Are there any breathing techniques

CanesMiamiLakers

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
For some reason I tend to hold my breath while working or even while I'm having sex. I just started doing cardio (running laps) and I see I become out of breath within 3 mins.
Is this something that will change as I continue to workout more or is it a technique I need to learn?

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
For some reason I tend to hold my breath while working or even while I'm having sex. I just started doing cardio (running laps) and I see I become out of breath within 3 mins.
Is this something that will change as I continue to workout more or is it a technique I need to learn?
So you are holding your breath while running subconsciously?

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
Don't hold your breath.

Spliff

Godzilla got busy.
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
For lifts: breath out during concentric phase (when muscle contracts), breath in during eccentric phase (when muscle lengthens)

For running, you gotta find your rhythm. I tried the "in with left foot strike, out with right right" type pattern but that was too fast paced for my tempo. I tend to breathe in and out with two steps. Works fine for me.

And yes it gets easier over time. This is coming from a guy who HATED endurance running. Fixed my form, applied techniques, and now I highly look forward to it. :ehh:

CanesMiamiLakers

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I ran again today I did a little better. I ran one lap and walked one lap and then ran another.
I also did stairs which had me with the noodle/ shaky legs. I'm about to rest until Sunday and then get back at it.

SemiEnlightenedBum

The Project's Manly P Hall
Resting in Peace
Daps
Reppin
I'm Hard Like D-Block Readin The Book Of Enoch...
practice smothering yourself with a pillow until your breathing becomes labored,then release yourself and focus on how good it feels for your lungs&overall body to catch that sacred pranic breathing..make it a meditation technique and soon you'll release that subconscious hold and feel the bliss of breathing,even with the chem trails and pollution..

jerniebert

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Fresno, Ca
Good breathing exercise is to cover up one nostril then breath in through the open nostril. Then cover the one you just breathed in through and exhale through the other nostril. Once you've exhaled through that nostril inhale through that same nostril. Cover the nostril you just inhaled through and exhale through the opposite. Repeat this process for about 3 to 5 minutes and your nasal cavities will open up. Most people don't realize that when you breathe you are usually only breathing through one side.

I had a deviated septum almost all my life and I barely got it fixed this past summer. One nostril was completely blicked off and the other was about 25% blocked.I never knew the luxuries of being able to breathe properly. I still resort back to breathing through my mouth a lot but through the breathing exercise I mentioned above I am breaking away from my old habits. Yoga is also great for breathing.

Spliff

Godzilla got busy.
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
I had a deviated septum almost all my life and I barely got it fixed this past summer. One nostril was completely blicked off and the other was about 25% blocked.

Surgery?

My septum leanin too. Trynna find time to correct during summer.

jerniebert

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Fresno, Ca
Surgery?

My septum leanin too. Trynna find time to correct during summer.
Yeah had surgery. Just a warning it hurts a lot more then you would think. I was thinking two weeks I'd be good to go ready to work out and play ball. I was wrong. Especially when the doctor removed stitches and guaze from my nose. Get ready to tear up. But night and day on how much more athletic and better I feel. I never knew how great it was to be able to breathe. Something that comes natural to most people. I was fortunate that I heeled good. No crazy bruising or anything like that.

CanesMiamiLakers

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yeah had surgery. Just a warning it hurts a lot more then you would think. I was thinking two weeks I'd be good to go ready to work out and play ball. I was wrong. Especially when the doctor removed stitches and guaze from my nose. Get ready to tear up. But night and day on how much more athletic and better I feel. I never knew how great it was to be able to breathe. Something that comes natural to most people. I was fortunate that I heeled good. No crazy bruising or anything like that.
Are you saying you couldn't breathe out of one nostril? Because one of my nostrils are always a little clogged up

jerniebert

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Fresno, Ca
Are you saying you couldn't breathe out of one nostril? Because one of my nostrils are always a little clogged up
Yeah one of my nostrils was completely plugged up. When i was 3 or 4 i drank lye (like draino) when my dad was cleaning out a drain. It burned the inside of my nostrils and ive had permanent scar tissue built up in my nasal passage. So one was blocked and the other was partially blocked. My parents were to poor to afford medical care throughout my youth so it never got fixed. Last year i finally decided to get it fixed. Thank god for insurance because it was a $50000 surgery. It never really dawned on me to get it fixed because i had lived like this all my life so i had adapted to it. Now after 34 years of bad breathing habits i am finally breaking myself of them through breathing exercises and yoga. I am easily in the best shape of my life and ive always been pretty athletic. now my athleticism is on a different level then ive ever been on. Simple things like drinking water are now easier.