I have to sit back not straight down.

Chucks or socks are just fine imo if your ankle flexibility and form are in tact.

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
I'm more of a minimalist person who values practicality, so I never made a legitimate effort to validate the usefulness of these types of shoes over lifting in running/tennis shoes. I'll admit... Price is a big concern only because I'm kind of cheap/stingy by nature. I don't see the point in dropping $200+ for any shoe(never owned a pair of J's either). I have a hook up, so cost is less of a factor, however, I'm not sold on usefulness.

They would be practical if you compete in power-lifting or Olympic weightlifting.
If you don't, then any sneaker with a solid rubber sole or hiking boot would work. You don't want to use running shoes as the mid-sole is very soft or other sneaker where there's a soft foam mid-sole. Indoor soccer, cross-training, Converse chuck taylors or Timberland boots are good.

philmonroe

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The 215

Bold sounds more like you been broke aka don't have enough disposable income than cheap but get it how you get it. As far as the shoes if you do a lot of powerlifting work esp squats they are better than regular ball sneaks IMO. Like others have said like dude below chucks can work also if your money tight on this type of purchase.

better buy some chucks and call it a day
This

qwicknezz

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I recently copped some adipowers and I love them so far... Its not so much the ankle flexibility, but that it gives a very stable surface for your feet to push against. Also feels much better for my knees doing heavy squats. They were expensive, but I dont really send much money on clothes or anything else of that nature and I hit the gym 5x a week, so might as well spend it on something I'll use alot. I used to squat and deadlift barefoot, but this is much better. If they're expensive for you, you could always try chucks, vans, or wrestling shoes.

jilla82

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
the internet
I've always been a Converse guy...
...but I copped a pair of these Reebok shoes...best decision I've made in the gym in a minute.

They are flatter and wider than chucks...so the support is much better.
I low bar squat so I don't need that raise other shoes give.

I bought them when reebok had 50% off their site...so I think I paid like $40.
and Amazon has some sizes for $40

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
I have a pair of Adipowers and will never squat in anything else. I have been eyeing the Reebok Crossfit Lite TRs for all other lifting days, but I dont really need em as I have some Levi Chuck Taylor knock offs that get the job done

You Win Perfect

bow down
Daps
i have the cheaper Adidas PowerLift because I didn't wanna drop $150-$200 for the adipower. I paid $80 for these. They look nice too.

powerlift.jpg