Any of you given serious thought to studying Mandarin

MaccabeanRebel

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The outer limits
I constantly think about learning mandarin then ease back after realizing how many characters I need to learn....I could probably accomplish so much else in the time it would take me to master mandarin with self study.

I picked up a assimil chinese with ease course but haven't done it yet..I also picked up a chinese: teach yourself course.

Give me motivation brehs...:bryan:

El_Mero_Mero

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
So, there was a comment that said" It won't matter unless you are in their neighborhoods", but you fail to see that as more of them take over and as more Blacks and Latinos fall through the cracks, they'll keep making Chinatowns and start taking over neighborhoods.

I'm about to restart Japanese again for the 3rd or 4th time. I don't feel too intimidated by it as I already have a semi-base, or at least know how good I could be as I know how good I was before. Chinese though, that would be hard as shyt.

I ain't bending to know one, but if they take over then you gotta play ball, man.

About learning a language benefiting you as an ESL teacher? In most countries, they will scold you if you are caught trying to explain an English concept to someone by using their native language with them (I think it would be easier to teach them by explaining it to them in their native language), but I think the goal is to get them to not even be thinking about their native language.

Alot of foreigners have GREAT english in written form and can write GREAT essays, but their spoken English sucks because they don't practice it.

Daps
My mom bought me a cantonese language program when I was like 14 and I'm nowhere near fluent. shyt, I can't even order my take out with the proper pronunciation