Anyone here have a good example to Counter a Job Offer Letter?

morris

Superstar
Daps
I received a job offer today but the pay is much lower than I thought. There is a monthly bonus structure but it's less than 1K a month--if reached.

I would also have to buy a monthly metro pass due to travel. I have more than a year experience in this (trainer role).

This offer was made by one of the hiring managers, not a recruiter.

I went online and saw a few letters I can splice together. Any and all advice/letter examples are welcomed.

morris

Superstar
Daps
Just call them up and tell them your salary expectation. If they say no? Bounce. If you can't say no, they prob ably already smelled the desperation on you and lowballed you.
You're a smart man. I can say no as I am already employed but I'd rather be there. I sent an email as they want the letter signed by Monday. If they say this is the best we can do I will tell them that I will think it over the weekend and I will also advise my current employer of the opportunity and see if there are any alternatives.

RubioTheCruel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
You're a smart man. I can say no as I am already employed but I'd rather be there. I sent an email as they want the letter signed by Monday. If they say this is the best we can do I will tell them that I will think it over the weekend and I will also advise my current employer of the opportunity and see if there are any alternatives.

If they like you there's always more money. It's a pain in the ass to go through the hiring process on both ends.

RubioTheCruel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY

If you tell your current employer that you're so far along the hiring process with another company that you've got an offer letter there's a fairly reasonable chance they terminate you on the spot. At best, your job situation if you choose to stay will be tenuous(you've already shown you've got one foot out the door and will jump as soon as you get a better offer, you're first on the chopping block if layoffs are needed).

Primetime21

This my city
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lemongrass, cherries, alkaline water
IllPreciousAnemone-max-1mb.gif

Gold

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
In my experience (take this with a grain of salt) but i've never typed up a formal counter. I've always done it on the phone.
I've said "This amount is too low" or "This amount is lower than my previous job"

I'm not saying this is the best way but i've negotiated every job i've gotten and it seems to work pretty well.

Besides if its a hard no, its a hard no, nothing you can do.

But they usually go back and say some shyt like "we'll see what we can do"

morris

Superstar
Daps
If you tell your current employer that you're so far along the hiring process with another company that you've got an offer letter there's a fairly reasonable chance they terminate you on the spot. At best, your job situation if you choose to stay will be tenuous(you've already shown you've got one foot out the door and will jump as soon as you get a better offer, you're first on the chopping block if layoffs are needed).

Appreciate your insight as it's well thought out. Termination is not really int he plan as 2 CURRENT employers have shown them ultimatums and 1 received a promotion the other a raise and other perks (working remotely in another state). Global Supply Chain is a niche field and surprisingly, positions are not easy to fill (I am not even from this industry!)

But again, appreciate your insight. Much appreciated

In my experience (take this with a grain of salt) but i've never typed up a formal counter. I've always done it on the phone.
I've said "This amount is too low" or "This amount is lower than my previous job"

I'm not saying this is the best way but i've negotiated every job i've gotten and it seems to work pretty well.

Besides if its a hard no, its a hard no, nothing you can do.

But they usually go back and say some shyt like "we'll see what we can do"

Yes, this is more of an slight increase in my current pay (damn near a lateral pay). I have a figure that is less than the top pay in the industry in that city but higher than an entry-level position.