Anyone ever torn/strain a calf muscle?

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
because I'm currently dealing with this now. almost 2 weeks ago it was like 70, and I wanted to go outside and do a long run. ran the first 5 miles like :whew:, but then I pulled a muscle in my calf, and i proceeded to run almost another 4 miles after that, and I paid dearly for it.

not only did it hurt like hell when I got home, but I have been basically unable to run since then. went out last saturday after resting the week, and had to tap out at 2 miles.

went out today again after resting another week, and I was able to do 5 miles this time. I wasnt even tired but my leg was hurting a little. I don't think I re-injured it, but it's clear that it's still not fully healed. and I still can't run as fast as I like.

anyone know how long it takes for this type of injury to fully heal up??

Nymbus

Great Value Man™
Supporter
Daps
Happened to me once during sprints practice,iced it,stretched it and just treated it gently for a week and I was able to ease back into running.
Then again,mine might not have been as damaged as yours...

Spliff

Godzilla got busy.
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
Rest ice and stretch the fukk out of it. Once the pain is managed then GRADUALLY ease your way into your usual activities. Like run 1 mile a couple times til its pain free, then 2 til its pain free, etc. If it gets worse from session to session then discontinue running for awhile and perform general calf strengthening exercises for a bit and start over with easing your way back into running.

Goin 0-100 after time off usually ends up in injury. And you're an older breh, you not gonna snap back like you're 20.

Daps
you
because I'm currently dealing with this now. almost 2 weeks ago it was like 70, and I wanted to go outside and do a long run. ran the first 5 miles like :whew:, but then I pulled a muscle in my calf, and i proceeded to run almost another 4 miles after that, and I paid dearly for it.

not only did it hurt like hell when I got home, but I have been basically unable to run since then. went out last saturday after resting the week, and had to tap out at 2 miles.

went out today again after resting another week, and I was able to do 5 miles this time. I wasnt even tired but my leg was hurting a little. I don't think I re-injured it, but it's clear that it's still not fully healed. and I still can't run as fast as I like.

anyone know how long it takes for this type of injury to fully heal up??
should go see a doctor if you havent yet

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
you

should go see a doctor if you havent yet

I didn't do that. I have had this injury once a few years ago.

anyways, I'm almost better. I cannot run as fast as I want, but I did go out monday and did a little over 6 miles, and then on wednesday and did like 7.5 miles. I was a little sore after, but I didn't re-injure it. it's still kinda tight, but healing none the less. I'm going to try and do 8 miles tomorrow morning. since coming back, I haven't ran consecutive days yet on purpose. once I get my speed back, then I should be at 100%.