AP African American Studies pilot debuts in 2022 /* full rollout in 2024-25 /* some states pull the plug at the last minute

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Last edited:

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

July 2022

Advanced Placement African American Studies Launches Pilot Summer Institute at Howard University​

Washington – The Howard University School of Education announced it will host the Advanced Placement Summer Institute (APSI) from July 11-15 for the College Board’s African American studies course pilot program. Howard is the only HBCU in the country to host the Summer institutes. The School of Education is committed to attracting Black and Latinx high school teachers to the institute in an effort to increase the diversity of AP educators nationwide.
The College Board AP Program affords high school students the opportunity to earn college credit for courses taken during high school. After over a decade of interest in offering African American studies, the AP Program is conducting a two-year pilot for the course to incorporate student and teacher feedback, test and refine a robust suite of course resources, and deepen engagement with African American communities. The course will be offered in approximately 60 high schools in the first year of the pilot program and will expand to over 200 schools in its second year.

“I am excited to learn that the College Board has finally made this move. African American history, and more broadly African American studies, is an essential core body of knowledge that cannot be ignore,” said Nikki Taylor, chair of the Howard University history department. “A solid understanding of how African Americans have shaped America, its history, laws, institutions, culture and arts, and even the current practice of American democracy, sharpens all knowledge about our nation. Moreover, African American history educators tend to be very strong as a whole, so I am confident they have the expertise and skill needed to move students forward as they prepare for college.”

The proposed new course in African American studies will deepen and strengthen the AP program’s longstanding commitment to serve diverse communities with culturally relevant and challenging coursework. Both students and teachers will reap benefits from this course. Benefits include increased funding for schools serving low-income students to acquire college-level textbooks and professional development opportunities.

Educators are required to attend Summer institutes to teach AP courses. During the four-day event they will receive intensive training on the curriculum and AP teaching methods. The first day of training will conclude with an evening reception featuring guest speakers from Howard University and the College Board.
picture-1315-1566840897.jpg
“We are thrilled to welcome AP African American studies teachers to Howard, an institution that has played a pivotal role in African American history and scholarship. We are excited to partner with Howard specifically, given its leading reputation for serving Black students and educators,” said Brandi Waters, Ph.D., director of AP African American studies. “This course will offer students across the country a rigorous and inspiring introduction to African American studies, and Howard is the perfect place to begin that work

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
That’s dope. Berkeley High out here actually has an African American studies program where kids who elect that track as their humanities track take classes all four years, will be cool to see that track be rewarded with an AP course that provides college credits

Last edited:

GoAggieGo.

getting blitzed.
Daps
Reppin
ATL via Tre 4
That’s pretty dope.

I wish this was offered back when I was in high school in Mississippi. Although the high school I went to was few in numbers (6% AA) when it came to us, the state is still a black state. AA studies should definitely be apart of the curriculum. We should’ve learned more than the little bit that we did.

WTFisWallace?

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Dade County
This is fire. I took AP Language Arts or some shyt…..and also AP, I wanna say Geography or history….was disinterested, didn’t try, got kicked out of it.

But something like this would’ve been dope to me in high school, especially with the right type of teacher.

Geode

All Star
Daps
Personally, I have mixed emotions. But overall I'm glad this is out there. I hope it gets pushed to the right places and appreciated.

invalid

Banned
Daps

James Turner is the founding Director of the Africana Studies & Research Center--founded 1969--and is a professor emeritus of African and African American Politics and Social Policy at Cornell. He also organized Cornell's Council on African Studies, forming a basis for the university's interdisciplinary African Studies. Turner initiated the term "Africana Studies" to conceptualize the comprehensive studies of the African diaspora and the three primary global Black communities--Africa, North America, and the Caribbean. The Africana paradigm is now widely adopted by educational programs as the epistemology for the field of Black Studies. Turner was a founding member of TransAfrica, an African American lobbying organization. During the 1970's, he was national organizer of the Southern Africa Liberation Support Committee, which pressed the anti-apartheid campaign in the United States. In 1974, he served as chair of the North American delegation to the Sixth Pan African Congress, and in 1973, he co-chaired the International Congress of Africanists in Ethiopia. As a Schomburg Research Fellow at the Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture, Turner conducted research on the political philosophy of Malcolm X that served as the basis for his work on the prize-winning PBS series Eyes on the Prize. The recipient of the Association of Black Sociologists' Award of Distinction, he has served as president of the African Heritage Studies Association and on the editorial boards of several leading Black Studies journals.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

James Turner is the founding Director of the Africana Studies & Research Center--founded 1969--and is a professor emeritus of African and African American Politics and Social Policy at Cornell. He also organized Cornell's Council on African Studies, forming a basis for the university's interdisciplinary African Studies. Turner initiated the term "Africana Studies" to conceptualize the comprehensive studies of the African diaspora and the three primary global Black communities--Africa, North America, and the Caribbean. The Africana paradigm is now widely adopted by educational programs as the epistemology for the field of Black Studies. Turner was a founding member of TransAfrica, an African American lobbying organization. During the 1970's, he was national organizer of the Southern Africa Liberation Support Committee, which pressed the anti-apartheid campaign in the United States. In 1974, he served as chair of the North American delegation to the Sixth Pan African Congress, and in 1973, he co-chaired the International Congress of Africanists in Ethiopia. As a Schomburg Research Fellow at the Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture, Turner conducted research on the political philosophy of Malcolm X that served as the basis for his work on the prize-winning PBS series Eyes on the Prize. The recipient of the Association of Black Sociologists' Award of Distinction, he has served as president of the African Heritage Studies Association and on the editorial boards of several leading Black Studies journals.

Wow, Rest In Peace to him.
Familiar with some of his work and of that Dept. at Cornell. Did not know that he was such a pioneer and significant figure.

Last edited:

Daio

PS_UMTS
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Little Rock
My school had a Black American History class. It was an elective

Our Teacher was black Pastor who also taught Social studies. The class was entirely black students and he would rant his ass off about white people back in his day

this was in 1999-2001