Anyone else lower back get tight when running?

Nasty_Nate

Each one, teach one...
Daps
Reppin
I used to when I used to heel strike. Once I changed my form, haven’t had many issues with back pain while running.

NatiboyB

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
A lot of people don't realize it but they put strain on their body by having bad running posture...Its one thing to run for survival but when you are running for cardio/enjoyment you have to find your running posture...I've tried everything from the POSE method to a few others until I found out what method worked best for me...

Also make sure you are properly warmed up and stretch.

Spree At Last

All Star
Daps
I had this problem for a long time. I never had any back issues playing ball, but every time I ran more than a mile my back would lock up. Finally last year I watched some running form videos on youtube (mainly from this channel Vo2maxProductions) and made a couple changes to my running form: straighten up my back when running (always look straight ahead, not down at your feet), eliminate hip drop which I did via a lot of glute exercises like bridges and hip pullthrus, and core work+stretching like others have said. Specifically hip flexor stretches have been helpful for me. Now i have no issues with my low back when running.

Human Torch

Byrd Gang 🦅
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Philly born. PG raised
I had this problem for a long time. I never had any back issues playing ball, but every time I ran more than a mile my back would lock up. Finally last year I watched some running form videos on youtube (mainly from this channel Vo2maxProductions) and made a couple changes to my running form: straighten up my back when running (always look straight ahead, not down at your feet), eliminate hip drop which I did via a lot of glute exercises like bridges and hip pullthrus, and core work+stretching like others have said. Specifically hip flexor stretches have been helpful for me. Now i have no issues with my low back when running.

I have this issue due to some herniated discs. Do you have any other core and stretching exercises?

Funny thing is, I started a stretch routine yesterday.

DJ Paul's Arm

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Cali
Yup

Gotta stretch bruh. I use to go straight to the treadmill after getting into the gym. shyt fukked me up until I started doing them 20 minute stretches I remembered from highschool football practices.

Never happened to me again.

Full body streches before running cuh

Spree At Last

All Star
Daps
I have this issue due to some herniated discs. Do you have any other core and stretching exercises?

Funny thing is, I started a stretch routine yesterday.

my routine is when i get to the track, immediately jog 1-2 laps super slowly. then i do a simple stretching routine, which is basically two main stretches. first, i hold a lunge position for 30 sec each leg (you need to squeeze your glutes (pause) while doing it to get the max stretch), do this 2x for each leg. then hold a deep squat w/ heels on ground for 45 sec, repeat. then i do 3-4 reps of RKC planks for 30 sec each (like normal planks except you squeeze your core and glutes hard when doing em). after that, i start my main run. honestly i'm not sure if these stretches are necessary or if my running form adjustments were enough, but it takes like 10 mins and i haven't had any back pain since i started it so ima keep doin em lol.

KodeBlue

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
Your running form could be an issue. If you slightly lean forward when you run, it can cause a sore lower back. Make sure you're running upright.

KING WILL

Superstar
Daps
Your running form could be an issue. If you slightly lean forward when you run, it can cause a sore lower back. Make sure you're running upright.

I think this is it.

Im good when running.

But, a lil while ago I trying to "sprint" the last 10 mins of my workout on the elip. I bent over cuz it was easier. Back got real tight later that night.