Apple TV 4K streaming box worth it?

shutterguy

Photographer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cleveland
I was thinking of picking one up, I already have Nvidia Shield Pro box however the Apple TV app looks like 720/1080 trash on it. Netflix, Prime, YT, everything else is fine on the Shield. Does the Apple TV support NAS streaming?

shutterguy

Photographer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cleveland
You native TV apps don't stream 4k?

I can get 4K from all the apps that offer it except Apple TV on the Shield, and that is the device I have connected to my receiver. There is complaint thread on Reddit about the Apple app on the Shield. Figured I give Apple's own device a try and see if it's any better.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I'm looking to get one off FB to use for Home kit since they disabled iPads. Likely a 1st gen 4K model.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Bought a first generation 4K model for $40 off FBM. I like the device. I'm not sure what the newer models have over it but I can use homekit outside my home again. The remote is trash. Has a black touch pad. I use my Harmony Elite.

Hoshi_Toshi

Superstar
Daps
I have the last 3 generations. I have a bunch of HomeKit lights and automations so I used the tv as the hub. I think you can use the HomePod as well.

I like the newest gen because the remote is better. Other than that I just like using my iPhone to automatically enter my password when I have to log in to apps.

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
I have the last 3 generations. I have a bunch of HomeKit lights and automations so I used the tv as the hub. I think you can use the HomePod as well.

I like the newest gen because the remote is better. Other than that I just like using my iPhone to automatically enter my password when I have to log in to apps.

yeah I have 3 TV 4K's.

like u said, they are fully ecosystem compatible. I also use them to control the lights. u can play your music thru them via air drop or thru the native apple music or spotify apps. what I really like, is there's no fukking ads in them at all. just your apps running smooth as hell. plus the tv app aggregates all your streaming service programming (except tubi & netflix) into one app, so you can just watch your shows right from there. I use my iphone to turn on my tv's as I move from room to room and turn on the lights in those rooms as well.

also apple tv's never suffer from lag and general slowdown like the native apps in your tv.

Last edited: