Any of you given serious thought to studying Mandarin

El_Mero_Mero

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
So, who has given any serious thought to learning Chinese (Mandarin). I'm asking because I know that in NYC, Spanish is pretty much everywhere, and if people would've made that mandatory 20-30 years ago then that would've opened up alot communication channels in the city.

Everyday I see more and more Chinese in NYC. They are increasingly not needing to know how to speak English. Any of y'all ever thought of learning their language. As it stands now, the younger ones in this country will all learn English, so as far as getting that poontang pie I guess you don't need Chinese, but eventually even for the young ones you may need Mandarin just to know what they're saying because they won't feel the need to learn English.

Poh SIti Dawn

Staying Positive, Getting Better Everyday. Holler!
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I say learn it, it can't hurt you plus it's good for the brain; but just be sure to enjoy yourself while doing it.

Aizen

Absolute Sovereign
Daps
Reppin
Liberia, Madagascar
I learned Mandarin because I like to speak it. But when you see Chinese students who come here, I am always shocked how their English is better than many people born and raised in America. I've edited many papers for friends and acquaintances alike and believe it or not, the worst English I saw didn't come from the Chinese.

Many Chinese-Americans are better with English than Chinese because their Chinese is often limited to speaking and struggle with writing Chinese. Not to stereotype but the Chinese with very poor English either had a poor education (some of the rural schools there are bad and I've seen it) or they missed out on the recent 20 year and newer push to make students fluent before reaching college.

Daps
Reppin
The Beach
So, who has given any serious thought to learning Chinese (Mandarin). I'm asking because I know that in NYC, Spanish is pretty much everywhere, and if people would've made that mandatory 20-30 years ago then that would've opened up alot communication channels in the city.

Everyday I see more and more Chinese in NYC. They are increasingly not needing to know how to speak English. Any of y'all ever thought of learning their language. As it stands now, the younger ones in this country will all learn English, so as far as getting that poontang pie I guess you don't need Chinese, but eventually even for the young ones you may need Mandarin just to know what they're saying because they won't feel the need to learn English.

So it's not their responsibility when they come to another country to learn the language? We should bend for them?

fukk outta here.

When I lived in Greece and Germany - guess what languages i spoke - Greek and German. :pacspit:

Come to California and see how effective it is to let motherfukkers come over and speak what they hell they want. If you wanna fukk Chinese bytches, fukk them but don't force your p*ssy-seeking/ass-kissing ways on the rest of us.

:snooze:

Brofato

Fade Doe
Daps
I've given some thought to it. But I've also tried learning Spanish and continuing the little French I had in high school. I usually get distracted though.

J.Pinkman

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Well Mandarin is the most spoken language in the world so it won't hurt to learn it. I don't know what sector you're in but it can widen your opportunities ten fold

ch15x

Mountaineer
Daps
Reppin
TN (east)
I need to backtrack to Spanish/French, before tackling anything else... :snoop:

Sounds interesting, though (adds to list)...:ohhh:

M617

retired
Supporter
Daps
fukk that. i live in a building where i hear it daily from the neighbors. the reason i say fukk that is because it would be far better to learn spanish, mandarin sounds really hard and awkward to learn and really they are not going to take over unless your in their neighborhood so it would be a waste of time and energy

J.Pinkman

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
fukk that. i live in a building where i hear it daily from the neighbors. the reason i say fukk that is because it would be far better to learn spanish, mandarin sounds really hard and awkward to learn and really they are not going to take over unless your in their neighborhood so it would be a waste of time and energy
Learning any new language is hardly a waste of time, especially when people on here probably spend hours a day posting on forums

M617

retired
Supporter
Daps
Learning any new language is hardly a waste of time, especially when people on here probably spend hours a day posting on forums
you're right about it not being a waste of time but as a language in the USA spanish is easily first and will never be later than 2nd here both obviously after english of course

TheArchitect

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I really want to take Japanese; but Chinese is sounding like a good idea as well....

For someone wanting to be an esl teacher, does anyone think or know that learning Chinese (as well as any other language) can help your opportunities?...