Another One! South Carolina passes law allows people 18 and older to carry a firearm without training or having it registered in their name

Charlie Hustle

Light Bringer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Sin City
South Carolina has become the 29th state to adopt the Constitutional Carry Law which allows people 18 and older to carry a firearm without training or having it registered in their name

NORTH AUGUSTA, S.C. (WJBF) –
A new South Carolina law will make it easier to LEGALLY carry a gun in the Palmetto State.

South Carolina has become the 29th state to adopt the Constitutional Carry Law, which allows people 18 and older to carry a firearm without training or having it registered in their name.

“Well, I think it’s a mistake. If they’re gonna make it mandatory or say that we can carry at the age of 18 a person can carry, I think it should be mandatory that they be educated. That’s my opinion. You wanna carry a weapon, get educated,” Curtis H. said.

On March 7th, Governor Henry McMaster It took effect as soon as it was signed.

“I’m a 100% pro-Second Amendment, so obviously, I wouldn’t be doing this with my father if I didn’t feel this way. However, with any great right or privilege, you should take on the responsibility associated with it,” Gr8 Dealz Gun Pawn Owner Jaime Mckie said.

And local gun shop owners like Jaime Mckie say education is the most important thing when it comes to making this new law work.

“Whether you’re 18 or 80, you still need to be educated to drive a car. I feel like you need to be educated as well to carry a firearm.”

No license or training is required to carry a weapon, but there are still rules gun owners need to follow.

Carrying a weapon in schools, churches, government, and law enforcement buildings is still prohibited.

Some gun owners we talked with wish training would be mandatory with the law.

“It should be a requirement, by law, that you be educated. One should be educated while carrying a weapon because it’s critical. If you don’t have the knowledge and understanding of the safety of a weapon, then, it’s like a loaded gun being in irresponsible hands,” Curtis H. said.

The new law still also provides more optional, free gun training across the state, even though it is not required.

“They say that they’re going to offer free classes as far as gun safety. I was a school teacher for 20 years. I know that if you remove a requirement, you remove the incentive,” Mckie said.

The new law also increases penalties for those who carry guns into places where they are banned.

H. 3594 – Constitutional Carry Guidance
To Chiefs, Sheriffs, and Law Enforcement Officers:
H. 3594 as signed by the Governor on March 7, 2024, authorizes individuals who are not
otherwise prohibited from possessing a firearm, to legally possess a firearm openly or concealed
without training and without a concealed weapons permit issued by SLED. This legislation leaves
in place the CWP program run by SLED for individuals who wish to continue carrying a firearm
pursuant to a permit. The CWP will continue to give the individual reciprocity with other
recognizing states and makes purchasing a firearm from a dealer easier.

• This law is in effect immediately.
• It allows individuals 18 years old and older to carry firearms openly or concealed without a permit.
• There are no restrictions of guns inside vehicles. Guns can be stored anywhere inside the vehicle openly or concealed.
• Possession of a firearm alone is NOT a reason to stop an individual. To make a stop, there must be reasonable and articulable suspicion a crime has occurred. Law enforcement officers cannot conduct a stop solely because a firearm is visible.
• A CWP holder or a person carrying a firearm without a permit pursuant to this law DOES NOT have a duty to notify a law enforcement officer that they are carrying a
firearm.
• Insofar as there is no longer a CWP requirement, a CWP holder is not required to carry his/her CWP or disclose his/her status as a CWP holder to a law enforcement officer.
• Firearms are still prohibited in many locations, including inside schools, churches, law enforcement facilities including detention and correctional facilities, anywhere medical procedures are performed, courthouses, public buildings, and any place clearly marked with a sign prohibiting the carrying of a firearm.
• Individuals 18 years of age and older will now be eligible to apply for a CWP.

NoMorePie

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Mississauga
61MW-kDRTiL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg