Any of y'all dealt with an elderly family member?

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I should clarify - one there is near end of life and the emotional fallout that comes with it.

My elderly grandmother is 85 and she almost died due to a UTI a few weeks ago. She's back to her full self but unfortunately some issues that occurred prior to her being in the hospital have returned.

She is belligerent towards my aunt who is the primary caretaker of her. She does the same behavior towards my mother who comes on the weekend.

I'm visiting them and decided to take them out to church and brunch. Towards the end of the evening she lashed out my aunt and mother. The insult extended to her talking about my sister and her choice of partner, bringing up stuff from decades ago, etc.

My grandmother is also EXTREMELY jealous and needy. She will tell my mother to stop having a relationship with my stepfathers side because he's been dead for 7 years and get upset if my mother spends time with them. This weekend I had to cover for my mom not coming over to see my grandma and aunt Saturday so we could have a birthday dinner with my aunt on that side. MIND YOU we spent most of Thurs and Friday with them and we all planned to do church/brunch Sunday.

This is obviously causing a huge emotional and mental strain on everyone.

My uncle tends to be removed and disconnected from it. When he comes in town he does the bare minimum face time. Being that there aren't many adult men in the family it tends to fall on me to help out when I visit. This puts a strain on me also.

My aunt is retired but my mother still works and thankfully she works remotely but they will denigrate her and say she isn't working etc because neither my aunt or grandma have worked in tech so they don't know.

I've suggested that we get someone to come in and caretaker my grandmother for 10 - 12 hours a week. My aunt tends to give huge resistance on this in spite of what's occurring. Many of us have offered money for it and you would think after my grandma's near death experience that they would. Really it comes down to egos involved. My aunt says she doesn't trust anyone in their house so they will suggest getting my younger cousin in his 30s to come down to help and pay him. But he has a kid and he's not a medical professional and needs to get his life straight.

I'm just frustrated because I know when I leave the problem will still be there. I'm also angry that my grandmother has been acting like this. She doesn't have dementia so I don't know what the hell to do.

Not sure if anyone has navigated similar but please I'm open to advice.

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Also...I'll probably add more in regarding family dynamics but some of the shyt my grandmother says when she's on one is disgusting. My mother has even went to the point of saying when my sister comes in town that they won't even visit her.

It's sad because my grandmother raised me growing up for a while when my mom had to work out of state so I love her a lot and hate to see her decline, but part of me knows she isn't perfect and is one to gossip, be jealous, etc so I hate that.

JP_614

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Aloha State
@ViShawn If it’s stressing you guys out don’t be afraid to pay for someone else to do the care. At that age you do was best for the persons health until it’s there time to go. Don’t feel bad about you know she helped raise a good grandson to be able to help out like you are doing. My grandma was 84 when she left this beautiful earth. She always wanted to live her last days in Paducah Kentucky. The care she needed the country couldn’t offer what she needed to live good and comfortable. She needed round the clock care so her kids made a choice to do what’s best for her health. Even though they might complain. God bless you and your family.

Coco Loco

The Chocolate One with the Gold Cuffs
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Does your aunt get paid to take care of her mom, and is she your granny's POA?

If so, that is probably the main reason she doesn't want someone else taking care of her

She'll lose money and control of the situation

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Does your aunt get paid to take care of her mom, and is she your granny's POA?

If so, that is probably the main reason she doesn't want someone else taking care of her

She'll lose money and control
No she isn't getting paid. She's retired from the government and has money coming in. She should be traveling and enjoying her retirement.

Also no I don't think she has POA.

MBwithadream

All Star
Daps
I should clarify - one there is near end of life and the emotional fallout that comes with it.

My elderly grandmother is 85 and she almost died due to a UTI a few weeks ago. She's back to her full self but unfortunately some issues that occurred prior to her being in the hospital have returned.

She is belligerent towards my aunt who is the primary caretaker of her. She does the same behavior towards my mother who comes on the weekend.

I'm visiting them and decided to take them out to church and brunch. Towards the end of the evening she lashed out my aunt and mother. The insult extended to her talking about my sister and her choice of partner, bringing up stuff from decades ago, etc.

My grandmother is also EXTREMELY jealous and needy. She will tell my mother to stop having a relationship with my stepfathers side because he's been dead for 7 years and get upset if my mother spends time with them. This weekend I had to cover for my mom not coming over to see my grandma and aunt Saturday so we could have a birthday dinner with my aunt on that side. MIND YOU we spent most of Thurs and Friday with them and we all planned to do church/brunch Sunday.

This is obviously causing a huge emotional and mental strain on everyone.

My uncle tends to be removed and disconnected from it. When he comes in town he does the bare minimum face time. Being that there aren't many adult men in the family it tends to fall on me to help out when I visit. This puts a strain on me also.

My aunt is retired but my mother still works and thankfully she works remotely but they will denigrate her and say she isn't working etc because neither my aunt or grandma have worked in tech so they don't know.

I've suggested that we get someone to come in and caretaker my grandmother for 10 - 12 hours a week. My aunt tends to give huge resistance on this in spite of what's occurring. Many of us have offered money for it and you would think after my grandma's near death experience that they would. Really it comes down to egos involved. My aunt says she doesn't trust anyone in their house so they will suggest getting my younger cousin in his 30s to come down to help and pay him. But he has a kid and he's not a medical professional and needs to get his life straight.

I'm just frustrated because I know when I leave the problem will still be there. I'm also angry that my grandmother has been acting like this. She doesn't have dementia so I don't know what the hell to do.

Not sure if anyone has navigated similar but please I'm open to advice.
Stay the course. My mom my sister and me took care my grandma for almost 20 years until she died in 2018. Take breaks when you do a shift of rotation. Part of the reason I can't work coz the stress it causes me mentally. Pray talk to God/Yah he help guide you in your decision making.