Are weddings important in 2013?

The Nigerian

The Realest Member of TheColi
Daps
Reppin
All The Way One Hunnid
So there's this guy that's getting married. We knew each other growing up but I haven't really interacted with dude for years. I mean, we run into each other every now and again, like once every couple of years, but I couldn't tell you about the last conversation that we had. I couldn't even tell you if it was pleasant or not.

I received what could have been an invitation to the dude's wedding, but I never opened it, as I only open mail that might contain money. The rest gets burned every Friday. I got a call from my mom asking about if I was going but I hit her with the "Mehhhhhh." She seemed indifferent so that's cool. But I feel like she could hold this against me for some reason. I don't want that at all, but this wedding nonsense is not my lane.

Long story short, can I just skip this wedding? I mean, I doubt that I'll talk to or see this guy any time soon and I'm pretty sure he'll have ANOTHER wedding within the next 10 years or so. I don't think I'm particularly busy that weekend but I *really* don't want to go.

Are weddings even important in 2013? I haven't been to a wedding since I was like 11 years old. On Facebook it looks like everyone has to wear the same poorly tailored suit/tux and it looks like you have to bring a date. Dreadful. I am not the one.

I think I might find dude's number and text or find him on Facebook and shoot him an FB message with my congratulations and keep it moving.

Mr Hate Coffee

Veteran
Daps
You don't really talk to him like that, so where's the pressure to go? Just say congrats and that you can't make it.

The Nigerian

Daps
Reppin
All The Way One Hunnid
You don't really talk to him like that, so where's the pressure to go? Just say congrats and that you can't make it.
I feel like society and common courtesy dictates that I should go. People will think of me some kind of way if I don't. I mean, they already do, but not attending might make things worse.

Mr210

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
one of my aunts is getting married next month, im not going and I dont care how she feels about it

Turbulent

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I feel like society and common courtesy dictates that I should go. People will think of me some kind of way if I don't. I mean, they already do, but not attending might make things worse.
well if that's how you feel then do what society dictates you then.

The Nigerian

Daps
Reppin
All The Way One Hunnid
well if that's how you feel then do what society dictates you then.
Yeah, I've been mulling this over all morning and I've decided against attending. I will neither talk about my decision with these people nor will I be giving my regards either. I think being quiet about my absence is going to be the best policy. Hopefully nobody will notice and the fall out will be minimal.

Turbulent

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yeah, I've been mulling this over all morning and I've decided against attending. I will neither talk about my decision with these people nor will I be giving my regards either. I think being quiet about my absence is going to be the best policy. Hopefully nobody will notice and the fall out will be minimal.
By the way you describe it, it seems like you're not fully behind your own decision. there is still doubt in your mind as far as if you're doing the right thing. Seems to me like you don't want to go but are ashamed of not going so you will avoid people and hope they don't notice you and hope the fall out is minimal. If you were confident you were doing the right thing, all of that wouldn't matter to you because you'd be a peace within.

I don't know if you should or shouldn't go. All I know is that you shouldn't go because of peer pressure and fear of social judgement, but at the same time you shouldn't "not go" out of social anxiety.

skeetsinternal

I never see my nut
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cervixes
:camby: to weddings. I forgot which female coli poster said it but I would rather do a 2-3 week honeymoon and :pacspit: the wedding. City hall is fine with me and fiance

Dada

Face===>Heel
Daps
Depends on what kind of cake they're having. :patrice: If you're close to them, go. If not, it doesn't really matter. You can always get them a gift from their wedding registry. If they don't send you a thank you note or give you a ring about it, you'll have learned a lot about the depth of your friendship/association.

Daps
I only go to wedding of immediate fam and very close friends, the rest of them? Nah :camby: