Any thoughts on the BYP100?

Concerning VIolence

Decolonizer
Daps
Reppin
the belly of the empire
Black Youth Project 100 (BYP100)

Heard about them long ago, and just revisited some thoughts on them. Their organization and mission at face value looks righteous and on point.

Got even tempted to join them, but then I looked over on the about page

"BYP100 is an activist member-based organization of Black 18-35 year olds, dedicated to creating justice and freedom for all Black people. We do this through building a collective focused on transformative leadership development, direct action organizing, advocacy and education using a Black queer feminist lens."

and on their requirements of commitment:

"Are committed to building a Black politic in a Black queer, feminist/ womanist positive, space even if they don’t hold those specific beliefs"

Just really left me :patrice:

Last edited:

JahFocus CS

Get It How You Get It
Daps
Reppin
Republic of New Afrika
I have no issue with bringing traditionally-marginalized Black voices, such as those of Black women and queer Black folks, to the fore. Their voices are not less important than those of heterosexual Black males and the fact that people on here (and obviously IRL too) so cavalierly throw around "fakkit" and "bytch" speaks to why these folks feel the need to organize around their own identities in the first place.